SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_hoover83

Salvia not blooming as much as last year?

Matt Hoover
2 years ago

I bought my first house a year ago in Bay Area, CA. There are numerous salvia plants on all sides of the house. In Sept 2020 when we bought it, the salvia was in full bloom everywhere, and stayed bloomed for quite a while. We kept using the same gardener who has been maintaining the whole yard for 10+ years, so I presume nothing he did changed. He trimmed all the salvia to the ground in the winter, which I think is correct. The plants themselves quickly came back to full height in mid-summer. But the blooms seemed very reluctant to pop, and when they finally did (in some but not nearly all places), they did not last very long. In many places they went straight from "starting to bloom" to "dying". See attached photo... on the right you can see two of the rare "good" blooms, surrounded in the foreground by many blooms that just never really came to be.

We only water twice a week for 10 minutes. Maybe that is not enough? But I thought these had very low water requirements. I see some of the same salvia around town, planted in areas where everything else around them is 100% dead, implying those areas get very little water, and some of those ones bloomed really strongly and for a really long time, despite the apparent low water they get.

Any ideas what we can do different next year?

Comments (2)