SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Name an obscure thing you cannot live without?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

For me it is lye as a household cleaner, but especially in the kitchen. I really don't know how people function without it...but obviously most people do! I have taken to cooking eggs in standard tall glasses in the microwave - it's just easier than the amount of dishwasher space a bowl would take up for cooking 2 eggs. My dishwasher cannot get all the cooked-on egg off, even on a pots and pans cycle. OTOH a 1/2 teaspoon of KOH added TO 2/3 cup hot water already in the glass (never add water to lye!) and it will loosen in a few minutes. So I pre-clean those glasses this way. It removes any other stuck on food junk that a dishwasher cycle can't get off. I recently changed brands of peanut butter, and this one will sometimes dry so severely, it doesn't get removed. (even though I have the Miele top utensil rack, which I think generally does a better job on utensils than the old baskets) Obviously you can use it to open drains that are stuck, but I think I've only had to do that once in the last 15 years because I'm careful what I put down my drains. It excels for various other grungy cleaning tasks. I collect AC condensate to water plants because it is softer water than my tap water. At the end of the season the bottom of the trash can has a layer of crud. A teaspoon of lye quickly dispatches it.

Of course, I advise you to handle it with all customary and necessary precautions like gloves and eye protection. A little goes a long way - I buy it from an internet biodiesel supplier.

I use potassium lye (KOH) and not sodium lye (NaOH) for 2 reasons.

1) only someone who once worked in a research lab would know this, but it's less likely to etch glass.

2) if I decide to toss something out as grey water, I don't have to worry about it hurting my plants. For example when I mop my floors I typically use 1 cup ammonia in the bucket and a few flakes of potassium lye - maybe 1/2 teaspoon again. Seems to give more grease cutting power to the mix. This would be a bad idea for some people, but the soil here is extremely acidic, so I don't worry about the alkalinity I'm adding. Of course I don't add it directly to a base of a plant anyhow, generally to an empty swale near my holly hedge.

Comments (42)