SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmounstephen

Granite bait and switch - please help!

cmounstephen
2 years ago

Very long story short - last October I went to a local granite supplier to select countertops for our new build. I found a fantasy brown slab that I loved. Really good veining, darker patches, not to sparkly. The salesperson told me she would tag two slabs and hold them for me. Throughout the year, she has mentioned on multiple occasions that, despite her boss questioning the long timeline, she insisted these were saved for me as it’s a multiple counter job (8 counters total + island).
I had asked if I could come and test some samples of tile against the slab and was told they couldn’t access it as it was wrapped and buried in the back. So I have been planning this entire space on the original photos from that first day.
Fast forward, install is this week. I was supposed to receive an email with a picture of the “seam” prior to them cutting. It is two slabs book edged as the island is 9’x10’ - so essentially two full slabs. I did not get one. I insisted on it yesterday, and felt instantly sick when I saw it.
This is not my slab.
When I went in this morning to question her about it, she told me that I was never getting the slab I chose, and she tagged the last two in that bundle for me (something about moving them around the warehouse). I’m sorry, what?!
So you can see in my picture to the left that there were three slabs there. So my question then becomes, how does the veining DIRECTION and colouring change so drastically on the next two stones - if they were all cut from the same spot/family. She said it’s like a loaf of bread and one slice can have a hole and then the next may not. This is not the same loaf. This is like French vs. Pumpernickel ;).
Am I crazy? This can NOT be okay. Also, and I feel most importantly, I was led to believe the stone in my pic was the actual slab 1 of 2 that I purchased.
They are laying the slabs out for me today so I can see it in person. But I feel that even if they are beautiful, it is not what I ordered or designed against for the past year.
What should I do?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor