SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianna_burkholder

Pool Contractor issue in Florida- Advice Please!!

Dianna B
2 years ago

We shopped around for a pool contractor in Southeast florida. We got multiple quotes, read online reviews, and then paid a deposit to one that was reasonably priced. We paid the deposit July 2nd. He informed us that the permit process in our town is taking 10-12 weeks. We had some back and forth on the design, and on July 28th, we agreed to the design, signed a contract with updated information, including a quote from the plumber to replace our sewer line while they are there, and it was supposed to be off to the engineer for final revisions and permits submitted. We hadn't heard anything, but didn't expect to due to the long permit process.

On a whim, I checked the county permit page to see if a pending permit showed up. It did not. I sent an email last Monday asking what the status is. No response. We texted them yesterday, and the rep texted my husband today asking for another copy of our survey. He claimed to have emailed me a request for it last week, but he definitely had not. They have NOT started the permit process.

In the meantime, they have accumulated negative reviews on google in the last month, and I am just getting reservations about proceeding with this company. There are some red flags that really concern me. But we've made a $14K deposit, so I obviously don't want to lose that.

My husband thinks we should send a letter to them per the 2019 florida state law that either requests they start within 30 days or refund our money. I'm worried about pushing too hard if we are going to be stuck with them, though, as that law does allow them to really drag their feet once the permit is approved. (For up to 90 days.) What I'd rather do is push for a refund, but I'm not sure we have a legal standing to do so at this point.

Any thoughts?

Comment (1)