SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azcantada

Damaged hardwood floor in front of sliding glass door: what to do?

azcantada
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are slowly renovating the 1962 split level we purchased last year. Before we moved in, we had all the floors refinished (14 months ago). There was a big piece of transition from wall to wall in front of the patio sliding door, with a notch cut out for the floor vent (standard size). I hate the fact that it's wall to wall (should only be in front of the door), is this wide, and that a chunk is cut out of it for the floor register. This transition was refinished too instead of addressed last year (when all the things I now despise about it hadn't yet sunken in). I pulled up the transition recently to find the damaged wood you see in the attached pictures, as well as a hole in the floor with a piece of wood replacing it.

What are my options here?

• Put the transition back and live with it
  • Refinish the floors in front of either side of the wall and trim the transition to just be in front of the patio door
  • Refinish the floors wall to wall in front of the door, and install a new transition that is less wide so there is no notch for the floor register (if we go this route - I need to shave the register down too, or have a custom one built - it's still too wide with that hole in the floor needing covering)
  • Install a border??? Cut out the damaged wood from wall to wall and fairly wide, and install new flooring perpendicular to the old floor with diagonal cuts in the corners as a defacto border that only exists there???

I have no idea!!! I'm racking my brain trying to find a solution that doesn't involve installing an entire new floor (or something similarly expensive). TIA

Comments (3)