SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gschier

Painting too large?

gschier
2 years ago

I have two paintings on either side of my breakfront. I placed an extra dining chairs under each of the paintings but I’m thinking that the paintings are too large for the chairs. Should I put the chairs in storage until needed or add something to the side of the chair, like a blue and white vase?. Also should I replace the frames?
Thank you,
Gail S

Comments (39)

• Cate
    2 years ago

I would move the chairs.

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

I like the chairs. It looks so bare when you remove them. What I would do is NOT scatter the vases here and there. They will look better clustered in 3's - but probably would removed them as you have enough going on in the room.

• Related Discussions

Too much furniture? Too large?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi everyone! I am not good as judging the scale of furniture for the size of a room. I have been in my house for 2 years this month, and I am about to purchase the 3rd living room set. My living room is 15� x 18� (best usable space) which is open to the kitchen. I want to purchase Tommy Bahama style furniture which includes a large entertainment center. I have drawn a diagram in Microsoft excel, I will try to include in this post. What is your opinion, is this too much furniture, is the size of the furniture too large? How is the placement of the furniture? Thank you for your opinions!! Barb I hope you can view this, I have included a link to photo bucket where the picture is stored. However, it is a picture of my microsoft excel diagram screen. [IMG]http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae210/HDRockerCgirl/livingroomdiagram.jpg[/IMG] http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae210/HDRockerCgirl/livingroomdiagram.jpg
    ...See More

Is this Painting too large?

Q

Comments (13)
    It looks good. When you get ready to hang it, try rotating your chairs so they move 1/8 way around the table. That way, the backs of the chairs won't be flat against the walls and won't interfere with the frame of the painting. Otherwise, you may have to hang it too high to clear the chairs.
    ...See More

Best Wall for Arrwork?

Q

Comments (9)
    I'll take a step back! Why aren't you using your living room? In our previous house we had a formal living room in the front and an open family room & kitchen in the back. If I had guests I did not want the TV to be part of the get together, so we placed the big TV in the formal living room with a large sectional and made that the "media room". Could you do something similar? Do you need a TV in this space or could the painting go in that spot?
    ...See More

How large is too large for a masterbath shower?

Q

Comments (20)
    I think 4' x 5' is ideal. That's ample-plenty for one person, and if you go larger, you risk - the shower head not reaching corners for cleaning /cleaning becoming an onerous task. - Not being able to reach into the shower easily to reach the water controls (admittedly, I'm small with short arms). - being too far from the edges /unable to easily reach the grab bars. This may not apply to you now, but at some point it will. - a shower pan not being available for your size -- and a shower pan is more sturdy /will last longer than a tile floor. If you want the look of a tile floor, you can get a tile-ready shower pan. - the cost of nice tile and the good glass walls being out of reach.
    ...See More
  • Sammie J
    2 years ago

I do think the artwork is a bit heavy for the chairs, but I quite like them together. And, yes to grouping the vases instead of scattering.

• sierra90
    2 years ago

Maybe try chairs in corner and vases next to hutch covering plug, leaving pictures as is. Easy try to see how it looks?

• Connie Stackhouse
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would put the chairs in the corners, angled toward the room, not directly under the pictures. Then you could play around with the placement of the vases. You might even put a plant on one side in place of the vase.

• gschier
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok I will try the chairs in the corners and the vases under the pictures. What do you think?

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Gorgeous room.

I would have the chairs under the paintings and ginger jars on china cabinet.

• gschier
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok I will try the chairs in the corners and the vases under the pictures. What do you think?

• gschier
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would put the vases on top of the china cabinet but what about the pediment on the china cabinet. The piece isn’t flat on top. Does that matter?

• Jilly
    2 years ago

That’s a good question! I was trying to find an example with a pediment, I’ve seen it in magazines before, but years ago. If I come across one, I’ll post it.

• heathermalia
    2 years ago

I don't think it matters that the cabinet doesn't have a flat top. The vases would be better up there. I don't know about the chairs in the corner, they look like time-out chairs! I would remove them for now because to me they look like they ran away from the dining table. Perhaps a different kind of chair with a cushion color from the rug or the paintings would work. I love this room it's very opulent. But you do have a lot of tan and brown happening between the walls, the seat cushions and the wood. I love the paintings!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I like chairs in the corners, with vases.

• Connie Stackhouse
    2 years ago

I too like them in the corners. Taking them out of the room seems like a lot of work when they are clearly dining room chairs and must be brought back periodically when needed. I have my extra chairs in the corners of my dining room because I normally don’t have a leaf in my table. It is hard enough to lug the extra leaves fron the closet (40+ year old table) without also dragging the chairs in from other rooms.

• auntthelma
    2 years ago

I like the chairs under the paintings. i would not change the frames they are a striking set

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Putting them in the corners looks ”off” to me, as if you’re trying to make them accent chairs instead of extra dining chairs. It might work in a more casual room, or in a smaller room, but not your sizeable and grand room. They have a more balanced feel straight on the wall, or slightly angled under the paintings.

What is on the other side of the room?

ETA: This works in such a formal setting because it’s an actual accent chair, not one of the armless dining chairs:

• gschier
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love the pictures of the beautiful dining rooms that you posted as well as the other dining room post earlier. Where are you finding these photos? This is the other side of my dining room. I have one of those corner chairs. It is in the basement storage. I never know what to do with it. I might bring it up to try out.

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Thanks for posting picture. Your room is beautiful.

• Carolae
    2 years ago

I too would leave the chairs under the paintings (without the ginger jars on the floor). It’s a formal look for a formal, elegant room :)

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Agree with others: what a lovely formal room! (Won't lie: part of me wants to shield it from those who'll come around to recommend replacing your gorgeous chandelier with a linear pendant type. I won't even post a picture of what I mean in case someone misinterpret my comment as a suggestion. :P)

Also agree with others: the chairs under the frames (lovely, don't change!) make sense. Straight on, not in the corner time out. Here's another dining room pic (different style) where it's done.

I love Jinx' suggestion of placing the jars on top of the breakfront. Not sure how many in total you have but yes, group them for best effect. There's such a lovely accent. Maybe you need to add more of them? :) Here's a pic from designer Mark Sikes who often uses them as accents. Not a formal style to this room though.

He's placed ginger jars on pedestals in this dining room.

Since you asked about changing the frames, I wonder if you are looking to add or mix modern touches to your traditional room? If so, I would consider contemporary art in the classic frames or changing the mirror to something simpler. But really, there's no need. Absolutely nothing wrong with a formal traditional room if that reflects one's taste and lifestyle. My only quibble with the room is the visible cords and outlets. I know these realities are Photoshopped out of professional pictures so not sure how best to dissimulate them in real life. (Plants?) In any case, thanks for sharing pictures of your lovely dining room. Refreshing to see.

• jill302
    2 years ago

No advice, love your room.

• Jeanne Cardwell
    2 years ago

Maybe put your arm chairs under pictures instead of side chairs. Agree about no vases on floor.

• decorpatti
    2 years ago

Beautiful room, elegant and bright. I think the chairs under the paintings looks fine, and agree that 3 ginger jars would look good on top of the china cabinet, even if the pediment obscures one a bit.

Mostly, I am glad that no one has suggested (yet) that you remove the top of the china cabinet ... I see this all the time, as buffets seem to be more popular today. I have a cabinet very much like yours that I love and that serves as storage for my lovely china, silver, and crystal ware, and I know that it might be considered 'dated' by some on this forum. I like that it is tall, as the ceiling on that wall is 15 feet high. This IS my formal dining room, and the fact that it is traditional and formal (but still comfortable) makes sense for us and for our home. We have other eating areas that are more informal.

Your dining room reminds me of why I love traditional style, though I can appreciate and love other styles as well. A beautiful traditional room filled with fine furniture and well-crafted accessories is timeless...you can't tell when it was designed; it is just classic. Of course, traditional rooms that contain clunky, cheaply made reproductions can just look overdone, not nearly as attractive and 'old-fashioned.' With today's emphasis on temporary or 'disposable' furniture, it is so nice to see a gorgeous room like yours.

• gschier
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions and compliments. I am trying out a few options. Thoughts?`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

• gschier
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m not in love with the corner chair in that space. I do like the arm chair under the painting.

• Carolae
    2 years ago

I prefer the side chairs under the paintings. Extra side chairs for a dining room set are often placed against a wall. If there are only two arm chairs they belong at the ends of the table.

• kpyeatt
    2 years ago

If you're going to use those chairs on that wall, they need to be centered under each picture. Not off to the left or right of the picture. Blue and white would be better placed over the china cabinet. But to me, the pictures look a bit too heavy for the side chairs. And the blue and white sitting on the floor next to the chairs don't help with the heaviness of the pictures.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I didn't like the last set.

For earlier group: I see chairs only, under paintings.

But a more 'relaxed' look, with chair in corner and vase is nice. This difference might resemble symmetrical formal garden // versus scattered 'natural' garden.... ? Ya can't say either is bad.

• Cate
    2 years ago

Im wondering if its the gold frame that doesnt relate to anything in the room so it stands out so much?

• Kelly
    2 years ago

I think you need tall plants in corners! The room is beautiful, and i wouldn’t touch those frames. Do you need the chairs handy there for frequent overflow seating? You could put the two on the same side with a very small table between so it is a more usable niche

• kpyeatt
    2 years ago

I agree with Cate. All you see are those frames. Takes over the whole room.

• homechef59
    2 years ago

I love a formal dining room. That chandelier is to die for. My suggestion is to arrange the Chinoiserie objects on top of the pedimented breakfront. It appears that you have three of them. Group them together. If you only want to put the vases up there as a pair, put one on each end.

I found that when I put my vases on the floor, I fear kicking them or knocking them when I am vacuuming. So, I've taken them off the floor.

When I am storing chairs, I like to put the side chairs under the table and the arm chairs against the wall. It's a quirk of mine because my arm chairs do not match my side chairs. In either case, the extra chairs should go underneath the paintings.

An alternative choice would be to acquire two plant stands and place them underneath the paintings with two house plants.

I've got a thing for blue and white, too. One unkind person on this forum commented when I was doing this room that it looked like a cheap Chinese import store. It may have, but it wasn't cheap.

Alpine · More Info

Alpine · More Info

Alpine · More Info

Alpine · More Info

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Beautiful home. You really don't need our advice.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Homechef, are those your rooms? Beautiful!

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

You're doing a great job of trying out things, so here's my 2 cents. I think the ginger jars are a bit too heavy visually to work on china cabinet with the finer lattice detail. However, they carry enough weight to sit on the floor under the pictures all by themselves, IMO. Since you have 10 chairs, why not fully open the table and use them all there? I don't care for your corner chair here; the leather seat is just not quite right for the feminine feeling of the other pieces. It might be best in the gentlemen's smoking retreat! loll Another thought is to place the ginger jars on the floor either side of the buffet on the opposite side of the room. I don't care for the ceramic garden stool here, but it might work well beside the corner chair out in the foyer (another possibility & just a guess.) Perhaps the best solution is to leave the space under the pictures empty but to center them at 5' above the floor. I think they're hung a bit high and it is noticeable once you remove the chairs. Lovely room; please share the other spaces with us. We love to see a home that is done so well.

• partim
    2 years ago

It's so refreshing to see a room that isn't modern country. To my eye the chairs look good under the paintings. Maybe add some more touches of gold to repeat the gold of the frames.

• nolanirvana
    2 years ago

You have a lovely room. I would not put the ginger jars on the floor. I think the paintings could be lowered slightly. Have you thought about putting an extra leaf in the table and having the extra chairs at the table ?

• Laurie Gordon
    2 years ago

Your room is beautiful.

• homechef59
    2 years ago

decoenthusiate makes a good suggestion. Try putting the vases on each side of the console in the niche. This would serve two purposes in that spot. The vases would hide the electrical cords and they would not be in a position on the floor where they might get inadvertently kicked.

Jinx, yes that is my house. Thank you. Some of us embrace traditional decorating, the use of color and appreciate fine craftsmanship. I'm not into modern farmhouse, whatever that is. I'm glad that the grey everything phase is moving out, too.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!