SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marymason2

what to expect with after-the-fact bathroom remodel

marymason2
10 years ago

We remodeled an existing bathroom, keeping the overall footprint the same. But we did move and replace all fixtures and a window. We did not pull permits, but we want to now. What can we expect in terms of what the inspector will want/need to uncover to do his/her inspection?

We have a tiled shower/tub combo, tiled floor, tiled sink wall. Can the bathroom be inspected without ripping out tile?

Some electrical work was done, but we did have the whole house rewired (with permit) before the bathroom was done.

We used a licensed contractor, and we believe everything is up to code. I do not want the contractor to get in trouble. If we proceed with after-the-fact permits, is it possible the city could force us to rat him out?

The houses in our area have a limited set of models, and my understanding is that the inspector knows the neighborhood pretty well. He will notice that things were moved around, so for that reason (and I really don't want to lie), it's not feasible to hope he won't notice.

We would like to do more remodeling with permits and want to get this sorted before we proceed. Don't want to get in a situation where we do more and more stuff without permits because we are afraid they will rip apart our bathroom and it will cost thousands to put right again.

Thoughts?

Comments (9)