SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
circonium

Tell me what to expect with rewiring

circonium
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've been getting bids to rewire my new-to-me 1915-ish house. About 25% of the wiring has been updated, according to one of the electricians I've talked to, but I have a lot of ungrounded circuits.

It's obviously an expensive big project.

I should just bite the bullet and do it, righit? Is there any reason not to do it all? I keep thinking, the previous owners lived here a long time without any trouble, but....

I asked one electrician how long the project will take and how disruptive it will be, and he said, 4 weeks, and extremely. Does that sound about right? I was hoping that by going with a bigger company we might speed it up. My partner and I work at home so power and internet disruptions are not ideal.

Do they start at the bottom of the house and work up? Is it room by room?

I have heard of some companies that remove baseboards and route the wires through those, as opposed to opening up walls. A guy I spoke with today said he would make holes in the walls and remove any existing K&T. He said this would be messy but implied it was better. Thoughts?

Finally, what is typical in terms of adding additional outlets, changing switch placement. Is this a good time to rethink those things?

Sorry for the muddle of questions, I have never given much thought to house wiring before and am trying to think through what I need to ask.

Appreciate any advice or experiences if you've done this.

Comments (7)