SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Follow up to my atypical ruptured appendix post

2 years ago

About 3 weeks ago, my appendix ruptured. I'd had discomfort from a very gassy feeling abdomen, constipation (which I'd assumed caused the trapped gas) and some nausea, but no sharp pain, right sided abdominal tenderness or fever. But my sister had the very same symptoms years earlier, and her appendix ruptured, so she urged me to get mine checked out. Even though I felt better by the time we spoke, I went to an ER, to learn mine had already ruptured!

I was admitted, and given IV antibiotics for 3 days. Upon release, (with 7 days antibiotics) I was to see the surgeon in 3 weeks, to discuss the next step. That appt. was today. He said my total abdominal hysterectomy a year ago, left significant scar tissue in my abdominal cavity. That would make an appendectomy somewhat more complicated, to get clear to my appendix.

Also, the appendectomy itself would leave scar tissue. A lot of scar tissue can cause an increased risk of developing a bowel obstruction. Lesions can adhere around a bowel portion, distorting its normal structure, like how endometriosis can adhere to areas beyond the pelvic organs.

The surgeon said the odds of getting appendicitis again, aren't any higher than those who've never had it before. So he felt doing a more complicated abdominal appendectomy might be worse in the long run, than just leaving well enough alone. I was ready to go with whatever he suggested, so I'll just take his advice, not borrow trouble and hope that was a one-off event!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH