SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skalsthrowaway

help me understand my options with house plans!

Sarah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

TLDR: how do I go about getting both the floor plan I need and the exterior I love?

The issue: I have been unable to find a single house plan (in the literal thousands of plans I’ve looked at) that has both the modern floor plan we need and the classical exterior architecture I love. I have contacted several architects inquiring about cost to draw up a custom plan for us, but the few quotes I got back were so expensive that it was cost prohibitive for us.
We’ve found a few floor plans that we like, but the exteriors (especially rooflines and dormers) are just not our style at all.
Is it possible to change these things without having to pay 10% of the overall budget? Can I take a couple floor plans and pictures of exteriors we like to somebody and have them make the floor plan fit the exterior style? If so, who and how costly is it?

The photos are of a home exterior style I love and a floor plan my husband and I like.
Background (if you care to know): After recently finding a rare empty lot in the perfect neighborhood in our town, my husband and I decided we had to get it while we could, so we are now building our forever house at age 27 (I’m terrified!) I have extremely “old fashioned” taste in architecture, my favorites being symmetrical colonials and cape cod homes. I detest the “McMansion” look with complex rooflines and the newer “modern farmhouse” homes with multiple front gables. I grew up in a small southern town with the most beautiful old homes, most of which were side gable colonials. I always assumed if I built a house someday, I’d work with an architect to make the perfect plan for us, but evidently that dream will have to remain a dream. Thanks for reading my ramblings!

ETA:

• Regarding costs, I’ve been quoted upwards of 6-10% of total house budget for an architect, while I’ve seen pricing for plan modifications going for $120/hour or $0.50/sq. ft.
  • Our budget is between $400-450k for a house between 2200-3000 sq.ft, 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. We have been quoted a rough price of $160/sq ft.
  • The lot is located in the Piedmont region of NC.
  • We do already know the lot dimensions, buildable area is 78’ wide x 118’ long.

ETA 2:

Attaching the two pics we have of the plot map. Zip code is 27330.

Comments (77)