SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stef369

Daikin heatpump crazy high stand-by power consumption

stef369
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I recently had a Daikin Altherma 3 H HT W (16 kW, 3-phase) air-to-water heat pump installed, for our underfloor heating system.

A pretty serious investment, which I expect should give us an eco-friendly solution and considerable power savings.

We have two houses in different parts of the country, and when we are not around, I expect the heatpump to use a minimum of electricity on stand-by.

HOWEVER, the Daikin heat pump is using 500 watt (!) continuously when on stand-by. This amounts to 12 kWh per day or 360 kWh per month - for nothing!

(I am measuring the power consumption with a Shelly 3EM energy meter and I know what I am talking about - the energy consumption is isolated to the external and internal Daikin units.)

Looking around on the internet, I have seen talk of heat pumps on stand-by using power for "crankcase heaters" - could it perhaps be the culprit?

Whatever the reason, I don't think Daikin can defend having their supposedly eco-friendly products use such a high amount of power on standby.

Any thoughts?

Comments (15)