SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ferocactuslatispinus

Ferocactus Health Issues: Please Advise

Kaegen Lau
2 years ago

Hi, I just transplanted this F. latispinus subsp. spiralis seedling on 5/3/2021, and it has been growing without issue till the last week or so. It's been kept outdoors in full sun, and has been watered (distilled water) only when the soil (1:1 cactus potting mix and coarse silica sand) is completely dry. I watered it thoroughly, just before taking the pictures a few minutes ago; I now have it kept out of direct sunlight on a slightly shaded windowsill indoors.

The body of the plant has started to show depressed, light-colored areas on all the ribs; I assume these discolored depressions are from excessive light. It's strange, since the plant did not show any signs of this earlier this summer when the sun was more intense. The damaged portions of the plant appear much more pronounced than what the images below show.

I'm now really concerned, as I've before read that watering a sun-damaged cactus can induce dormancy, especially when it's this late in the year. I just didn't know what else to do but water the plant, as the regular forum I go to (CactiGuide) has been down for maintenance for over a week now, and I haven't had any luck with members replying to my posts here. I'm really concerned, as this is my favorite plant of my lot, and I'd hate to lose it.

Please, can someone advise me, and help definitevely identify what the issue with my plant is? What can I do to save this plant?

Thank you!

Comments (3)