SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Which iPhone to buy? And where?

dedtired
2 years ago

My trusty old iphone 6 is no longer cutting it. It works just fine for calls and texts but the capacity is so meager that many apps won’t load. I’d also like a better camera.

I am looking at the iphone 11, the iphone 12 mini and the iphone 12. I like the mini for the size, which is slightly smaller than my 6, but has a larger screen. I think I can make the app icons larger, because they are too small as it comes. I like that it will fit in my pocket and is lightweight so my bag wont be any heavier.

However, I like the larger screens on the 11 and 12. My old eyes appreciate the bigger size. I cant even remember what the difference is between the two, except the price. I dont need a lot of bells and whistles, in fact when I read the specs, I have no idea what they are talking about. I think 64 GBs is plenty for me. My poor old 6 is only 16, so 64 will be a big step up.

I went to the Apple store to look at them, which was a help but I need to decide . I also wonder if buying a phone from Verizon might be a better deal since that’s my carrier and I don’t plan on switching. My current phone doesn’t qualify for a trade in.

The 13 is more than I want to spend, its just not worth that money for how I use it. Any thoughts?

Comments (69)

• dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lyfia , good point about 5G. I do keep my phone for a long time because it’s not something i like to deal with. Hence this post! When it won’t do what I want it to do, I move on but that’ could be quite awhile.

Ive has both good and bad experiences in the Verizon store. It depends more on the person helping you than anything else, in my experience.

Dees, I kind of choke at spending that much money on a phone. That’s just me.

• Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

When I upgraded to the 11, it took me a good while to get used to the size. It was a pain in the beginning because my hands are small, but having the larger screen really makes a difference. You don’t realize how small the screen on the older phone is until you upgrade. The 11 was issued just before 5G launched so it does not have 5G. I don’t know a lot about 5G but if it’s something you have on your radar, it might be better to go with the 12.

I prefer to buy my phone instead of tying it to my phone carrier. I’ve had a really good experience at the Costco Kiosk and the Apple store, but not so great at Verizon and Best Buy. I think with Verizon, it was more about the store itself then the company as a whole. What I really liked about buying from Apple though was that ALL my questions got answered, no guessing, they knew everything about the products and then some. My Verizon store went hard sales on me to buy accessories which was a real turn off. I didn’t experience that at Costco’s Kiosk or Apple. In the future, I’ll probably just buy direct from Apple again. The only draw back about going to the store was that there are always a lot of people.

dedtired thanked Lukki Irish
  • Related Discussions

Lesco Fert - Where to buy/which one to get

Q

Comments (6)
    Penn State county extension agent plus your zip. County Agriculture Agent + your zip, or some variation will get you to the service which is headquartered at Penn State U. Lesco --- try lesco + your zip. I tried lesco + pennsylvania and got numerous locations
    ...See More

want a dwarf sour lemon - where to buy, which to get?

Q

Comments (6)
    We in CA are spoiled with wide-spread availability of citrus trees. If you don't care for Meyer lemons (I don't either) I would go with a Lisbon lemon--very easy to find and the tree is pretty tough. You could also get a Eureka, another grocery-store type that is easily available and the tree is not as thorny (which you can clip off, incidentally). I personally like Lisbons best, since I have had good experiences with them and I like the shape of the tree (less leggy than Eureka); also I have read that Eurekas are not that long-lived compared to other lemons--but I can't recall the specifics, I think it was still along the lines of 20ish years... There are a few other sour lemons that we Californians can access like Italian varieties, but I think the fruits and the trees will prolly be pretty similar to Lisbons or Eurekas...There is also a Seedless Lisbon available (IMO I find most lemons very seedy and lately I have been seeing seedless lemons for sale in the grocery store), put out by Willits and Newcomb, I bought mine at Home Depot. You could get way with a semi-dwarf too--I don't find them to be particulary aggressive growers. Make sure you get a grafted tree, so that you can have a "mature" tree to fruit for you; I've never seen a non-grafted citrus tree in CA... Where in CA do you live? I live in the Bay Area and I travel a good deal in the Los Angeles area and in Sacramento, and I've never had trouble finding trees at big box retailers and local nurseries in any of those regions. I am sure that south of the Sac citrus trees are available everywhere, and I'd imagine that is true thru out CA unless you get into far northern CA or into the foothills maybe?...Do you have an Orchard Supply Hardware nearby? They carry Four winds trees throuhout the state (or so I was told) and they will special-order any type you want--for the same retail price of like 22$, no tax since it is food-producing tree...plus if you hang on to your receipt there is a lifetime guarantee on their plants, not a bad deal if you ask me. HTH.
    ...See More

Buying iPhone from Apple Store or Provider Store?

Q

Comments (3)
    I bought my iPod and iPhone from my local Apple Store. I have been in many times to ask questions and they are very happy to answer them. The Apple stores have several free workshops where you can learn all about the phone. When I buy my next computer it is going to be an Apple in large part because I can drive 10 minutes and ask questions about my new computer, not have to talk to someone across the globe! Ginny
    ...See More

Which Whirlpool should I buy, and where)

Q

Comments (8)
    Well, I like the concept of the huge TL, agitator-free (although Cabrio seems to have a small, hump-like one)relatively high efficiency machines. I've had one for the past 5 years. They hold a lot of laundry - I can do two loads of what would have been 4 in the basic Sear's machine. I looked into the FL machines, but they all seem so small inside, have long wash cyles, can be quite costly, can be unreliable (as any machine can)and I like the convenience of adding clothes throughout the load. Cabrio seems like a very sturdy machine. It's easy to operate. It moves the clothes around very well, in fact I always hear lots of swishing & splashing noises as it works and washes great. Time will tell, but so far, I don't have any complaints. And if something happens to the machine, I have a repair or replace 5 year warranty from Bray & Scarff that I purchased for $139. So far, they promptly exchanged the two new leaking Harmony's I had within days of my calls - no problems dealing with them. I did see Consumer Reports rated Cabrio high, although I'm not sure I saw the negative consumer ratings online although I looked. Personally, I thought my Harmony's were flimsy, and some people just love theirs. Whatever you get, just make sure of the return policy in case it doesn't work out or you don't like it.
    ...See More
  • dees_1
    2 years ago

I understand dedtired.....I'm in the same camp. It took a lot for me to buy the 6s back in 2015! So much money!

dedtired thanked dees_1
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Although I love Apple products, it is really crazy the price of a phone!

I really hope they do not quit making the smaller phones. I've tried the larger ones, and it's just not me. My husband also prefers the smaller size.

dedtired thanked Tina Marie
  • kathyg_in_mi
    2 years ago

Elmer, I had AT&T, then switched to Verizon 2 years ago. I can't wait until my contract expires with Verizon next month. Where I live, with Lake Huron on one side and the state and national forests on the other Verizon keeps dropping calls. At my house it's fine, but when out driving you are lucky to have one bar! When I had AT&T I had no problems. So back I go. It just depends on where you drive.

@marylmi Who is your carrier? Kathy G

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

Not too long ago, I gave up my iPhone 6 and replaced it with an iPhone SE 2nd generation -- it's the exact same size as an iPhone 8, but it has a newer camera and chip. It was released between the 11 and 12, and was right for me since I didn't care about the latest camera or a larger screen......so it was less than either, but still a significant upgrade from my 6

dedtired thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

We had bought the 2nd Generation SE for my husband and he loved it.

Yes, the Iphones are expensive, crazy expensive, I used to swap mine out every year for the newest release because 1/2 the cost was reduced by my trade in. I enjoyed upgrading because the upgrades really made a difference in performance, But now, not so much. A tweek to the camera or a faster chip that the average user isn’t going to notice doesn’t justify the cost to upgrade. The claim about the 11’s battery life per charge was what drew me most to the 11 and it’s lived up to Apple’s claims about it. I used to have to charge my phone daily but now I can easily go days without having to worry about it.

I don’t know if this rings true with the Iphones today but it used to be that the IOS program took up a large portion of the memory available on the entry level offered. Before deciding on how much memory you need, you might want to inquire as to how much memory is recommended for the way you’ll be using your phone. Be sure you allow for future IOS releases as well, because every time a new release for IOS comes out, it will require more memory than the previous version.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

kathy g, coverage and signal quality do vary from place to place so I'm not surprised to hear it doesn't work well where you are. In my area and the mostly urban places I've travelled to over the years in the US, Verizon is usually reliably strong. My only time spent in rural or small town areas, as I think you're suggesting for your location, is driving through or past on freeways/interstates so that doesn't count. All the cell carriers are pretty careful to cover major highways with strong signals. Most of them, anyway.

• WittyNickNameHere ;)
    2 years ago

I have the 11 Pro and love it. My daughter and sister have the 12's (not sure which one) but their photos are even nicer than mine. I'm contemplating upgrading to the 13.

dedtired thanked WittyNickNameHere ;)
  • sprtphntc7a
    2 years ago

i just upgraded from a 6SPlus to a 12 Max Pro. wow, what a difference! i bought directly through Apple. they had the color i wanted, Pacific Blue, wasn't too crowded, got waited on right away. was in and out in about 45 mins. i let them guide me through the set-up.

i wanted to pay up front and Verizon had no deals. i would rather deal with Apple then Verizon to be honest.

upthread someone mentioned they always get black b/c u can't see the color. i bought an Otterbox Clear case so i can always see that calming blue :)

love the wireles charging! and i agree, if u hold on to your phone for a long time, like me, get the latest phone and one with as much memory as u can afford!

• Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

So out of curiosity I was looking at the new Iphones on Apple’s website and came across this, which seems like a pretty good deal.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/carrier-offers

• dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Lukki. Unfortunately my 6 is not an eligible device for trade in since its so old.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Lukki Irish thats what i have, the second generation. Im very happy with it!

• Moxie
    2 years ago

I tend to keep phones for a long time, so I was in the same situation. My battery was wearing out and the highest level operating system supported by my phone meant that certain applications I wanted were not available. I don't care about the camera and I don't like huge phones. I got the iPhone 13 in order to maximize the time the phone is supported. It's only slightly larger than my existing phone and the screen resolution is far better than the iPhone 6. The fingerprint recognition on the 6 was erratic. The 13 has excellent face recognition, with or without glasses. The upgrade process has been automated significantly since the 6 if you are a do-it-yourselfer. Maximizing the support window is worth the extra $100 to me. If that simply isn't an option, I suggest the iPhone 12.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Moxie, did you get a mini or a larger size 13?

• 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

I still use my 6 to stream my favorite Nor Cal jazz station into my 40 year old stereo. It has power and headphone jacks whereas the later devices don’t.

dedtired thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Moxie
    2 years ago

I got the regular 13 rather than the mini. I prefer the size of the mini, but that isn't realistic with my vision. I carry a small purse, and the 13 fits. It's only a little bigger than my 6 -- maybe a quarter of an inch in either direction. It's also a little heavier, but my awareness of that faded quickly. The 13 Pro Max is far too large for me and it's unlikely that I'd ever use all of the cool camera features.

I'm less thrilled with the AirPod Pros. The audio, noise canceling and user interface are all excellent. The buds themselves are a bit large for my ear openings, so I'm still trying to find a position that's comfortable for long periods. If you aren't used to earbuds, I'd suggest getting something inexpensive to explore your preferences.

• marylmi
    2 years ago

Kathyg_in_mi...

I have Verizon and so far, works well for me. Once in a while it may show one bar but doesn't happen often.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Moxie. Air pods! one more thing to consider.

I am leaning to toward the regular size 12 or 13. Decisions, decisions!

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

For people with odd ears, like me apparently, the Air Pods Pro have three different doohickeys to make them fit in your ear. I find the cost of Air Pods truly appalling from the get-go, so believe me when I say the upgrade is worth the additional expense. Plus, they are easier to clean.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

I am actively avoiding Air Pods, and continue to use wired earbuds (or earphones) with an adapter for the Lightning connection. I personally don't think using Bluetooth that close to my brain is a good idea, and I am also pretty sure I'd lose them all the time.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    2 years ago

I am so glad this thread was started, because I have been considering getting a new iPhone. Currently have the 8Plus and really love it. It was purchased in November 2017 and my very first iPhone. I may hang on to it a little longer, just can't make up my mind. Especially after checking with my carrier, Spring which was purchased by T-Mobile, and found that I will be transferred to T-Mobile if I hook up a new phone and T-Mobile says the only cell phone number I have ever had since my first cell phone back in the dark ages is not transferrable to T-Mobile. This really makes me angry!!! I do not want a new phone number - too many family members, friends, stores, grocery stores, and on and on to get a new phone number to. Besides I am too old to have to remember a new phone number. So after learning that less than an hour ago, I am back in limbo. Will have to look for a carrier that will allow the transfer of my current phone number. I will stop ranting.

Honestly, I don't understand why it is not transferrable.

dedtired thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • jrb451
    2 years ago

@WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a, I'd be curious to know the reasoning behind that as well.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Here's a guess - sometimes when an acquisition of a competitor in the same business as the acquirer happens, business and IT systems are NOT combined. As a customer of the acquired company, your account may now have some kind of legacy limbo status, both in and also out.

Following this guess along, it may be your hybrid in but out status ends with a new phone purchase and you'd become a "new customer" in T-Mobile's system. If so, it may be a lot of trouble to transfer over acquired co's customers existing numbers and they may have decided to not offer to do that.

In this age of so many people making calls with smartphones, no one needs to "remember" your phone number. Advise your contacts of the change, they'll change their own phone's record for you with the new number, and life will go on. You should have the phone's number in your own contact list so there's no need to remember it yourself either, you can look it up. Or write it where you can quickly refer to it. Or, you can change to another company if porting the number is allowed.

Good luck.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    2 years ago

Oh, I meant to write about an article I read last week about considering buying a new phone. I found it very interesting. The writer said as long as the company is doing phone updates, you are good; however, once the company stops doing updates start seriously thinking about buying a new cell phone. Makes sense to me.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

@dedtired - the iPhone 12 is just a year old so if money wise it makes more sense to buy then I would. The difference between the iPhone 13 and iPhone 12 is not big enough to warrant no support in the future. Now there are improvements on the 13 over the 12 such as the camera, a faster chip, better battery life etc., however I wouldn't worry about the support if the money difference isn't worth it. I haven't actually looked at the price of the iPhone 12 so not sure how it compares. But I wouldn't get the iphone13 due to a reason to worry about support for the iphone12. I see nothing that is different between the two to cause a new operating system to not be supported for iPhone 12 that would be for iPhone 13.

dedtired thanked lyfia
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The expense isnt an issue except that my miserly brain has trouble spending a lot on a phone. I’m just weird that way. In addition to the phone, I will probably get Apple care, a new case and maybe ear buds and a screen protector. Enough is enough!

Everyone’s comments have been helpful. Thanks.

• Moxie
    2 years ago

Another note on the AirPod Pros: If you have small ears, they may not be comfortable. The hard plastic part is a shade too larger for me, so changing to the small silicone cushions didn't suffice. Also, the silicone cushions can be a bear to change. One of mine was fine, but I thought I was going to destroy the cushion or the whole earbud trying to remove the cushion that came the left pod. Pulling firmly didn't. I finally used a needle to break the seal (glue?) between the silicon and the hard case. After that, they could be removed and installed as they should.

dedtired thanked Moxie
  • Anna
    2 years ago

Ordering online through Apple always carries the risk of theft. For this reason, Apple products are mailed in unmarked packages and the return address makes no reference to Apple. Even those precautions and a signature upon delivery requirement (if that option is available) won’t prevent mail delivery people from opening the package and taking the contents because they recognize the address and packaging. If you report theft to Apple and get a replacement, you might get a “refurbished” item with scratches on it. Going to the Apple store to purchase eliminates the risk entirely.

dedtired thanked Anna
    2 years ago

Apple stores delivers to your door since Covid. I was annoyed when I had to sign for my latest purchase. That requirement was suspended earlier in the pandemic. I use the Apple App.

dedtired thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"my miserly brain has trouble spending a lot on a phone."

I know, I feel the same way, but I have to remind myself, it's a computer, not a phone.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

I want to throw in a good word for Apple Care. The twins have ipads. Even though they are limited in their access to them and the time that they can use them, accidents happen. In the last month, DD has had to make a claim on each. DGD had several small cracks in her screen. DGS dropped something on his and totally destroyed the screen. Apple replaced one and repaired one. I think there was a $50 deductible on each.

Comment on going into the Apple store: Don’t go without an appointment. The Apple store closest to me, which is still far away, requires appointments these days.

Like Elmer, I have always been pleased with Apple Support by phone. I use the call-back feature to reach them. The wait time is usually very short and the support people I’ve talked to have been very pleasant and knowledgeable.

@WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a I thought porting of cell phone numbers was required under Wireless Local Number Portability (WLNP) regulations. Here is a link to FAQs at the FCC about the WLNP https://www.fcc.gov/general/wireless-local-number-portability-wlnp. You may want to read it to see if your situation is covered.

FWIW, I have an iPhone 11XS. It is huge which is what I wanted. Even though it is large, it still fits into the back pocket of my jeans. If I were buying today, I’d get whatever the 13 equivalent is.

• just_terrilynn
    2 years ago

I’m going for the smallest Apple 13 pro. Normally I go with older models and then spend the last years of its wonky life stubbornly refusing to go through the whole new phone process. My family gets sick of hearing me complain that it seems like a racket, phone worked fine till it was paid off lol. Anyway, by the time I figure out how to work everything I should still have several years of use. Also, if I did by chance want to change, the 13 pro might actually have some trade-in value. I will go through Apple for my purchase.

• jrb451
    2 years ago

The on-line Apple Store is showing a month wait before they can ship the 13 Pro Max.

• just_terrilynn
    2 years ago

I was going to go to the store in the mall. If there’s a month wait it just gives a month longer to complain hehe.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    2 years ago

@bbstx, thank you for that link. I will certainly go and read it when I get back from cardiologist. I had no idea there is a law. Again, thank you.

• just_terrilynn
    2 years ago

Continuation of my above: I just discovered my carrier, Verizon, will do $400 for my old iphone 7 towards the 13 pro. So, it's ordered. Much better deal than going through Apple. I do have to wait close to a month. Can't wait as the camera / functions on the 13 pro are meant to be amazing.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bumping this back up with another question. I was all ready to,push the uy button for a 12 when they asked if I want Apple Care. One plan costs $149 and the other, which includes theft and loss, costs $250.

Do I want Apple Care??

2 years ago

It depends on whether you like to buy extended warranties or not. My policy is not to buy them. I might make an exception were I travelling someplace where theft was a major concern. If dropping your phone is a problem, just get a grippy case. I really dislike extended warranties.

• jrb451
    2 years ago

FWIW, I placed an order for a 13 Pro Max yesterday and declined the extras.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thats kind of what im thinking. I rarely buy extended warranties. thanks.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Ded, how rough are you with your electronics? I’m generally a ”no extended warranties” person, but I bought Apple Care for my iPad. I’m a klutz and I knew that if I mangled it, it would be covered. I also bought it for DH’s iPad because with his health issues, dropping it was a given. Fortunately, we never had to make a claim. However, see my comment above about the claims made on the twins’ devices.

ETA: When I buy my new Apple Watch, I’ll probably buy the Apple Care to go with it.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bbstx, Ive had my old phone for years and dropped it a number of times but my Otterbox saved it. Generally im not hard on my phone. Hope i dont regret not getting Apple Care, but i think I will take my chances.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    2 years ago

When the plans for many things first came out many years ago, initially, I purchased them. However, after never having any problems and looking back, I decided not to bother with those plans any more. They did nothing for me, and made money for the seller.

• User
    2 years ago

if the 12 mini has a larger screen than what you currently have, you will be happy. the form factor is small and the camera is amazing! I love mine.

I was originally going to go for the 12 (regular size), but I think they finally went too far with bulk and weight, especially if you add a case.

note that the 13 mini has a better camera and better battery life if that's important to you. but if you don't care about that, the 12 mini is fine and you can save $100 if you go for the previous year's model.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I decided I need the larger screen, so I ordered the 12. It will take a couple weeksmto arrive and yes, you do have to sign for delivery or sign a waiver. i I’m looking forward to having a better phone. Thanks, every everyone.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    2 years ago

Has your new phone arrived?

• jrb451
    2 years ago

Mine was delivered today.

dedtired thanked jrb451
  • 3katz4me
    2 years ago

I’m looking forward to getting a 13 mini. No rush as I have a perfectly good 11Pro - smallest model at the time I needed a new one. However I do want a smaller phone again and my 11 doesn’t support 5G.

dedtired thanked 3katz4me
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My phone finally arrived on Oct. 26. In the meantime, the exact same phone became available in several Apple stores, but I could wait a few days for it. I like it and am learning the new features. Its such a luxury to have enough memory to download my apps. My son helped me transfer from my old phone to new, so I didnt have to go to the dreaded Apple store. I like the size. It took me a few days to get accustomed to the slightly heavier weight.

Oh, and UPS tossed the box on a bench by my front door, no signature. I kept an eye on it via my doorbell cam until I got home.