SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_cz10

Discussion with StrawChicago about growing roses, health & nutrition

Bc _zone10b
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hope everyone is having a nice autumn! @strawchicago z5, wanted to see if you had any tips for dealing with midge in potted roses? I think I have midge damage on my Princess Charlene de Monaco, which was recently re-potted.

Also any tips on growing potted roses in CA? I am new to potted roses after growing in ground beack east in zone 5. I'm on the coast here in LA in zone 10b, so it doesn't usually go above 80F or below 50F.

Thanks Straw! Here are some pictures of the midge damage on my Princess Charlene.

and here is a random picture of my Abraham Darby blooming to balance out the ugly midge picture above ;)

Comments (107)

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

My Fun in the Sun grew well and bloom lots, looks like Carol's, but often had slightly different colors on each bloom, but it took a break in heat. I really enjoyed Fun in the Sun, but since your summer is more like Carol's you might get her performance.

My Bliss Parfume is NOT happy in a pot. It has very little scent and if I move it , it might have more, but that one is just way down on the list. It is similar to Abraham Darby, but Ab's scent and performance is so much better.

Apricot Candy is so very pretty, with a lovely soft apricot color. Grafted it smells like aprioct candy to me. Mine has mosaic virus and I am going to plant it in the ground anyway. I just love it's soft color and scent. Brendan...wonder if it's color depends on the weather? You might get bright in the heat, I get soft in my cool??? Semi-open buds, with bud. Bolero and pink interior in cool at far back.

Happy Dance, I was finally able to upload a picture!!!!!!

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw, would something like Azomite, or this below help with Princess Charlene Monaco in a pot? I used Azomite back east on my roses in the ground....but not sure if it's for pots.

I've read so many of your great tips of using sulfate of potash and gypsum for zillion petalled roses.....but always forget where to buy either of them.

Maybe Azomite provides the minerals needed?

Or would something like this on amazon help. This came up when I searched "Sulfate of Potash'"

I think I've seen bagged Gypsum at my nursery here by Epsoma brand

Here's what I just found on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Down-Earth-Langbeinite-Potassium-Fertilizer/dp/B00VJN96LG/ref=sr_1_20?crid=6I14HBDN01BP&keywords=sulfate+of+potash&qid=1636071450&qsid=130-1865773-7803126&sprefix=%2Caps%2C352&sr=8-20&sres=B0056QF79M%2CB00L225EXI%2CB092LM29WF%2CB004JD6MGK%2CB0725NYHVF%2CB07S4F5GHH%2CB07S7Z3XLT%2CB004JLYD9U%2CB07S6ZXKTQ%2CB00I842S2S%2CB0711QQ7L2%2CB07288RGWD%2CB0056QFR9W%2CB008NX4V60%2CB072334HQ8%2CB01GF5ALY8%2CB001B2SNYG%2CB00VJN96LG%2CB07ST16WKQ%2CB071GMQ29G&srpt=FERTILIZER

• Related Discussions

10/24/15: Feed rose & us toward health & lose weight & protect eyes

Q

Comments (66)
    Carol: I'm happy and proud for Holly. Autistic children are VERY SMART, and VERY GIFTED. Jess: I was puzzled by the 40 lbs. mistake too, I saw your hand in one of the pic., it's a slender hand. I'm happy that it's only 20 lbs., due to the kilograms conversion. Twenty pounds is easy to lose. It took me 6 months to lose 20 lbs. when I had the time to eat salad & apple & carrot & exercise. Then I got busy & get into fast-food & IV myself with juice ... and gained back 20 lbs. WEIGHT-LOSS is a life-long-habit to MAINTAIN, rather than a goal to achieve. People achieve that goal, go back to the old habits, and re-gain all-over again. Jim: Thanks for that link on processed meat, I read the entire article. I wish it would say how many people were involved in that study, or how many test-subjects. Re-post info. from Huffingpost on tips to lose weight: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tips-losing-weight_562e8606e4b00aa54a4ab51b "Aim for 20 to 35 grams of fiber a day from plant foods, since fiber helps fill you up and slows absorption of carbohydrates. " Portion control: Popular “100-calorie” food packages do the portion controlling for you Eating mindfully means giving full attention to what you eat, savoring each bite, acknowledging what you like and don’t like, and not eating when distracted (such as while watching TV, working on the computer). Chew slowly, and savor each bite: Keep in mind also that the most pleasure often comes from the first few bites of a food; after that, it’s the law of diminishing returns. Thus, you should focus on those first few tastes of chocolate, cake, or other indulgences, as this may be enough to satisfy. Get protein in all meals: Some research suggests that distributing your protein throughout the day also helps in weight loss, rather than eating the bulk of it at, say, dinnertime. According to a 2015 paper in theAmerican Journal of Clinical Nutrition, higher-protein diets that include at least 25 grams of protein at each meal may reduce appetite and thus body weight, compared with lower-protein diets. Limit variety at meals. Don’t drink your calories. Allow for (controlled) indulgences. Consider weighing yourself regularly—at least once a week." Huffington Post Tips. **** From Straw: I agree with the above. My lowest weights were achieved when I snacked on high-fiber & high-protein cereal with soy milk ... with at least 35 gram of fiber per day. Also at least 25 g. of protein for each meal, be it peanut-butter or eggs for breakfast, beans for lunch, or fish/meat for dinner. I gained weight whenever I forget to weigh myself at least once a week. Really love their tip of " Keep in mind also that the most pleasure often comes from the first few bites of a food; after that, it’s the law of diminishing returns." So true, I really enjoy the first 4 bites of peanut-butter toast, that's all I can remember ... the rest was just to fill my stomach. Dolly Parton stays slim with her life-long habit, she eats 3 bites of a yummy food, and NO MORE. Practice portion-control is actually fun, once it becomes a habit. So proud of myself last night, I had a sour fruit, so I grabbed a fig-bar, took 3 bites, it was too sweet ... Instead of finishing that, I told myself "You don't have to eat that, you can give it to God." So I wrapped the rest and put away, GREAT FEELING! It felt good to be in control over a piece of junk, and turning something over to God, rather than torturing my body with that.
    ...See More

10/30/15: bad habits, good habits, rose & health tips, recipes

Q

Comments (54)
    Wow!! Carol, I'm happy for you. Heel to toe for 8 steps takes a lot of coordination, and YOU DID IT. When my kid was 4 years old, she would be so happy when I lost weight on the scale ... health for my friends cheer me up more than roses. I'm elated when I heard Garran home & healthy, and I'm happy about rain for Jess & no more thorns in her toe. I am happy when my daughter is happy. I'm sure that's how God, our Father in heaven, feels .. He's happy when His children (us) are happy. My kid has a friend came over today (same age). The friend was on Ensure (canned nutrition with soy milk) .. her skin was clean this past summer. I did research on soy milk and thyroid disorder, yes, there's a slight link, esp. with carrageenan added. So I e-mailed this teenager info., and her nutritionist switched this gal from Ensure (soy-based) to Kefir (fermented cow-milk). Fast forward today, this friend gets pimples on her face. I feel bad since the bad news about dairy didn't come out until this year. I google thoroughly when I switched my child from soy-milk to cow milk .. could not find a link between cow milk and acne until recently. But I learn something: always look at how many people are involved in any study. The thyroid & soy link are just a few personal testimonies, versus the below: " The famous Nurse's Health Study examining health habits of 47,000 nurses found that those who drank more milk as teenagers had much higher rates of severe acne than those who had little or no milk as teenagers. In other studies of over 10,000 boys and girls from 9 to 15 years old, there was a direct link between the amount of milk consumed and the severity of acne." Today I'm back to the diet that I was on when I was skinny: soy milk (new formula without carrageenan) & high fiber cereal ... I feel so much better & more energy. My kid loves her cereal & soy milk. She could NOT handle cow-milk either .. she's lactose-intolerant. I checked on soy milk again before I switch back: if the soy-protein is concentrated, like soy Isolate in faked meat, then it will screw up the thyroid. If the soy is concentrated and made on aluminum equipment, like tofu, then that will UP the risk of Alzheimer's. But soy milk in low dose with cereal, isn't bad ... at least it's freed of hormones, antibiotics, feces, and pus like in cow's milk. Soy milk is easier to digest, plus zero cholesterol. What I like the most is: it smells clean, NOT strong like cow-milk.
    ...See More

Worthy roses that give, useful products & recipes for health & sleep

Q

Comments (141)
    Vaporvac: Thank you !! I post info. here to help myself & family toward better health. The kelp & iodine info. posted in Feb 2017 helped me to get down to 118 lb. in August 2017. I always snack 2 hours before bedtime, and keep a diary of what's eaten before bedtime and the quality of sleep. I notice that when I had Multigrain Cheerios before bedtime, my sleep quality was poor (zero dreams), plus icky chemical-acrid-after-taste. Then I bought gluten-free FREEDOM ancient grains (rice & corn & sorghum & buckwheat) imported from Australia .. and was surprised how improved my sleep was (with vivid dreams). Glyphosate is known to kill beneficial bacteria in the gut. Other effects are cancer, kidney and liver damage, endocrine/hormonal disruption, autism and depression. https://www.ecowatch.com/monsanto-glyphosate-cheerios-2093130379.html The tests conducted by Anresco were done on 29 foods commonly found on grocery store shelves. According to the report, glyphosate residues were found in: General Mills' Cheerios at 1,125.3 parts per billion (ppb) Kashi soft-baked oatmeal dark chocolate cookies at 275.57 ppb Ritz Crackers at 270.24 ppb Concerns about glyphosate comes as new research shows that Roundup can cause liver and kidney damage in rats at only 0.05 ppb, and additional studies have found that levels as low as 10 ppb can have toxic effects on the livers of fish. The U.S. has set the ADI for glyphosate at 1.75 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight per day (mg/kg/bw/day) while the European Union has set it at 0.3. https://detoxproject.org/alarming-levels-of-glyphosate-contamination-found-in-popular-american-foods/ On the heels of the growing controversy surrounding glyphosate’s safety, this unique testing project that started in 2015, has found alarming levels of glyphosate in General Mills’ Cheerios and Honey Nut Cheerios, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes, Raisin Bran and Frosted Flakes and PepsiCo’s Doritos Cool Ranch, Ritz Crackers and Stacy’s Simply Naked Pita Chips. https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.fooddemocracynow.org/images/FDN_Glyphosate_FoodTesting_Report_p2016.pdf Glyphosate Food Testing Results: (in parts per billion – ppb) General Mills Original Cheerios - 1,125.3 ppb Honey Nut Cheerios – 670.2 ppb – 14.5 Wheaties – 31.2 ppb Trix - 9.9 ppb Gluten Free Bunny Cookies Cocoa & Vanilla – 55.13* ppb Kellogg’s Corn Flakes – 78.9 ppb Raisin Bran – 82.9 ppb Organic Promise - 24.9 ppb Special K - 74.6 ppb Frosted Flakes - 72.8 ppb Cheez-It (Original) – 24.6 ppb Cheez-It (Whole Grain) – 36.25* ppb Soft-Baked Cookies, Oatmeal Dark Chocolate – 275.58* ppb Nabisco Ritz Crackers – 270.24 ppb Triscuit – 89.68 ppb Oreo Original – 289.47* ppb https://www.bestfoodfacts.org/glyphosate-in-food/
    ...See More

What's the one hardest thing about growing roses where you are?

Q

Comments (90)
    Here in my Southern Ontario, z5b garden it's hard to choose. SO MANY roses are just marginally hardy here, and so a little bit of extreme winter weather can kill them, whereas most winters will not. A warm period followed by a later freeze can also kill them. So do you take a chance, or do you skip such a vast number of great roses? We have overcast, wet, humid weather here a lot and there is blackspot like crazy. And of course this area is swarming with Japanese Beetles. During the height of their swarms I can pick/shake off over 100 day, which is a lot for my ~20 roses. Some will have none. Some will have dozens. Every year I wonder why I put up with it. Then every June when the first flush hits and before the big problems come I remember why.
    ...See More
  • strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Ann: Your reviews help me a lot, many thanks. Love your pic. of Apricot Candy. Really appreciate your info. about Bliss Parfuma (I love Abraham Darby's scent, won't settle for less). Apricot Candy sold as own-root at High Country Roses (Colorado) will be 1/3 the size of Apricot Candy as grafted. My Betty White as own-root is 1/4 the size of Betty White (grafted-on-Dr.Huey) at rose park, but my own-root has more blooms than their super-tall Betty White.

I see zero advantage of having roses grafted on Dr.Huey unless one has rabbits in the garden that munch on small roses, or hot & dry climate with roses in the ground. Own-roots is smaller for pots & consume less water & has better scent & more petals & more blooms. I'm very annoyed at Belinda Dream's massive size, it's grafted on Dr.Huey thus a long pause between flushes.

Despite my dense clay for French mineral-hogs, I'm annoyed at OWN-ROOT French roses with Graham Thomas (a climber) as the parent .. they are too big at 8 feet tall, and wider than 3 feet, such as: Moonlight Romantica, Dee-lish, Sweet Mademoiselle, Princess Charlene de Monaco. Anything with climber genetics won't be best for pots, such as roses grafted-on-Dr.Huey ... Dr. Huey is a climber/rambler.

Brendan: Many thanks for the tip of chili-powder to repel rabbits. Does it has to be hot chili-powder? I tried cayenne pepper but that didn't work, perhaps not as stinky as chili-powder.

The most compact roses in pots would be FLORIBUNDA as own-roots, such as Purple Lodge (Burlington and LongAgoRoses sell Purple Lodge), see below, it's 2 feet tall in warm zone, or 1 feet tall in cold zone. I can't grow Purple Lodge unless I get rid of rabbits by planting enough rhubarb plants poisonous to them.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.51199.1&tab=1

Best for the pots & tons of blooms would be OWN-ROOT floribunda or grandiflora sold at High Country Roses such as Easy Does it (orange/yellow & nice wafting scent), Celestial Night, Twilight Zone. The only draw-back of such floribundas is not much scent, so OWN-ROOT and fragrant SHORT HYBRID TEAS such as Prairie sunrise (orange), Fun in the Sun, Perfume Factory, Rouge Royal, Bronze Star, Apricot Candy would be best for the pot.

My Pink Peace as own-root is 1/3 the size of Pink Peace-grafted-on-Dr.Huey, but Pink Peace as own-root has more petals & more blooms & better scent and require less water. Pink peace (grafted on Dr.Huey) was a blackspot fest & tall and leggy. See below Pink Peace as own-root, less than 2 feet, verus 4+ feet grafted-on-Dr.Huey.

The scent of own-root Pink Peace is twice stronger than Pink Peace grafted. Others noted the same. Bloom has more petals, since the calcium goes to make more petals than growing tall.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

Ann, your Apricot Candy bud truly looks delicious. Those colors all mingled together are beautiful. And, Straw, your Pink Peace is the most gorgeous color. I'd definitely rather have shorter bush and more blooms! Love it in the bouquet.

• aerbk7b
    2 years ago

Straw - thank you for asking about my mother — she goes up and down.

Really curious about the Kordes/rain hog issue. Does this apply to all of their roses over the years? Or in varying degrees? Or..? I have Alchymist — so an older Kordes climber. I had been thinking it’s problem was just not quite enough sun, rather than not enough water, but…? My mother had beautiful Alohas, trained as climbers — but that was in south central PA in acid clay.

Don’t think we have the right conditions to do that squirrel zapper…but it’s really tempting. Wish the rabbit/rhubarb trick worked for squirrels too! My husband (and family) love rhubarb and has always wanted to grow it. We’re out in the country for the weekend — the combo of being here and just now seeing all these beautiful rose photos and everyone’s comments — is making it really tempting to leave the city and have a big country garden.

I don’t have experience at all with most of the roses being discussed — except Perle D’or. I had it in a pot for a couple years before planting in ground and it did very well both ways if that helps. It’s been very healthy for me. I love Perle d’or. It’s lovely and blooms constantly — but it’s the opposite of big blooms for cutting.

About climbers in pots - I guess I had success with MAC because it was basically a big raised bed box we built for her…

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - Yeah, Bliss is iffy on my to buy list too. I probably won't get it...but then again...LOL

I've always thought Apricot Candy was delightful in my catalogues. I've never seen it in person. I've been wanting Liv Tyler for a long time. I don't mind about thorns...after all, I have Falling in Love. LOL DOUBLE SWOON on your Liv Tyler rose bush!!!!! Utterly gorgeous!!!!

Dang, I've already ordered PCdM from a place that won't let you get a refund. I could always change it for something else...but not sure if there's something else I want. If you really think it's not good for my pots...I'll see what else I can find. :) But 8 feet!!!! Unreal!!

Interesting about the rhubarb. :)

Flowers - Kordes roses hate me too! LOL

Brendan - I really enjoyed my Fun in the Sun. Each bloom seemed to have a lot of charm. I liked the fragrance too...can't remember much about it though.

Ann - I think your comment was the nail in the coffin for me getting Bliss. :) :) Thanks!

Oooooh!!! I love your Apricot Candy!!! The colors are great!

Straw - those are the MOST BEAUTIFUL Pink Peace blooms I have ever seen!!!! GASP!!! Thank you for showing these beautiful blooms!!! I'm getting another one this year. Mine died in the GGDO...I always loved it and it had a wonderful Fruit Loops fragrance for me. :)

Dang again! I ordered Moonlight Romantica from the place that won't give refunds. That's 2 so far that won't be good. I could change them for Austins...but they hate me. I could change them for roses with not much fragrance. Sigh.

Oh, and I've lost 9 lbs!! Yay!

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

Straw, Pink Peace was one of my favorite roses. I no longer have it, but I think mine was on Dr. Huey. I got it at Costco in a body bag. I had it for years in a pot, but it eventually died. It smelled great.... and to think that an own root version smells even better.

I will have to try and find it own root..... all else I could by a new body bag in January if they have it and try to get a cutting to take it.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Okay, so for substitutions for Princess Charlene de Monaco and Moonlight Romantica...I have these in mind:

Brad Jalbert roses:

Alaiza

Glowing Inspiration

Tanglebank Legacy.

:)

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Carol: So happy to hear you lost 9 lb. You did a great job of taking care of your health !! That made my day (I'm happiest when my life has meaning, that is, I help someone). I looked up your above roses: Glowing inspiration has light scent, Alaiza is very pretty with strong scent and ruffles looking like PcDM. Both Alaiza and Tanglebank are better choices than Moonlight Romantica (boring yellow & bush too tall) and PcDM (becomes single petal if not enough minerals, over 8 feet tall). Tanglebank Legacy grows to 5 feet with orange zillion petals, see below pic. from the web: WOW !!

Brendan: Azomite is alkaline (pH 8) with mostly calcium. When I tested Azomite, it did not UP blooming, but it made giant monsters out of roses, like Marie Pavie went from 2' x 2' to 3'x3', and Crown Princess Mag threw a 10 feet cane. Under alkaline condition and plenty of calcium, roses get VERY TALL .. such as Radio times became 5' x 3' when watered with pH 9 tap-water plus lime in horse manure. Its normal size is 2' x 2.5'.

Best way to force blooming: sulfate of potash and gypsum, plus trace elements (chicken manure or Masterblend). Chicken manure is high in boron, copper, zinc, necessary for blooming. Drawback: it's high in salt, thus best in spring only. Masterblend is high in potassium at 38, and it's more soluble potassium for alkaline condition. Chicken manure potassium is 3, not enough.

Best way to force branching (more round-bush), and more blooms: more phosphorus, chicken manure is high in phosphorus but doesn't have the high iron and high manganese of MasterBlend. Masterblend is high in phosphorus at 18. Coop-poop NPK is 4-2-3, but the phosphorus is much higher than what's listed.

Carol and Brendan: Austins that are compact & bloom well in pots are:

Darcy Bussell: Mine bloomed well in a pot as 1st-year-own root, light scent.

Golden Celebration: Best scent ever (smells like cupcakes from the oven), always have blooms in the pot as tiny rooting. The one in pot blooms better than the one in clay. It takes drastic pruning well, blooms best if pruned short after each flush.

Sharifa Asma: So tiny and the scent is stronger than Abraham Darby.

Young Lycidas: Scent is better than Madam Isaac Pereire, bush is tiny, even as grafted-on-Dr.Huey.

The Dark Lady: scent is very good with acidic rain, will be short & compact if grafted on multiflora (cluster-root). Even rose park's Dark-Lady (grafted) is less than 1 foot.

Mustead Wood: thorny but takes drastic pruning well. Even rose park's Munstead wood (grafted) is less than 1 foot. My own-root is bigger than rose-park.

Prospero and Lady Emma Hamilton are both short & small for the pot. Lady Emma is very small as grafted even for Khalid's zone 9b.

The secret to force Austins to bloom is sulfate of potash and gypsum, both are acidic, but Austin likes acidic rain. Sulfate of potash has 18% acidic sulfur plus high potassium at 50 to force blooming, and gypsum has 21% sulfur plus calcium for more petals. Sulfur is also from acidic rain.

Sulfate of potash is best on Amazon as Route 88 Agricultural granular sulfate of potash, or Alpha chemicals (a white powder).

I don't recommend Langbeinite for alkaline CA since it's less acidic and HARDER TO DISSOLVE in alkaline tap water. For CA and for pots, Masterblend NPK 4-18-38 is high in SOLUBLE potassium chloride (dissolves 3 times better than sulfate of potash), plus plenty of trace elements for blooming. One can pile up chicken manure or horse manure on top of pots for trace elements, but that's too salty.

Osmocote PLUS NPK 15-7-12 has enough trace elements for tiny rootings to bloom, but ALONE can't support a huge bush, plus the release is too slow. Thus MasterBlend NPK 4-18-38 is best used to provide high potassium and trace elements to force blooming for pots, in warm CA.

Below is Sharifa Asma as 10th-year own-root, very small with intense scent, it's 1/10 the size of Abraham Darby, the scent is unique & amazing and worth growing for its scent alone:

Below is Young Lycidas (grafted-on-Dr.Huey), the scent is fantastic old rose, bush is very small & compact. My mistake: I didn't put enough gypsum in the planting hole for root growth so it died through winter. All the calcium went to make zillion petals, and not enough calcium for root growth:

Below bouquet on left is Munstead Wood, right are clusters of Young Lycidas, and middle light pinks are James Galway.

Bc _zone10b thanked strawchicago z5
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw, I just spent all morning going through your older posts on scents (and best/wow/keeper roses). You have such helpful informative threads on here, I think I've bookmarked most of them twice or more ha.

For the chili powder it was the hot kind...and the cheapest I could find (the bulk size). I also put a lot of my dogs fur from his brush around the rose canes which I think helped with animal pests. If you have a neighbor/friend/family with dogs, collect their hair to scare off the rabbits and mice.

Thanks so much for the suggestions on floribundas. I've been trying to look through them at Burlington and Roses Unlimited the last couple days since I don't think I could grow them back in my zone 5.

I am so bummed out that no one is selling older varieties of Austins anymore. I had saved so many names from your great posts over the last year or two, to order this year but no one has them anymore and Austin's official website is never complete.

I'll have to collect as many newer varieties as I can from DA official website.

I love the look of your Pink Peace. I found a Peace rose here in bloom and bought it. It is such a disease/mess. I keep it away from my other roses in it's pot. Maybe I'll toss him and try again with Pink Peace.

Ann I like your Apricot Candy. I've noticed that a lot of my roses color has to do with temperatures and whatever fertilizer I use too. Whenever I use liquid fish/seaweed (Neptunes Brand), the roses have much deeper colors which I like (because they'll fade in the sun to lighter colors later)

Aer, good to hear your Perle did well in a pot. I have her on my list and like her form/colors.

Carol, congrats on the weight loss! That's excellent. I regret not buying fun in the sun at that nursery a month ago. Maybe I'll go by today to see if he's still there somewhere. Carol I just spent a good 30 minutes trying to figure out where to get Tanglebank Legacy. I love those orangey blooms! Then I realized you're in Canada and have access to different roses I think? But beautiful blooms on that one

Straw thanks for the info on focing blooming and branching. I looked up Masterblend and have to try that out. I can get a big bag on Amazon I think.

I want to try Golden Celebration so will order that from DA.

I saw Darcy Bussell at a nursery here next to Munstead, Falstaff, and another Austin...Thomas Beckett maybe? They all had this bright bold raspberry red color and I couldn't decide which was the better of that color variety, got overwhelmed and left hah. I will have to go back and see which are left.

I really want to try Sharifa but DA is sold out (same with Spirit of Freedom)

I don't even see Lady Emma on their website anymore maybe they ax'd her.

Your Young Lycidas looks beautiful, I will try to order one of him. I've always wanted to try James Galway too, but I read he's so-so on repeat. How would that work here in my new zone 10b though? Since we don't really go below 50F in the winter months here....would I be able to grow Galway and just heavy prune him after each flush to get new flower buds?

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Brendan: own-root James is a biggest water-hog and a huge bush James is tall climber, got up to 20' one year. It doesn't bloom unless week-long rain .. won't fit a pot.

Golden Cel is very easy to root, even if you get it as grafted-on-Dr.Huey, you get an own-root within 3 months. I cut a Golden Cel. branch and stuck in potting soil mixed with perlite, and it rooted, except my zone 5 is too cold to keep tiny rootings through winter.

My own-root Darcy Bussell didn't have much scent, but Munstead Wood has amazing scent & worth buying. Plus Munstead Wood bloomed well for a friend in Costa Mesa, CA with only 12" of rain. From my past research on Falstaff: can take heat & full-sun well, but needs heavy SOLUBLE fertilizer. Below is own-root Munstead Wood in my clay at pH near 8. Rose-park's Munstead Wood (grafted) was 1/2 the size of my own-root. Its blooms fried in full-sun at 80 F, thus Munstead Wood is best in partial shade.

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

Straw is your Munstead Wood real thorny? I heard that it was... that is why I haven't gotten it... I am tired of being attacked... and fear when pulling weeds..... but I can always take precautions now....

Though it seems you had mentioned that that roses that are thorny prefer dryer sites so it would not like my Florida rains.....

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Munstead Wood has vicious dense prickles like a porcupine, can't even hold on the branches .. hard to cut for the vase. Munstead Wood NEEDS PARTIAL SHADE, my pic. above was in full-sun, and blooms fried at temp at low 80 F. So I HAD TO MOVE IT TO PARTIAL SHADE.

For Brendan's full-sun CA, Falstall is a better choice since that can take full-sun with stiff-petals. Roses with stiff petals that last 5 days in vase like Firefighter .. can take full-sun. Roses which are good for the vase take full-sun with their firm & thick petals. Very few Austins are good for the vase, and most Austins need partial shade (morning sun only).

Thorny Munstead Wood needs more minerals soil (like clay). Rain leaches out minerals so the low-thorn roses don't mind but the thorny roses need the hard-minerals to make their prickly & hard stems. Thorny roses need dense clay for their dense thorns. I constantly have to top Munstead Wood with biochar (soluble calcium and potassium & trace elements). Biochar is very dense & alkaline at pH 8.1 to 8.6. It takes the entire yard-waste bag of roses' branches to burn down to enough biochar for 1 rose bush. Biochar is super-concentrated minerals.

Sharon: Low-thorn roses are better suited for high-rain that leaches out hard-minerals. Low-thorn roses are better suited for sandy & loamy soil with less alkaline minerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium). I have to fix below low-thorn Poseidon (floribunda) with a bag of coarse sand before it became a constant bloomer.

Floribundas have more branching and phosphorus for branching is more available in sandy & fluffy soil than in dense clay. Poseidon refused to bloom in dense potting soil, so I realize it needs fluffier soil and high phosphorus like chicken-manure. Sandy soil in your Florida is often high in phosphorus, and that's perfect for floribundas (more blooms with more branching).

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

I ordered some same day delivery things from Sam's Club. They sent a little gift bag with a few items in it.... one thing was a Medjool date. I have had figs and prunes.... but never this date..... I googled it.... it says it is good for you.... but seems high in sugar..... does the nutrition offset the sugar?

It sure was tasty.....

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw thanks! I just got finished buying some roses I found today. Falstaff was gone but the small minsters wood was still there so I grabbed him

Sharon, munstead is very very thorny. Intensely so. My hands have some cuts. But the buds smelled too good to not try him.

Good to know about James Galway. I love the look of his flowers and that you said he smells so good Straw. But not interested in dealing with 20ft rose ha. Did that back east wjth my new dawns so that they stopped eating my house and got tired of the thorns.

Sharon, sugar found in fruits or anything natural (as long as it is not added sugar) is good for us. I eat tons of dates and they’ve never made me gain weight. Anything that is natural and not added fake/processed, is usually pretty good for us and won’t upset our bodies or health (in moderation of course)
    For instance sometimes I go too far and eat entire bags of raw cashews or almonds and then my stomach hurts the rest of the day. But they’re so tasty and sometimes my body/brain crave certain things like raw cashews/almonds and I feel like when my brain craves raw veggies/fruits/foods, it’s because I need some nutrients in that food, if that makes sense.

I actually think it’s probably very similar to plant growing in the ground. Our gut is very similar to the soil when we grow organically. We’re helping all the microscopic life in our gut when eating organic, raw foods that haven’t been heated/processed heavily. When our gut and insides are healthy and full of beneficial bacteria and life, our bodies and minds are healthiest and most bright.

Same with roses in the ground and all the life we try to support and get going in the soil. When we use insecticides or too many chemical fertilizers we can harm the stuff in the soil that leads to the roots of the plants being healthy, and the plants themselves failing more easily. Maybe I’m overthinking things :) But there are probably some similarities.

But dates are usually great and healthy! And delicious.

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Was looking for Poseidon too Straw, I love his color. Didn’t have at any of the nurseries I went to ;(

I found a Belinda’s dream that was sort of that color but more pinkish. I like poseidons blue tones. Will have to order one.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - Yeah, it's a long, long process as I should lose about 60 lbs. But, I'm going to make it happen!! :) Thank you for your support!!! :) :) :) :)

I really love the look of Glowing Inspiration. I'm going to try to replace PCdM and MR with Glowing Inspiration and Tanglebank Legacy (I love the name Tanglebank!!!) Some other Jalbert roses I'm getting are Mary Lou Whitney (I love the one tone birthday cake pink of the blossoms...it may be a finicky rose though), Anne Marie (so pretty!!!), and Beverly Anne Clay. Jalbert's roses are supposed to be really easy to grow without spraying or coddling. I would post pictures, but I don't know how to post pictures from the internet here. It never works for me. Yes, thanks for posting the pic of Tanglebank...I'm happy to be getting it!

Hmmmmm....Masterblend...I can't remember (and my notes are this huge jumble of papers LOL) if it's good for potted roses. I found a place that will sell it in Canada

https://geckogrow.ca/shop/nutrients/masterblend/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6qC5poKF9AIVgyGtBh0LWwgGEAAYASAAEgKidvD_BwE

Should I get it? :) :) Hmmmm....husband is supposed to install rain barrels next spring (will he though??)...so it's really good for alkaline conditions...which is what I have now...very little rain. What about for rainy(rain barrel) times? Okay, I read further...Masterblend is good for both! I'll buy some!! Does it have calcium?

For sure, if I can find The Dark Lady, I will snap it up!!

I adore your Young Lycidas!! I tried to grow that once and it was a sprawly mess. I don't want to try that again. I am trying Boscobel though this year. If it doesn't do well, it will be the last Austin I ever buy. LOL

Man, I feel gross right now...I think it's the exercise I'm doing. I was in a car accident many years ago, and I get nauseous, dizzy and get a migraine if I do certain movements....like hands over my head and who knows what else. It's frustrating to try to get in shape, and then my body rebels. I guess I need some more ibuprofen.

Brandon - Thanks! It's a struggle to get my body to work properly what with the car accident and my neurological disorder. But I'm trying!! :) :) :) Yes, Jalbert roses are sold only (as far as I know) in his place in Vancouver (he doesn't ship), through Phoenix perennials (which only ship to Canada) and Palatine. I am paying a FORTUNE for these roses ($65 + shipping each). But, I really want to try them...and my husband said "Go for it!" It took me a long time to put the order through because every time I would try, I would back away saying "I'd have to be crazy to spend that kind of money!!!" So I really hope they do well. You should see how beautiful his Anne Marie is!! He's from Select Roses if you feel like browsing. :) :) Yes, Tanglebank Legacy is scrumptious!! I'm sorry you can't find the older Austins. :( Sometimes Hortico has them (Canadian company that ships to the U.S.)

Straw - oooooh!!! That's a STUNNING Poseidon bush!!!! No wonder you love it so much!!! Oh my!!

Brandon - Palatine has Poseidon...they ship to the U.S. and it's a fabulous company that ship great bareroots!! There may be a minimum order amount though. They have some great roses!!

• aerbk7b
    2 years ago

Straw — I know you detailed biochar before but interested to hear your latest on it. When you burn down the branches and add that to one rose — about how much biochar is that about? In say cup measures? Do you think it would be helpful for my CPM’s? Not as thorny as Munstead Wood I don’t think? But still thorny enough — and they probably wish they were in more clay vs my sandy-ish soil. And how often are you adding the biochar? And what time(s) of year? I had been thinking the easiest would be adding to our compost pile to char etc that way….

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Aerbk: For a 2' x 2' bush I sprinkle 1/2 to 3/4 cup of biochar (1 inch. to 1/2 chunks of black charcoal). The release is fast with week-long acidic rain this spring, W.S. 2000 went from 3" to 4" bloom across. It's super-concentrated minerals. Yes, it will help CPM since it has dark-green leaves and loves my rock-hard & dense clay. Biochar is very dense minerals, even denser than clay.

Adding biochar to the compost pile is NOT a good idea, since calcium and potassium do move down, so all the good stuff is beneath the soil under your compost pile. We have a bumper crop of THE SWEETEST pears in 20 years since the brick-fire-pit to burn biochar is next to the pear tree. There are pear-roots below that ground. There was a tomato-taste test with various fertilizers, and the best-tasting tomatoes were fertilized with biochar.

When I first moved here, the builder put fresh top-soil (black clay) in my garden, and the young pear trees gave icky fruits (filled with bugs, grainy and sour). The soil was black peaty clay & high in nitrogen, but not enough calcium & potassium & minerals in that soil. Pears kept rotting inside with bugs. Could not eat any pears for 15 years.

For the past few years, I kept digging out gravel & tiny stones & sticky brown sub-clay when I dug holes for roses and threw the "bad" soil rich in minerals around the pear trees. I did that for 3 years, then I put the firepit to burn biochar next to the pear tree. This year 90% of the pears are perfect, no holes from bugs, and I don't spray. Best tasting & sweetest pears ever in my life ,, ate 5 to 10 pears per day. The 2nd pear tree (far from the fire-pit) .. the fruits are not as good.

• aerbk7b
    2 years ago

Straw — your pears sound wonderful!

I have to admit — I am now totally totally confused about biochar. Everything I’ve read says just about the opposite — that one must “charge” it first by mixing with something like compost, manure, or something else that otherwise has the microorganisms. Because if you put it straight on soil it depletes the soil for a year or so…

Bc _zone10b thanked aerbk7b
  • strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

aerbk: Good point, thank you. Biochar is so dense & rich in hard minerals that it tends to dries out soil on top (like wood chips) .. but one needs ungodly amount of biochar to do such. One yard-waste bag of rose canes gives about 1 cup of biochar.

My Mom in MI told me 'NEVER PUT WOODASH directly on top of plants." She put woodash ON TOP of leaves, let the rain wash down the nutrients over the winter, then top plants in the spring. Woodash pH is over 13, very caustic .. verus biochar pH of 8.1 to 8.6. My rock hard clay pH is near 8, and my tap-water pH is 9.

Since I'm in zone 5a, my roses are buried under 1/2 foot of clay, so biochar on top of 1/2 foot of clay doesn't hurt roots. Roots thrive with rich minerals (biochar) on top. Biochar alone is hard & slow to break down unless one has heavy rain like my Chicagoland.

Recently I tested mixing biochar with half-decomposed grass clippings, plus acidic gypsum plus top soil .. the result is less successful than just biochar on top. W.S. 2000 broke out in blackspots for the 1st time in 11 years, thanks to the other acids got released first, before the biochar with recent 8" of rain in the bucket, or week-long rain.

For high-rain climate like mine, compost (neutral pH) is not enough to offset the acidic rain at pH 4.5, I need dense and alkaline biochar at pH 8.1. We have tons of acidic rain that break down biochar, versus less rain climate need to mix in organics to help break down biochar.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Brenda: Belinda Dream is NOT worth getting (scent is light and the blooms are messy). Poseidon looks good in a pot for a gal in CA. Congrats on getting Munstead Wood, Helen in CA posted Munstead Wood with tons of blooms in a pot. I love your testimony on eating RAW foods, it helps me with losing weight.

Carol: I'm so sorry about what you shared "I was in a car accident many years ago, and I get nauseous, dizzy and get a migraine if I do certain movements." My neighbor at 69 has weak knees, he can't bend down to dig weeds in the garden. So he adopted a NO EXERCISE weight-loss regime (no sugar, no flour, no snacks between meals) .. and lost weight fast. Plus his blood sugar went from diabetic to normal, and his cholesterol dropped to 180 after he lost 150 lb. (zero exercise, but he works full time at a desk-job).

My 63-year old husband also works at a desk-job, but runs 6 miles a day .. skinny husband's blood sugar is not ideal, and cholesterol is way high. Husband is very active but drinks coke & eats sweets and mostly processed foods (pizza, ice cream, white bread and cookies). Kale & apple smoothie is the only healthy stuff that husband drinks if I make it for him.

About SOLUBLE Masterblend NPK 4-18-38. It's low in nitrogen, thus best for WARM and LESS RAIN climate like Brendan .. roses tend to be too tall in dry & warm climate.

For your more rain climate in Canada, the Pennington granular fertilizer for acid plants at NPK 10-8-6 which you already bought lots .. is ideal for pots since it has all the trace elements, plus calcium & sulfur. I tested such for pots this year, and leaves were healthy & dark green.

High rain climate does better with granular for pots, since SOLUBLE like Masterblend gets flushed out fast.

Lilly Miller NPK 10-5-4 switched to become Pennington NPK 10-8-6, and they took out the chicken manure, but still with the same trace elements. I agree with taking out chicken manure, I burnt plenty of roses with the salt in chicken manure. Chicken manure is FAST RELEASE, with unpredictable phosphorus (sometimes 10 times more phosphorus than what's listed).

Below own-root Abraham Darby was fertilized with Pennington granular NPK 10-8-6 in June besides alfalfa meal & garden lime. Very healthy leaves, and I pinched off lots of buds .. when I stopped using granular fertilizer on top, and just Osmocote PLUS, that's when leaves got blackspots & less buds to pinch off. Osmocote PLUS is too slow released and doesn't supply enough potassium nor phosphorus for high-rain climate. Osmocote PLUS has ZERO CALCIUM to offset acidic rain. Potassium is for disease prevention and phosphorus is for branching.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

This thread is getting long, so I start a new thread entitled "Discussion on roses, garden, health, best products and recipes." I often spent hours reading all Amazon reviews before buying a particular product. It would be time-saving for us to share the best products we buy on Amazon (omit links since Houzz deletes them). Also best products and recipes for health & gardening in general. Thanks for joining me in the below thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6197188/discussion-on-roses-garden-health-best-products-and-recipes

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Carol, you can do it! I'm sorry to hear about your car accident and disorder. All we can do is try and cheer minds on to keep trying our best with our health. It's never easy but sounds like your'e doing great! :) THanks for the info on Select Roses. I looked up his roses and they all look beautiful. I hope you take some pictures for us. Maybe some day we'll be able to easily purchase them over here.

Straw, thanks for the tips on Belinda Dream. I liked her super cold pink color the most. Do you have any roses you'd recommend with her color? I'll try the Masterblend in the Spring. Thanks for letting me know it's good for low rain areas.

• aerbk7b
    2 years ago

Straw — thank you so much for expanding on your biochar use — and the new thread. I can’t get enough material nor burn it here in inner city Brooklyn — so moving slowly to try and get my mind around how to best use it and what then to buy.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Brendan - so well said. :) :) And yes, I'll share pictures in the summer. :)

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

Just wondering about nutrition and equating it to the nutrients of our roses.

If we put down too much of a certain nutrient on our roses it can cause our roses not to be able to process other kind of nutrients.Also, if our soil's ph is high or low it can cause certain nutrients to be unavailable for the plants.

I am wondering if our bodies treat nutrients the same...... I know that we can be lacking vitamins and nutrients.... but also taking them sometimes we do not process them correctly. Even if we eat a wide variety of foods we may not get the proper nutrition..... yes? no" Thoughts? I also have read that today's apples grown do not have the same nutrients that apples did 40 years ago due to depleted soil nutrients. So how are we to get all of our nutrition.....

Wondering if there is way to determine what we are lacking without getting a blood test..... and even getting a blood test doesn't test for everything.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Sharon: great questions !! Too much vitamin C is known to cause iron overload, or diarrhea and kidney stones. Some studies have found a link between high levels of calcium intake and heart attack. My body knows what it needs more than what people pushing for certain things. I identify what I need with my cravings. Even cravings for chocolate means one is deficient in magnesium. After taking magnesium pills, we save $15 on dark chocolate per week, plus losing weight since we cut out excess sugar (dark chocolate has plenty of sugar).

I don't let others DEFINE WHAT MY BODY NEEDS, I let my body defines what I need. The lesson I learned from my horrible 2015 flu-shot reaction is NEVER LET people push certain things on me without knowing about my body. My body's immune system knows best if I need a flu-shot, I never get pneumonia nor flu in my entire 50+ year-life, until I got that flu-shot back in Dec. 2015.

For roses: note what the plant is crying out for:

1) low in petal-count and tip leaves wilting or distorted: calcium deficiency

2) stunt growth and yellow leaves: sulfur deficiency

3) Lowest leaves yellow /brown or scorched at margin: potassium deficiency

4) Leaves have purplish shading: phosphorus deficiency

5) Lowest leaves have blotchy yellow, and smaller leaves: nitrogen deficiency

6) Bunched up top leaves (witches' broom) and lack of blooms: boron deficiency

For our health: best to pay attention to what we crave for. I crave for lima beans for my entire life (since childhood until now at 60) .. and lima beans is highest in manganese, iron, other trace elements, rich in folate and other B-vitamins. My 19-year-old daughter craved for beef (high in iron) when she had heavy period .. she was tested low in hemoglobin as an infant.

My local soil is deficient in manganese, see that on my rhododendrons and red-maple trees nearby. So my local produce is also deficient in manganese, and all the foods rich in manganese are what I always crave for: peanut-butter (I'm allergic to), lotus seeds (buttery like chestnuts), Barley (I'm addicted to Ezekiel bread rich in Barley), Cashew (love it), flax and soybean (actually crave for tofu), Rye bread, also crave for almond and sesame seeds.

Stephanie in sandy soil, California also has manganese deficiency. Manganese is the 2nd most required trace elements (besides iron) for roses. It affects the entire plant, with diffused yellowing between veins. From the web: "A manganese deficiency in plants often results from soils too rich in organic matter or with high pH levels." Manganese also gets leached out the most from soil compared to other trace elements. Below is a pic. of manganese deficiency:

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Love those Cliff notes :) :) Thanks!

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@strawchicago z5 I love the way you think about health and follow the same rules with my own body. I tend to follow my cravings especially if I'm doing a good job of eating healthy stuff regularly...then my body will block out the easiest cravings for salty/sweet, and start craving fruits and veggies which I just follow. Probably signs of needing certain vitamins or nutrients like you said :) Great notes on roses and leaves, very helpful, thank you!

I just brought this question up in our other thread by accident, meant to ask here. But since I returned Belinda's Dream (thrip carrier) to her nursery, does anyone have recommendations on a rose with similar bright/bold lilac-pink color and lots of petals? I loved the color on it and would be great to find a similar rose since I returned that one.

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

Strawchicago, I finally got my hands on Annie L. McDowell. Rose Petal Nursery came to our rose society and I had pre ordered it. It is own root. I know you have this so please advise me its best care in planting..... as a low thorn dose it want wetter.... but

it also has smaller laves so does it want drier.

And tell me what is the best way to fertilize it

I can hardly wait for it to bloom..... since it supposed to smell like lilacs.....

Thanks so much

Sharon

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Brendan - how about Chartreuse de Parme?

or are you more interested in the color of Bishop's Castle?

Bc _zone10b thanked rosecanadian
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Both are beautiful! I think for now I am leaning more towards the lighter BC colorations.....but I do like that hot raspberry pink color of CdP too. I don't think I have a rose coming in that color yet. RU is sold out of it for now ;(

But maybe next year

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Carol: I adore your pics. of Bishop's Castle and Chartreuse de Parme. You have the most blooms per cluster on Bishop's Castle, how did you fertilize for such good result? Thank you.

Sharon: per your question on Annie L. McDowell. It's low thorn, thus a water-hog. It has small leaves, thus prefer fluffy & loamy soil (sand is better than dense clay).

I grew 3 Annie L. McDowell in pots for a few months .. I used MG-moisture-control potting soil. The Annie fertilized with GRANULAR fertilizer Lilly Miller NPK 10-5-4 (has chicken manure for boron, copper, and zinc) ... bloomed constantly in a small pot. I also used MG-Soluble for roses NPK 18-24-16.

Annie is a cluster-blooming so it likes high phosphorus fertilizer (for more branching). Annie will do well in your sandy soil rich in phosphorus in Florida. Since it's a heavy bloomer, GRANULAR fertilizer is a must. It responded well to Espoma tone (Tomato Tone NPK 3-4-6 or Plant Tone 5-3-3). Annie is VERY SMALL as own-root, so granular fertilizer rich in nitrogen and alfalfa meal helps with faster growth. Organic matter like alfalfa meal helps to retain nitrogen, which will leach out fast in your sandy soil. Some pics. of Annie from my garden. Below 1st bloom was produced with alfalfa meal plus MG-soluble for roses. Annie can take acid well so the acidity of alfalfa meal didn't make it break out in blackspots like other roses.

Below cluster blooming of Annie was produced by sulfate of potash and gypsum (gypsum is for my rock-hard and alkaline clay, but Garden lime is better for your sandy & acidic soil). Sulfate of potash creates more blooms in a cluster with better water-osmosis. The large yellow bloom is Golden Celebration, sulfate of potash also makes blooms larger. Potassium is for thick canes and large blooms:

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw, thanks for this excellent advice on different types of blooms and fertilizing. I love your pics of Annie, never heard of her before. The pic of her solo bloom is so nice!! Such a beautiful rich lilac color and fade towards the outer petals. I will look her up on hmf. Your golden celebration is so vibrant too, beautiful.

Rosecanadian, Straw is right about your beautiful photos. Really great captures of each bloom type and coloration. I'm still staring at your Bishop's Castle and added him to my cart! I love the way the sunlight picks up the light hot pinks in him, and then purple undertones to his shadows. Great pictures!

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Brendan: Just received a notification from Roses Unlimited about the gift certificate that you generously gave to me. THANK YOU !!

Noseometer in New Mexico grows Bishop's Castle, Ancient Mariner, and Olivia Austin. He loves his Bishop's Castle, but disappointed with Ancient Mariner and Oliva Austin. Decades ago Hoovb in Southern CA posted pics. of Bishop's Castle cascading down from a hedge with cluster blooming, and it's enthralling. Folks in CA report Bishop Castle's scent as pure heaven, and it's rare to find a good smelling Austin in warm & dry climate. Noseometer described how Bishop Castle's amazing scent wafts through his garden in New Mexico. He got rid of Earth Angel due to thrips, but that doesn't bother Bishop Castle.

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw, thank YOU for all of your help and guidance with me figuring out how to grow roses the past year or so. Very thankful for your knowledge and time spent helping me. Thank you.

And thanks for the notes on BC! I’m going to give it a shot. Everyone’s pictures the last couple days are really beautiful and very much the color I’m looking for that I saw in the Belinda’s dream flowers I saw.

RU was very sweet but are sold out of a lot of the ones you recommended so I will have to wait until next year. I have plenty of others coming to keep me busy until then but looking forward to trying Versigny and the others, they look like such great colors.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - thank you!!! :) :) Well, I fertilized with weakly weekly fertilizing of Miracle Gro and a combination of vermiculture leachate and Alaskan Fish Fertilizer. I would do one week with Miracle Gro and the other with the leachate/Fish Fertilizer. I don't use the leachate in fruit/vegetable pots, in case it's not healthy. And I blast the concoction with strong hose spray to really aerate the mixture to get rid of anaerobic bacteria in the leachate...and I let it sit for a few hours. At that time, I was using the really rich soil and not the soil I started using 3 years ago...gritty soil 5-1-1. So nice to be contributing; I'm usually taking, taking info from you! :) :)

OH!!!! Your Annie blooms are perfection!!! I love them so much!!! :) :) :) SWOON!

Brendan - thank you SO much!!! :) :) After this TERRIBLE year of roses, it's nice to think that this year was an aberration and that I can get back to being good at growing roses. Oh you are such a sweetheart for doing such a nice thing for Straw!!! <3 <3 <3

• aztcqn
    2 years ago

So much good info, here. Thanks StrawC!!

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

aztcqn: I posted some healthy recipes that helped with sleep & weight loss in below thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6197188/about-roses-garden-health-best-products-recipes#n=93

Sharon: How do you like the McCartney's rose scent compared to other roses in your garden? Rabbits eat all the short roses here, so I need VERY TALL and fragrant roses. Thank you.

Carol: I googled for info. on the McCartney rose and found your past thread "More roses from Alberta" with amazing pics. of the McCartney Rose, Buxom Beauty, Peter Mayle (you are right that it needs hot weather), and Neil Diamond. How tall was your Buxom Beauty compared to Peter Mayle and the McCartney Rose? Thank you.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4168578/more-roses-from-alberta

Brendan: Neil Diamond doesn't like my shady & acidic rain garden but it'll do well in your alkaline & sunny and it's VERY SMALL as own-root, perfect in the pot as shown in Carol's above thread. The scent is amazing Damask like Austin roses. My only pet-peeve about Neil Diamond is too small for my zone 5, plus the scent is gone once cut for the vase, but smells fabulous on the bush. It's mostly white below due to lack of sun in my garden .. with more sun it gets more red & pretty like Carol's picture.

Below bouquet shows Neil Diamond on left. The apricot blooms are Crown Princess Magareta, the far right yellow blooms are Strike it Rich. Tiny white ones are Cloudert Soupert (very fresh baby powder scent)

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

RoseCanadian, sometimes we make mistakes but they're what we need to learn and get better at things. That's why I'm so appreciative of people on this forum, for sharing their lessons learned and helping newbies like me. I bet this next year will be an amazing year for you and your roses. You'll be able to smile and enjoy it even more knowing that it's all due to learning from these past mistakes :)

Straw, I love that Neil Diamond picture! I have to find some of him that I took at a rose park here in LA. It was one of the only rose types that was doing well in the hot/dry conditions, and this park was not well taken care of. Looked kind of abandoned and the Neil Diamonds were very healthy looking. Probably a good 8 ft tall with giant blooms, I loved them. Good to know it can stay small own root in a pot. I liked the flowers on my Marc Chagall, but the bush and foliage were not as attractive as my Austins....returned him to the store. I don't know if it was the thrips when I had them or what but he wasn't doing it for me.

I love your bouquet. What are the solid pink roses in it? Also Crown Princess? I got some pretty salmony pinks from mine back in NY but they were mostly the pretty orangey gold color of yours. But I liked when it played chameleon.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Brendan: The solid pink roses in my bouquet are Evelyn ... it's best for clay since it's a messy & thorny octopus bush (even as own-root). Abraham Darby is more well-behaved in a pot. Colors shift to red/pink zone if high phosphorus fertilizer is used, but since my soil is high in magnesium, I get yellow color on Crown Princess, or boring beige on Abraham Darby.

In contrast, Khalid in Pakistan with loamy soil and high phosphorus chicken manure, his Crown Princess turns pink. Phosphorus is more available in loamy soil, and less available in my rock-hard clay.

Another rose good for hot & dry is Violet's Pride ... pictures in HMF showed Vilolet's Pride looking good at San Jose park at 100 F.

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw, Evelyn's blooms look beautiful. You always create such a nice mix of colors and tones in your bouquets. Great to know about phosphorus' effect on colors too. That must be why whenever I use the Neptunes Rose Formula, there seem to be deeper colors. I love Violet's Pride. If Roses Unlimited ever gets Versigny back in stock I'm ordering VP, Versigny, Rouge Royal, and Sonya. I love those four in your pictures.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Straw - I can't remember how tall Buxom Beauty was...it died in the Great Garage Die Off (GGDO) I'm ordering it again this year. I doubt that it was as tall as Peter Mayle though....that was one of my tallest!! Soeur Emmanuelle is another of my taller roses. It survived the GGDO so maybe it's a really tough rose too. Great fragrance too. Lovely bouquet!! CPM steals the show...but it's a wonderful show!! :) :)

Brendan - thanks so much! :) :)

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

Straw, The McCartney rose died on me during last years flood. Up until the flood it did quite well. In fact, it had been run over by a truck and had split down to the crown, but it did seem to phase it. Had it another 3 yeas until the flood. I had a second one but it was not as healty .... both were on fortuniana root stock.

The scent is very strong and similar to Francis Mediland which I think is a sibling or something. I know the two are related. The only down side I can find with it is that the stems are short for cutting. It gets quite large, but I can't describe how the stems are short on such a tall plant, but they are...... but I don't care. I loved it..... I have thought about getting another one, but have not gotten around to it as of yet....

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

A friend of mine hated her The McCartney Rose as did I. It didn't do well for either of us. And neither of ours had fragrance. We both got it from the same place...so maybe it wasn't really TMR.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 years ago

Straw, I hope I'm on the right thread for large rose bushes that stay green during winter. If so, here's my list. If I'm on the wrong thread, just ignore me.

Most of my Austins stay green during winter. My larger ones are:

Crown Princess Margarita

Strawberry Hill

Spirit of Freedom

Misc. large roses that stay green:

Eden is always green.

Dortmund, an old Kordes shrub/climber. Produces abundant hips, too.

Souvenir de la Malmaison, climber

Jeannie Lajoie

Mme Isaac Pereire

Raspberry Cream Twirl

Large rose bushes that turn brown and defoliate at the first sign of cold weather:

Darlow's Enigma

Therese Bugnet turns red first, but quickly turns brown and drops leaves.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Andrea: thank you for the list of large bushes above, much appreciated. So happy to hear that Eden is always green, I'm thinking about Red Eden or Pretty Pink Eden for future purchase. I grew Mme Isaac Pereire, that died down to the crown one harsh winter, but quickly regrew its canes to be huge in spring.

Inviting you, Andrea, and others to my recent thread below on tips for good sleep & health ..that's where I asked about large rose-bush as "place-holder" in zone 5, but one's good sleep and health is more important than roses:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6206515/enjoyable-roses-recipes-and-tips-for-garden-health-and-happiness#n=40

• AllSass_CA10b
    last year

I just happened to come across this thread. So much great info here for rose health and ours! This got me thinking about a situation I’m dealing with.

I’m in zone 10b in Southern California. I recently killed all the grass on my property and hired a landscaper to remove it and the top 4” of top soil. He was supposed to level it but dipped out and I have taken on the burden of leveling now now. I got my front yard leveled and most of the planting is complete. I started working on the back yard a few weeks ago. Due to me focusing on the front yard and not the back yard, some weeds have started growing. Its mostly 2 types of stinging nettle. Its been warm here and I am noticing a lot of aphids out front but zero in the back yard.

Does anyone know or have experience using nettle as a host plant? I’m thinking about potting some of them to place around both yards and maybe drying some and making a tea out of them. I’m not sure how I’d apply this tea yet or if it’s even a good idea. I can’t think of a reason why, other then the nettle, the back yard has no aphids.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! It just clicked for me reading this since I know nettle is used medicinally for inflammation, pain, gout and other issues.

• strawchicago z5
    last year
    last modified: last year

AllSass_CA10b stinging nettle is a host of beneficial insects, and it likes soil high in nitrogen. My sister in hot & dry Idaho spent hours killing stinging nettle when she first bought her house. It can be invasive since it's more drought-tolerant than lemon-balm (smooth leaves & smooth stems and water-hogs).

I have bad ragweed allergies, and taking Freeze-dried stinging nettle capsules helped me that summer. My ragweed allergies have reduced by 80% thanks to taking probiotics, esp. Culturelle.

Stinging Nettle is used for enlarged prostrate, plus inflammation, hay fever symptoms, blood pressure and blood sugar levels. I wish I have stinging nettle, but stinging nettle is best for loamy soil. My soil is rock hard clay, and gets soaking wet with our high-rain climate, which is great for lemon balm. I would give up all my 150+ roses, but I won't give up my lemon balm: fantastic for deep sleep & help with weight loss, and it's a God-sent for anxiety.

Lemon balm was the reason why my 20-year old daughter breezed through her 2 1/2 hours job interview with 4 corporate guys, and got the actuary internship job prior to this Christmas.