SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
citress79

Runner for kitchen

Wendy Schmitz
2 years ago

I’ve just completed renovations for my kitchen and I’m looking for runners that will go in front of the sink and range. Im looking for recommendations for runners. Ive looked into Ruggable and while I love the designs, I need to be able to run my vacuum over it and Ruggable rugs can’t handle that. I don’t like the memory foam ones, I’m looking for hardy rugs that I can vacuum and spot clean when needed. Any ideas and recommendations on ones you love? Pic of my new kitchen below!

Comments (24)

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I don't think you need runners at all. They get grungy with crumbs and spills, and it’s another cleaning chore to add to your list. If you want something in front of the sink, there are lovely gel mats that are small enough to fit in the washing machine.

• Fori
    2 years ago

What is your rug for? Comfort? Looks? Keep the dog from skidding? Protect the floor?

I'd get a bright fun inexpensive polypropylene runner. An indoor-outdoor model that looks like an indoor. (I got one for in front of a sliding door where my dog hangs out and didn't notice until I'd had it for months that it was suitable for outdoor use.)

You'd want something you can wash in the driveway when it gets really bad, treat like a regular rug the rest of the time, and spot clean when needed.

But if you need it for comfort, you want something squishier.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

I don't think you need them either and don't care for a rug in my kitchen, but I have machine washable flat weave cotton rugs from Hook and Loom in a couple of hallways, couple of bathrooms. They wash and dry beautifully. No rugs pads with mine. I use my smaller bissell vacuum on them regularly, my spiffier stronger Oreck doesn't make the jump from flooring to rug quite as easily, takes some maneuvering.

• Wendy Schmitz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’d like to put a rug in front of the sink to catch sprays from the sink, and in front of the range to catch oil splatter. The floor is LVP and has been pretty comfortable to stand on so far. My previous flooring is tile and that’s harder on my back

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Most of the most “washable” runners are made from polypropylene. You simply take them to the drive way and scrub with dish soap and rinse well. They are lower

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Oops. They are thinner so less of a trip hazard. The runners come in a huge variety of colors and patterns. We love these but there is one caveat - oil stains are very difficult to remove due to the “plastic” formula. I have also used wool runners in a kitchen but they must be sent out for cleaning. Wool wears well but the cost of cleaning can be prohibitive.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

I have used rugs in our kitchens the last 30yrs, and that's with three children, dogs and cats, a husband and now three grandchildren. It is not impossible to have clean rugs in the kitchen.

One of our dogs lost both of her eyes in a 9mth period. We had just moved to our new home when she lost her second. One of the tricks to it have rugs so the blind animal can more easily stay on their normal paths. I added a second runner to our kitchen to keep her from hitting the barstools. Purchased on Etsy from this dealer. I always buy pads from RugPadUSA. As far as vacuuming goes, I use the beater and always vacuum the ends going outward to keep vacuum from eating the rug ends and corners (not with fringed rugs).

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

Some options for you

Safavieh Natural Fiber Collection NF443 Rug, Marble/Grey, 2'6" X 6' · More Info

nuLOOM Thigpen Striped Contemporary Area Rug, Gray, 2'6"x12' · More Info

Modern Persian Medallion Gray/Ivory 2'x8' Runner Rug · More Info

Striped Shag Area Rug, Off White, 2'6"x6' · More Info

Safavieh Florida Shag Collection SG455 Rug, Cream/Beige, 2'3" X 10' · More Info

Traditional Vintage Garnished Medallion Rug, 2'6"x10' · More Info

• Kate
    2 years ago

I bought a wellness stress mat and love it! I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and really appreciate the cushion and ease of cleaning it. Spend the big bucks and get a quality one that matches your flooring best.

• L thomas
    2 years ago

Ruggables can't be vacuumed? Whoops...

• Wendy Schmitz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Arch13 - I mean Ruggables doesn’t stay flat when vacuumed, it gets “sucked into” the vacuum instead of laying down flat. That’s what I read

• K R
    2 years ago

My Ruggables are attached by Velcro to the comfort mats, they’re able to be vacuumed no problem and they wash beautifully. I love mine.

• K R
    2 years ago

I have gone through so so so many runners in the past, I’m finally happy I can wash these and they hold up. They’re built for a tough kitchen.

• Wendy Schmitz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmm.. That's a good idea, to use Velcro. But when you toss it into the wash, will the stick on Velcro stay put? Oh wait, you must have sewed it on.

• heathermalia
    2 years ago

House of Jade has nice rugs. I love rugs in the kitchen.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

What she is saying are the Ruggable company sells two rug pads (thicker and thin) to use with their rugs. They call their rugs a "rug cover" since they are thin. Video here. You don't actaully use Velcro brand strips to hold the rug down.

• Chris T
    2 years ago

Consider a gel mat in front of the stove. Super easy to clean when it gets splatters on it, which will happen more frequently than you may think. I spray mine with a Mrs. Meyers cleaner and wipe up with a paper towel .

• jalarse
    2 years ago

I have the ruggables, and I love them. I use the high setting for thick carpets and start in the middle and vacuum out towards the edge. Actually just as easy to take them outside and shake them. They wash beautifully. After 20 years of replacing kitchen runners these are keepers.

• bmorepanic
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Ikea has some inexpensive runners. I bought acrylic ones and they lasted about 8 years. I need mine to be coffee colored.

• H B
    2 years ago

I got a ruggable to try it out in my kitchen... got the extra thick mat. I cannot use my Dyson vacuum on it (just stops). However, the rug washes very well. Mine sits on top of the padding. Both the pad/rug creep a little from our walking path on it, but it is easy to pull back into place (we have a 3x5, which may move more readily than a runner). I really like the thicker padding while standing at the sink (and we have wood floors).

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

You might like Spicher and Company vinyl floor cloths. They come in 100+ patterns and many sizes, are easy to clean, reasonably priced, and I love the look.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I think your kitchen looks great without runners. Aren’t kitchen runners a tripping hazard? I really enjoy having my long gel mat in front of my kitchen sink. It is functional, decreasing foot fatigue. My mat is made by David Burke, is 20”X 56”, is about 2 years old and looks new. Easy to clean with soap and water.

• cheri127
    2 years ago

While the inexpensive Safaveih polypopylene runners are fun and cheap, they look bad fast when used in the kitchen. I've had very good luck with Dash and Albert hand hooked wool runners. They vacuum easily, come in nice patterns and are comfortable to stand on.