SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_underwood61

Help with driveway design ideas for country home

David Underwood
2 years ago

Good afternoon. We have been in our home for about 4 years and have kept it a dirt driveway because I knew I may want to move some of the roads before I commit to putting down gravel. We have a private drive that goes between our house and my in-laws. When you first come in the drive currently it branches for ours and then branches for a loop in front of our house and a drive that goes to the garage. For visitors, I would like a way for them to be directed to the front door and a way for FedEx and UPS to easily drop packages. This is why I current have the loop that I have. The main thing is the road on the right that goes to the garage today causes a bit too tight of a turn parking at the garage and I feel it needs to shift to the right of the tree that is on the right as it currently goes between two trees. The challenge with the current loop is twofold: (1) I don’t prefer how the pea gravel area in front of our front steps is off-center and (2) it will take a lot of gravel at the current size. I feel we have an oddity with the way the drive comes in and the front door to the left so it’s hard for me, a right handed person, to embrace it. I am including some photos that show an aerial view, some proposed drawings that I did for an idea with a circular loop, and photos of the house showing the front and toward the road. I would love any input or ideas as I’m sure there may be things that I have not thought of.

This will help me out a lot because I’ve tried for two years to think of something different and always hit a wall. I wanted to orient the house the other direction (180 degrees flipped) and have the drive come in from the other direction, but we didn’t build that way. I’m also not opposed to cutting a new drive in from the road if needed.

Thanks so much.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms