SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jorief

Help, I have to live here!

Jorie
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Inherited an old haunted house. The unique feature is the enclosed atrium in the center of the home which every room has a view into. The question is what color to paint all of this wood? as you can see, it had been painted a mocha poop brown. its too expensive to replace or sand it all down and stain. The walls will be white. I tested dark brown/black on a section and it looked like charred wood! The renovation has begun… I would love advice on what to do or not to do with the paint. The atrium will be (hopefully) a fun family gathering spot, relaxing area, with a just a few "living" plants, Thank you!

**update progresss photo below** Can't wait to review all of the suggestions, this morning! Just to clarify to some, this is all the same wood color, the lighting might make it look varying shades or even decent but I assure you it's like a horrible mauve color in person. Built in 1969 and never touched after. Added another photo because no, I never planned on keeping the 1/2 dead plants or corroded tile :) the house is going to be a complete overhaul and paint color is #1 on my mind because this is throughtout the entire house, not just the atrium. I'm very excited to read all of the comments, I thank you all for your time, I've been having near anxiety attacks over fixing this place up!

I've chosen this tile and pattern for the atrium, trying to keep with the "old world" style.

The man who lived here and designed the home was from italy.

Comments (77)