SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iftiaal90

Renovation Dilemma: Larger Room vs Natural Light

ISA
2 years ago

I have the opportunity to add a living room attachment to my primary suite but in doing so i would block the only source of natural lighting for what is essentially a passthrough area which currently acts as our library and study. this source of light is also the only source of natural light which illuminates the staircase. The window size and location is such that in all cases I have to keep the lights turned on all day otherwise the space is way too dark to be functional (i have also had to add step lights on the staircase for this very reason). For clarity, I have attached a photo of the current floor plan:-

Below is what we are thinking of doing, the single window will be replaced with the door into the primary suite:

I am also attaching more details of the new living room attachment (if we decide to go for it) so you can understand it a little better. the yellow represent the location of the windows (which would EXPONENTIALLY increase the amount of light in that area and the natural light could possibly flow into the library/study if the door is left open (which it would be during the day time), the red lines represent the walls that will be knocked down to create an arch to enter into the actual sleeping area of the primary suite from the living area:

A few things to note: Ignore the headings and details other than the ones in color, as they do not represent the actual layout of the house (it has undergone several renovations over the years). We already have the green light from our architect and contractor as to the technical feesibility of this approach and all permits are also in place.

So my question to you is as follows: Should I increase the size of the primary suite and forgo natural light in the study/library? How important is it to have a natural light source, even if it is an inadequate one? If you have any experience with a room with no natural lighting please share the pros and cons, in all of the apartments and homes I have lived in over the years, this would be the ONLY room in which no window exists (even bathrooms and toilets in all my previous homes have had a window).

Thank you so much in advance for all your input and ideas!

Comments (13)