SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalbestyears

A new favorite recipe to share

Bestyears
2 years ago

I made this for my son and his gf recently, after discovering it in a book I was reading, "The Kitchen Counter Cooking School," and really loved it. It's a nice vegetarian dinner, easy to prepare, although chopping 3 lbs. of zucchini and caramelizing the onions can take a little time so I did those in the morning. Thought others here might enjoy it. All commentary in the recipe is from Kathleen Flinn, the author.

Rustic Italian Farmhouse Zucchini “Sauce” with Penne

This recipe is based on one developed by my friend Lisa Simpson after a meal at a picturesque Sicilian donkey farm. The slow-cooked zucchini takes on a nutty, earthy flavor and the pasta water “melts” the vegetables in a sort of thick sauce. This dish is best prepared in a stainless steel or cast iron pan to effectively caramelize the vegetables. Cook the pasta to not quite al dente so that it will finish cooking in the zucchini and absorb more flavor. Brown rice works well in place of pasta. Season the final outcome with liberal doses of coarse salt and ground black pepper. I sometimes add cooked Italian sausage, fresh basil, or pine nuts at the end of cooking. This pasta pairs well with a creamy white wine, such as Chardonnay. SERVES 2 TO 3 AS A HEARTY MAIN DISH, 4 AS A SIDE 3 tablespoons olive oil

• 3 pounds zucchini, chopped into half-inch dice
  • 6 ounces dried whole-wheat pasta, such as penne
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup caramelized onions (optional) (See note below.)

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini and toss to coat evenly. Stir frequently over medium heat. Depending on your pan, the heat level, and the size of the dice, it should take 12 to 25 minutes until the zucchini browns and starts to fall apart.

Meanwhile, add the pasta to boiling salted water. Cook 2 minutes less than the package instructs. Before draining, carefully scoop out 3 cups of the hot pasta water. Add 1 cup to the browned zucchini. Bring to a soft boil, adjusting the heat if necessary, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Add another half cup of water and repeat the process until the zucchini takes on a thick, almost creamy consistency. Add the cooked pasta, at least a couple of pinches of coarse salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper to the zucchini. Cook for a couple of minutes, until the pasta softens. If using caramelized onions, stir them in along with the pasta. After removing the skillet from the heat, taste again to see if the dish needs salt or pepper before serving.

Note: Caramelized Onions Caramelized onions are an easy way to add a lot of flavor to a dish. I make a big batch and freeze it in 1-cup portions. A large ten-ounce onion cooks down to about a half-cup, or five ounces, of caramelized onion. Basic technique: Thinly slice 2 onions. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions until softened, then lower the heat to a simmer and gently brown them for about 25 minutes.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES