October Already! What Are You Reading?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (92)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
What are you reading in October?
Comments (39)Well a whole week gone by and no comments... I did finish Sisi: Empress on Her Own, which was a wonderful read. (since this was apparently the second in a series, I will soon be reading The Accidental Empress which is the early part of her life. ) Sisi was great historical fiction for anyone so inclined. I was slow to start with the Aviator's Wife but am now soon to finish it- and wow what a book. I am so sorry I didn't read it earlier as I would have loved to discuss this with my father in law who passed recently (at 96) -- I am sure his recolections of Lindbergh and all would have really something. This is the second book I have read by Melanie Benjamin and I have really loved both....See MoreDecember already.......what are you reading ?
Comments (67)I am about halfway through The Illustrated Dust Jacket, 1920-1970 by Martin Salisbury. Much more accessible than The Look of the Book, although not as current since it stops with covers in the 1970's. Salisbury focuses on the artists and the skills they need to design a successful cover, with the theme that dust jackets are truly 'art' despite being ephemeral commercial art intended to sell the book. After an introductory chapter, the rest of the book is a series of 2-5pp articles covering 53 individual well-regarded illustrator/artists, with a brief description of their careers and samples of their work. Most of the names I do NOT recognize, but some I do: Edward Gorey, NC Wyeth, Mervyn Peake, Tove Jansson......See MoreWhat are you reading? October 2022 Edition
Comments (116)I finally finished The Latecomer, which I read about on one of these threads. Sorry don't know who to credit, but thanks for mentioning it. When I looked it up and saw it was about in vitro fertilization and the children born via that method (it's fiction), I was excited to read it. I'm very interested in the ethics of technology and especially the effects on people born, not only via in vitro, but with donor sperm and eggs, surrogacy, etc. I think our technology has gotten way ahead of our ability to think ethically and people's desires to have babies and privileged lives that can pay for things they want without necessarily considering the consequences to the humans they are creating. Since this sounded like it was from the perspective of the children conceived in such a manner, I was excited to see what was written. I love a good dysfunctional family story and wow did it ever deliver! The character development was really good and interesting. The story was very dense and kind of all over the place with lots of seemingly unrelated tangents. But I enjoyed them all. It took me forever to read because I kept having to return it to the library and wait for another copy to become available. I should have just purchased a copy, lol. I think our book group might read The Plot by the same author next month, which Annie reviewed earlier....See MoreWhat Are You Reading? October 2024 Edition
Comments (85)Roxanna, Thanks. I just reserved the first book of the Chronicles of St Mary's series from my library. 😃 I did find the title of the time travel book that I really liked. It was called ‘Time After Time’ by Lisa Grunwald. I'd give it 4 stars. Can't rate it for book groups because I don't do them. I found this book hard to put down. I wish it were a series, but nope, a stand alone novel. A memorable book that stayed with me long after I finished it. I read a series by Connie Willis. It was a 5 book series about time travel during WWII. I read a lot of books on WWII last year. [g] Book #1 was ‘Firewatch’. I'd give the series 3 stars. It was initially very interesting, but as I went through the series, I found the author had a hard time handling the complexity and the stories really bogged down with too much detail. And I like some detail to my stories, but, this was too much even for me. I forgot to rate my book recommendations and I can’t edit that post again. 5 stars Jane Eyre Anne of Green gables To Kill a Mockingbird Anything by Rosamund Pilcher 4.5 stars ‘A Place to Hang the Moon’ ‘The Last Bookshop in London’ Maisie Dobbs series Inspector Armond Gamache Mysteries ‘Beth Chatto’s Woodland Garden’ ‘Younger Next Year’ Some of John Grisham’s books Some of David Baldacci books 4 stars The Maggie Hope Mysteries ‘Mr. Churchill’s. Secretary ‘ ’Time After Time’ 3 Stars ‘Firewatch’ and 4 more in the series...See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMEIt’s National Book Month — Give Your Reading Spot Some Love
Let these cozy nooks and light-washed corners inspire you to make your reading space special
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your October Home Checklist
Cover or store outdoor furniture and grills, and get your home ready for more time spent indoors
Full Story
HOME INNOVATIONSConsidering Renting to Vacationers? Read This First
More people are redesigning their homes for the short-term-rental boom. Here are 3 examples — and what to consider before joining in
Full Story
LIFETo-Dos: Your October Home Checklist
It’s a great time to clean your gutters, swap out seasonal clothes and wallow in favorite fall traditions. What’s on your October list?
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGBaking Soda: The Amazing All-Natural Cleanser You Already Own
Battle grime, banish odors and freshen clothes with this common nontoxic cupboard staple
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your October Home Checklist
As temperatures drop and leaves start to turn and fall, prep for winter weather and enjoy the colors of the season
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESSouthwest Gardener's October Checklist
Softer light and milder weather make desert gardens a real joy this month, but watch the water and don't forget to plan
Full Story
HALLOWEENEasy Halloween Decorations From Stuff You Already Have
Go spooky or sophisticated with these DIY mantel decorations made from household items
Full Story
friedag