SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christabottomley

Tweaking a bedroom floorplan

Christa Bottomley
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are working on our floorplan and are having trouble with one of the bedrooms. The trouble is that we're trying to have a coat closet and storage closet in the foyer but it is effecting the bedroom and knocking the Foyer alignment out of whack. I can't sort out a good closet location for the bedroom (which needs to be enough for 2 kids with drawer space in the closet). This is a shared room that will have a queen bed in it (with a lofted twin over it, *something* like the pic). We'd also *like* to put a window seat flanked by bookcases on the window wall (rather than having free standing bookcases and a chair) or some sort of built-in bookcase but perhaps that's asking too much of the space. We can bump out a few feet in any direction if it would make a real difference in the design.

We'd love to build this in but will probably do a free-standing twin loft bed over a queen Ikea Malm we already own until we're sure it works for us.

Original draft from Designer (note how the foyer closets throw off the alignment with the Flex Room):

My tinkering using Paint (adding a little depth to the Foyer and Flex to accommodate the closets). Maybe I could put another closet in that alcove but I'm stumped on the bookcases:

Whole main floor for reference (still very much in the works):

Comments (19)