SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momrules5831

Sleeping with a Snorer-How do you do it?!

runninginplace
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Nothing too serious here, but an honest question for you co-sleepers.

Husband and I got a sleep divorce years ago, and have kept separate bedrooms that allowed us to go to bed at different times on mattresses of different softness with bedding of different warmth levels and then to wake up at different times each morning. It's worked well and we have been quite content with that arrangement.

But we are doing a full house remodel so a couple of weeks ago we moved downstairs to our "honeymoon suite" AKA a small 1/1 apartment with *one* king size bed. Cue thunderclaps and ominous music.

Actually cue thunderclaps and ominous mouth music coming from my husband. I am stunned at how LOUD he is! He's always been a back sleeper and in the days when we last slept together he used to 'puff' for lack of a better term, which bothered me. But now....the noise is unbelievable. I'm not angry at him, it's not his fault but seriously the sound is unreal both in volume and actual composition.

So what I wonder every night as I lie there trying to go to sleep/ get back to sleep after being awakened/stay asleep after getting awakened at 4-5 am is how in the world do zillions of couples sleep in the same bed and somehow sleep through it? Get used to it? Not hear it? Become used to not sleeping or getting horribly fragmented sleep?

This is a real question. Though as mentioned our sleep situation has worked for us,I've always had a tiny twinge that we didn't share a bed since it's such an archetypal couple intimacy marker. (NB, our marital intimacy has never been a problem for us no matter where we actually slept ;).

So tell me how you wives of human freight trains do it. Aside from experiences, maybe someone can give me some news I can use since at this point I'm trying to accept that I will not get a decent night's sleep till well after the holidays when the work upstairs is done.

PS there literally is nowhere else to go sleep-only other resting place is an old IKEA couch that's way too hard to sleep on (I tried one night) and there is no door to the sleeping nook anyway

Comments (47)