SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erica_hayen

Exterior Refresh for 80s Contemporary Home

Erica Hayen
2 years ago

I adore our house - it's a 1982 contemporary home, and parts of it have been nicely updated over the years - but our exterior paint on the wood siding is starting to look a little worse for wear, and as we plan to hire painters soon, it could be the ideal time to do a little updating. I love the look of cedar, but the outside is SO BROWN right now - I'm thinking some contrast between the wood and brick, maybe some cedar planks somewhere? Strip back some of the paint and stain? New door? What do you think? Any links to amazing contemporary updates? I don't want to paint over the brick, even though I think a painted brick could look lovely, it seems so irreversible, and the brick is in great shape.

We have a lot of that honey oak woodwork inside, too, and I'm debating whether paint can fix it, or if I need to replace doors, trim, etc. I included a picture of our dining room that has oak built ins - we've taken out the little dated trim piece on top, but otherwise it's all still there in its yellow-y glory :) I've also since painted all of our walls a soft, neutral gray.

Comments (8)