Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

What's for Dinner #397 Sept-Oct 2021

White Miso Ginger Dumpling Veg Soup

Comments (104)

• annie1992
    11 months ago

Boy, am I behind!

First, Seagrass, I LOVE the Aussies, they're beautiful. The stuffies looks pretty good too, LOL.

Everything looks delicious, from the cookies to the sushi. Ann's steak is always perfectly done for me and Rob's ribs look sticky and just right. Sleevendog's dinners are fresh and healthy and beautiful as always, and then there is the apple pie, which is just lovely. Of course I love all the seafood.

Lynda, would that be a nutella brownie in the skillet? Yum!

Gardengrl, my meals are seldom fancy, LOL. Sometimes they are half eaten before I even remember!

Anyway, Peppi came to visit, it was so good to see her. Since I was taking Mother to my brother's for the weekend, I wasn't home to cook, but I baked homemade rye bread, some focacia, cheese coins. Elery made some venison Italian sausage and I got out jars of home canned basil green beans, pickled asparaus, pickled biquinho peppers. We had some cheese, some proscuitto that Peppi brought, some salami. We ate and talked and it was good.

I finally made those lemon ricotta pancakes I've kept the recipe for for several years, with some blueberry sauce made with blueberries from the freezer:

I made a moose loin while Peppi was here, with some roasted vegetables, and I had cured a venison roast and made corned venison so I could make hash.

Peppi gave me a hands-on tutorial on rouladen, which we had with mashed potatoes and Peppi's red cabbage that she cans. I had two helpings of mashed potatoes and then was full to the point of bursting. I forgot to take a picture until we were packing up the leftovers for storage, LOL.

I baked some rye bread and a cake with apples, raisins, pecans, cinnamon and a buttermilk glaze that gets poured over the warm cake after holes are poked in the cake with skewers. It came from a soft cover book called "America's Test Kitchen's Lost Recipes" and was called "Cafeteria Lady's Cake". It was good, I was impressed and extremely easy and "unfussy".

Peppi brought along her chaperone, Her Royal Highness The Princess Emma Bella. Yeah, not really, but she THINKS she's the Princess, and it's the thought that counts. We wore the poor thing out!

Peppi and I went to a local apple orchard and bought apples, so I'll be making something with apples soon. We also visited a local small meat market so she could buy some beef tongues, and other than that we just talked and caught up, it was so good to see her again.

And now, I think I'm caught up!

Annie

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    11 months ago

What a nice visit. Some sense of normalcy finally. Nothing like a good in person 'gab' and even better---a house guests that is also a good cook.

I had an excellent HomeEconomics teacher in high school. Where i first had beef tongue. Loved it ever since but only have it from delis. I like it sliced paper thin in a sanwich. I got rid of our electric deli slicer.

Made salmon croquettes last night. Expected them to fall apart being the VP of the fall-apart club. They were perfect. Last weekend i attemped smashed/crash potatoes that totally fell apart.

• Related Discussions

SS Support Mon. Sept. 27th through Sun. Oct. 3rd!!!

Q

Comments (35)
    hi! Checking in. I'm taking my DD out for her first driving lesson this morning at dawn's early light. Wish me luck. I've been practicing "calm" all night long! DeeMarie: Vegas? I love Vegas! When are you going? LUCKY wishes for you! Tikanas: Glad to hear SB (South Beach) is relatively easy. I have found I'm not having any trouble yet, nor is DD, but DH is asking for Bugles and OJ! He is REALLY having a hard time (carboholic) and has had terrible nightmares every night since cutting out the carbs---I wonder why? Really! If anyone knows anyone else who has experienced this, please let me know what happened after they cleaned their system out---will it get better for him? Only the shadow knows.... I hope you get your appetite back, T. We are all pulling for you. Starting my figurative scupture class at the local college today. I am really challenged in that area, so this ought to be an exercise in teaching for my teacher---lol. Jen: Did you get my email w/ Maddie's addy? I want the roasted cauliflower soup recipe, Raeanne! While I was flying home, I read a good recipe for clam soup - no cream - and we tried it the other night. DH and I liked it a lot. I made a small batch, but tomorrow, I'll make a larger one, then post the recipe. NHSuzanne, once again, the end of the month and I'm thinking heavily about you and your deadlines. Hope they went okay. I bet you are going to ride your heart out and breathe in the great outdoors this weekend! We'll wait to hear of your adventures! Hi to everyone else. Hope Magic Kitty and Patti and Dave are doing okay in FL! Be good to yourself and your bod! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) *** beginning 4th day of South Beach - I'll add a star tomorrow if I get through this BBQ party tonight!
    ...See More

SS Support Sept 27 to Oct 3

Q

Comments (15)
    Wow! I really thought I was going to be clever with the RABBIT RABBIT and be first, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo.... Ah, well, have a great time at the pumpkin farm. I still have to read and catch up with everyone. :-( Ivamae: HAPPY BELATED B-DAY! LOVE having you here! ...Ivamae- Did you ever hear from Harold, the weight-loss guy? When someone disappears off the diet forum, it always makes me think of the movie Chocolat, when the mayor ends up wallowing in the window of the chocolate shop....haha...just sayin'...! Well, I started weighing myself in kilograms about a couple of weeks ago, and I love it! :-) The numbers are so much more friendly! I get to do the dump run today. One thing about living remotely is duty of the garbage runs. The guys at the dump are really nice though and help me unload my trash. I wish I had less of it! The packaging really counts for A LOT... Next year, I hope I use less stuff and eat more things out of a garden I WANT TO BUILD. I made a deer-resistant enclosure and have been letting the chickens run in there all summer - so it's fertile now! This weekend, I will go to the horse farm and get straw bays to put in there for the winter. Next spring, I'll put dirt on top of those and have a straw bale garden. Has anyone done this before? My friend's straw bale garden was SO successful! She had TONS of tomatoes. Okay, check in! (((((((((HUGS, everyone!)))))))) Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Straw Bale Gardens
    ...See More

SS Daily Sept 26 to Oct 2

Q

Comments (28)
    Hello, Remember me? I am sorry to be MIA and I don't even have a good excuse! Just busy I guess. I have new hours at work and it has messed me up a little time wise. I am a creature of habit! I actually have a great work schedule now and am finding I am getting a lot more done and not spending much time on the computer. But I have missed you all. I know that I have missed alot and will try to catch up.... Happy Belated Birthday Joanne! John (((HUGS))) I don't know how you feel about this, and please don't just roll your eyes when I make this suggestion, but have you tried Feng Shui? I have dabbled in it a little over the years, but this past spring I bought a book called "Move your stuff, change your life" by Karen Rauch Carter. I started taking it very seriously this summer and it has made some interesting changes in my life and my husbands, financially, socially, and in our relationship. It may sound crazy to some, but I really believe in it and it does work. The changes it suggests are simple things to add to your home and nothing that will cost lots of money. I even bought the book from half.com and saved $$ there. She has a website also, that I will post below if you are interested in checking it out. Please know that you are in my thoughts and I wish you nothing but the best. I am still doing WW. I think I must be doing maintenance though, because I have not lost anything else, but have not gained either. I need to spiff up my exercise a little more to get things moving. The holidays are coming! TTFN! Love, Besh Here is a link that might be useful: Move your stuff, change your life!
    ...See More

Daily Support Mon. Sept.13th through Sun. Sept. 19th

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi, ladies! It's me - back from the world of very little computer access!!!!! I finally can access the internet on my little laptop, the first time in 3 months, so now I can play as much as I want. It was difficult using my friend's computer for very long at a time without being a nuisance, so it became just easier to not even try most days. Looks like I've got a lot of reading and catching up to do. It's the perfect time to have a bad knee, I guess. Unfortunately, it's my artificial knee, and that's worrisome to me because all I did to start this problem was step carefully (I swear!) down off a curb Sunday afternoon, and ever since then, every time I turn around, I'm reinjuring it. Today, I've just stayed in bed with ice wraps until the man came to hook up my 'puter. I've missed everyone. Looks like the divorce may happen next week now because my lawyer and I feel like almost-x's figures are as close to the truth as we can determine. I'll be glad to have that part of my life behind me. He's been more than unpleasant these last 3 months, and I can't handle any more stress. Back in a day or so once I backread y'all's news!
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    11 months ago

sleevendog, my crashed potatoes ALWAYS fall apart, I thought I was the expert on that, LOL. The salmon cakes look perfect, they make up for any deconstructed potatoes!

It was a very nice visit, I've missed Peppi a lot. As for beef tongue, I remember when I was a kid, Dad liked them sliced in sandwiches. More than one of my friends opened the refrigerator to be surprised at the sight of a big, cold beef tongue, just sitting on a plate waiting to be sliced. (grin)

We're still working on leftovers here, but Mother is with me and so I've been trying things I think she might like. She always like zucchini, so I took one of the last few that have been hanging on and made Sol's zucchini pancakes:

Sure enough, she didn't like them, but Elery added a smear of cream cheese and used them to roll up some of the smoked salmon I bought at the meat market with Peppi. It was actually really good.

Mother had broccoli cheese soup from the local Subway, one of her favorites.

Annie

• neely
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

So nice Annie reading about your visit with Peppi, and I love all the food you cooked. Can’t eat tongue.... yep I just can’t get over the look of them in the butchers. I have Polish friends who introduced me to rouladen which are good and I love them with mashed beetroot with horseradish we eat with them.

So many delcious looking meals from everyone. I don’t mention it enough but really Sleevendog I am always in awe of the fresh healthy multiple ingredients you make your food with. Plus they look so good with a distinctive ’you’ look.

The craziness that is Covid continues here. My city is waiting till 70% of over 16 year olds are double vaccinated before ending this what seems like, endless lockdown. My hubby got a permit to visit our country get away and so now we are apart for a couple of weeks, which is different.

Back to WFD.

Meals are a little different just cooking for myself.. Soaked and cooked Cannellini beans, later cooked them with onion, garlic, mushrooms and spinach.

Also cooked a seafood spagetti with a rich tomato base sauce.

• Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    11 months ago

gardengrl66 z5 Welcome! Several of us also grow our own produce and I balance work and homeschooling our 12 year old son. I love to do fancy, but is only once in awhile for me, given everything else I have on my plate. We love to see what you are having for dinner, fancy or not!

Neely, Are you required to get a permit to travel to your other home?!?! I have an elderly cousin (she is 90) who is living by herself in Noosa, while her children and grandchildren are all in New Zealand. I worry about her being so isolated.

I am afraid, I can't eat tongue either. My parent's frequently served it when I was a child and made me stay at the table until I finished. I never got over my dislike of it.

WFD last night was a repeat of the Macadamia nut crusted fish I made last week. Last time I used sea bass from the fish market and I wanted to see if I could replicate with the frozen Costco tilapia we always have in the freezer. The short answer was yes, it is a good way to prepare the tilapia and no, it was nowhere as good as the sea bass.

• neely
    11 months ago

Lynda, my DH was required to get a permit to visit our holiday home. I wont be able to join him for a couple of weeks which is the estimated time it will take to get to get to the 70% fully vaccinated rate. Your elderly cousin being in Noosa is not in lockdown where she is but no one from another state or country can visit her. I guess she will have friends in her neighbourhood.

Strangely, my post only appears in Houzz and not in the old gardenweb format, or maybe it does for others.

• rob333 (zone 7a)
    11 months ago

Macadamia crusted cod, coconut rice, and tropical salsa.

• Jasdip
    11 months ago

I can see your posts fine Neely and I use Gardenweb. I too think it's weird that you and DH can't both travel to your other home.

GardenGal, nice to see you, I'm glad you dipped your toe in.

Annie what a nice visit with Peppi. Thanks for sharing it with us. Organ meats........a hard pass for me :)

Sleeve I don't always comment on your meals, but believe me, I'm in awe on your healthy and appetizing meals.

I had spaghetti with garlic cheese bread done in the air-fyer. I put the roll in a metal fish to keep it all contained and it worked perfectly. As if you don't know what spaghetti looks like LOL!

Original Author
    11 months ago

Perfect temps rewarded with another flush of zuccini flowers and fruits. Crispy fried bottom sides....egg and corn flour crust.

• neely
    11 months ago

Thanks for the feed back Jasdip. Strange, I still can’t see my last post in Gardenweb, but can see earlier ones. Thought your comment about spaghetti was funny, but still liked to see it anyway. WFD tragic that I am. We can only get a permit for a special reason to go into our country areas as they are free of Covid and we all want to keep it that way. DH applied because of maintenance due to heavy rain. I might be able to join him this week, fingers crossed.

Good looking meal there rob and I like the sound of the tropical salsa.

The zuccini flowers look yummy as they do whenever you cook them Sleevendog

So still solo cooking

Calamari and a bean salad

I roasted a tiny chicken with roast pumpkin and roast broccoli. The usual tomato, coriander and green onion on the side. The chicken leg was so small I went back for more

Original Author
    11 months ago

Roasting a chicken tomorrow. It's the season. Then stock and soup next week. You have reminded me to soak some beans...

I've been making nut/seed crusted fish lately. So good.

Last night was shrimp and merguez alla vodka sauce.

• pkramer60
    11 months ago

Annie, thank you for everything, including the love you both showed Emma. And the food/meals!

Yes, I bought 3 cow tongues for the freezer. Hated it as a kid, but now, I love it. I also came home with a 1/2 bushel of apples, tons of produce from Annie's garden.

Emma had a great time with Molly and stubby cat, playing hard, eating snacks, and just loving on Elery. She was so tired by Monday morning that she went back to bed and barked until I joined her. Once in the car, she slept in her car seat all the way home. I think she wants to go back to you, it is too quiet here.

Thanks again my friend!

• Jasdip
    11 months ago

This is our Thanksgiving and I had my meal today.

First time buying a Butterball as it's all the stores were selling this year. Not impressed, it smells very gamey. I'm not sure what to do with the leftovers. I'm not sure I should even make soup. I've been giving some chunks to Bud, my cat. He doesn't seem to mind it.

Anyway here's my dinner.

And pie for later

• John Liu
    11 months ago

Hey, is there a new wrinkle with the CF? I did a long post tonight about what DD’s been doing and eating in Marseille. But I don’t see it in the CF. The post exists, see below, but when I back out to the CF post list, it doesn’t appear.

• lizbeth-gardener
    11 months ago

John, I read your post earlier and was going to come back and see if you added a second post because the last paragraph didn't seem finished. Now the post seems to have disappeared.

• John Liu
    11 months ago

It was a series of posts. Hmm. I guess I’ll try again tonight.

Wait - the post is definitely here somewhere. I copied the URL https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/6186498/dd-s-in-marseille

and I can paste that into another browser tab and see and even edit the post. Try the link, see if you can view or comment on the post.

I seem to have discovered the secret ”non-indexed post” option!

Original Author
    11 months ago

It seems we take turns getting squirley threads that either flicker on and off or go away all together. I had one a few months ago during a road trip that i could see in a search but no others could see it in a link or search.

No, your link comes up totally blank. Bummer.

But your name is back.

• Jasdip
    11 months ago

I made a tettrazini out of some turkey leftovers.

Original Author
    11 months ago

Roasted a nice big organic bird. Now some stock and something tonight. Maybe a chicken salad kale caesar. Pasta sounds good but we have had lots of noodles lately.

• neely
    11 months ago

Still cooking solo but tomorrow I have a permit to join my husband for one night because he is my ‘intimate partner’ LOL. I swear if I get stopped by the police and I have to give the reason why I am driving in the countryside, I will burst out laughing.

I made some more beans and veg and had them with a piece of local fish called snapper which my son dropped off for me. Also red cabbage with sweet and sour Polish cucumber.

• thibeaultstable77
    11 months ago

So many wonderful meals.

Annie, so nice that you and Peppi could get together again.

Thanks for the reminder of Sol's zucchini pancakes. Haven't made them in a while and they are so good.

Jasdip, I love the look of your chicken legs and how you seasoned them. I have an air fryer setting on my new oven, but only used it once for chicken wings in the 8 months I've had it.

Rob, I might have to copy your macadamia crust and use it on halibut. I think that Moe would probably really like that preparation.

Neely, Your seafood spaghetti look delicious. And I was trying to figure out what to make Moe for dinner tonight . I'm working today but will pull some spot prawns out of the freezer. .

A few of our recent meals.

We had our Thanksgiving dinner a day late.. Presalted a small turkey, just under 8lbs a few days earlier and roasted it on high heat.

Traditional turkey dinner with all the sides.

Steak and Frites with mushrooms and a wine sauce.

Pan fried Halibut Piccata over spaghetti. I don't like capers so when I make anything Piccata I used green peppercorns.

Veal scaloppini with mushrooms, roasted potatoes and sauted broccolini with garlic and red pepper flakes.

Ham sandwich on homemade baguette.

Had a craving for ham.

More bread.

Coconut milk green chicken curry.

Original Author
    11 months ago

...because he is my ‘intimate partner’, 😂

Thank goodness it is not 'domestic needs' like cooking and cleaning.

I could survive on veg, grains, beans and seeds.

But that ham sandwich and steak frites....yum

Made stock, another batch of zuccini friters, lettuce wraps. Then last night made a chicken pot pie. Nice gravy from some of the stock.

Original Author
    11 months ago

Burger night

• neely
    11 months ago

Beautiful meals Anne and Sleevendog.

I took a few foods with me to visit DH including a carrot cake and some frozen prawns which I made into a stir fry for us.

Original Author
    11 months ago

That looks good. We have not been happy with our shrimp purchases for a few years. Finally have an excellent recent batch from WholeFoods. Wild caught gulf. Sent as a replacement for wild caught Atlantic.

Pasta night. Porcini meatballs that did not fall apart. I froze a batch for a favorite soup.

11 months ago

I am just getting back from a few days away to celebrate DH's 50th birthday. I'm enjoying catching up on so much great cooking!

I had to smile at Neely's permit to see her DH. I would have been extra careful the whole drive, so as to not have to show the permit. I still can't wrap my brain around needing a permit to visit your own property and DH.

We had hoped to do something more exciting to celebrate DH's milestone, but chose to stay closer to home. He prefers home cooked meals over going out, so it was a week of cooking his favorites and visiting wine country, which is glorious this time of year.

We used the delivery service to deliver to us before we left and took the fish with us. That worked surprisingly well. We order before midnight the day before and the fish is delivered at 2pm the next day, packed with ice in a cooler and left on our doorstep.

Local Big Eye Ahi

Scottish Salmon

The next night we had NY Steak with coined potatoes and asparagus.

We often visit this winery. On Saturdays and Sundays, they bring in a band and invite a food truck. Their property is huge, so plenty of room to spread out. The food truck served a great pulled pork sandwich.

Next meal was smoked spatchcocked chicken with orange, ginger nectarine sauce.

We found some beautiful tomatoes at the local farmer's market which made a great bruschetta.

For his mid week birthday, I reserved this 'private tasting cabin' at a winery we had never been to. The cabin was very cute, and they did a great tasting along with a charcuterie board and local olive oil.

Zac came with us

..and Garrett made friends with the winery cat

Dinner that night was duck a l'orange.

...and finally, Chicken Piccata and risotto from last night.

• thibeaultstable77
    11 months ago

Neely, nice that you were able to join your husband. He must have loved having you there. Are you able to stay for a while?

Lynda, You certainly know how to celebrate.

Zac is a handsome boy.

Last night's dinner. One of Moe's favourites.

I've been making this recipe for Chile Rellenos for almost 50 years.

Roasted the poblano peppers, and stuffed them with cheese, and made the sauce before leaving for work.

Matthew cooked the black beans for me so all I had to do when I got in from work was to make the egg batter and fry the rellenos and I made a fresh salsa to serve with the beans. Fried flour tortillas to make little baskets for the beans.

11 months ago

Those chile rellanos look really delicious.

We had fish tacos tonight. My last attempt at homemade tortillas was a flop, but tonight they were excellent. I used half corn and half freshly milled whole grain flour. I made my own masa from corn and the result was so flavorful, I may be done with store bought. Garrett gobbled them up, which is a win in my book.

We think the fish was sea bass, but don't really know. We purchased a 5 pounds for $20 value pack from the local fish market, which includes 1+ pounds of white fish, 1+ pounds of Ahi, 1+ pounds of salmon and 1+ pounds of their choice. We weren't sure what to expect, but so far so good.

Original Author
    11 months ago

Congrats on the tortilla success. Write down any success. I've had recent failures unknown the reason. I just froze two different packages in my recent delivery. (commercial) I made my own for a few years without incident.

We smoked short ribs, a brisket, two salmon filets, and a couple lamb mirguez sausages Sunday. Good meal choices for a few days.

So last night was smoked short ribs then braised in the oven. Had a nice tug on the bone, then fell apart clean after a rest--- on the plate.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    11 months ago

7 pound jerk leg of lamb.

• neely
    11 months ago

Well I am home alone again... was only supposed to stay one night in the countryside but was very naughty and stayed 5. We didn’t leave our property, had no contact with anyone. DH is still there doing work to our little place. We only bought it just before Covid arrived so these improvements were well overdue. The whole state is due to open up next week so I’ll go again then. There are things to look after at home at the moment, so good that one of us is here.

Good cooking everyone. Fawnridge (Ricky) l am guessing that lamb was tasty and juicy. Sleevedog, your short ribs meal looks very good. . Ann, I haven’t had the pleasure of eating Chilli Rellenos and yours sure look like they would be delicious. Lynda, all meals looking great as usual.

I tend to cook these bowl meals for just myself.

Chicken leg and various veg

Various beans, spinach and highlighted with preserved lemon, which I really like and so glad I got around to making another batch a couple of months ago.

• Jasdip
    11 months ago

I'm way behind. I've been eating, just nothing worth taking a pic, beyond my soup out of my turkey leftovers.

I love the pic of Zac, Lynda. And your meals look delicious. Congratulations on the success of your tortillas. I have the urge for a burrito, and I think I still have some tortillas in the freezer.

Neely, how nice to get away with hubs for a few days. I heard that Melbourne lifted the stay at home. Dunno if you're close to that area or not.

Good meals, as usual, Thibeault. I'm not familiar with your dish but it looks very tasty.

Sleeve, that's how I like ribs...that you have to pull it off the bone. Yours looks perfect.

Original Author
    11 months ago

My last few posts went poof so i'll just post last nights taco bar.

Warm corn tortillas under the lettuce wrapped in a towel. Smoked then braised brisket.

• annie1992
    11 months ago

Jasdip, you aren't as far behind as I am, LOL.

AnnT, as always, the halibut calls to me. Mmmm

Lynda, your sushi always looks good and Zak is a handsome guy. And so is the guy with the cat, LOL. A couple of handsome "guys" there in your post!

Neely, you are naughty. Good for you. Good girls seldom make history, my daughter tells me. I'm glad the restrictions are being lifted, though, so you don't have to sneak around to see your own husband. (grin)

Here it's been crazy. We have not even had a frost yet, it's about a month late, but I've been plugging along, hauling potatoes and squash into the garage (which I now have to move so Elery can put heating pellets there). I have a bucket of peppers to pickle and Bud just turned 16, so I baked a birthday cake. I got a shingles shot, a flu shot and a pneumonia shot all together yesterday and today I'm dragging, so I didn't can anything after I finished the cakes. I did chocolate cupcakes and a strawberry layer cake with strawberry filling, and made tires and cars out of Candy Melts and silicone molds. The party is tomorrow, so it's still intact for pictures:

Mother was here for 2 weeks, she just went home last week, so I made an apple pie from apples that Peppi and I bought. She decided she doesn't like apple pie anymore, so Elery was happy to finish it up:

Tonight we had a "farm to table" meal. We raised the chicken and the carrots and potatoes were from the garden:

The carrots were called "Cosmic". Red on the outside, orange in the middle. I scrubbed them instead of peeling to keep the red color:

I made butternut squash soup and twice baked potatoes for Mother, as well as some fresh brussels sprouts, cooked and buttered. No picture because the sprouts were ugly.

We had some cheese tortellini with homemade italian sausage along with some roasted vegetables. Elery liked the pasta a lot, I'm still not a fan. The Princess happily ate the leftovers, so I'm outvoted. :-)

While the Princess was here, she made some no bake oatmeal cookies because I had gluten free oatmeal and her Mother, the celiac, can eat them:

Another night we had chicken cutlets, Waldorf salad and mashed rutabaga:

OK, I know there was more, but I just don't remember. However, I was reading about the turkey shortage and I know why it's happening. All th

e turkeys have come to visit me, LOL:

Tomorrow I'll be making pulled pork and baked beans for Bud's party, but it'll be busy enough that I doubt there will be pictures...

Annie

• Jasdip
    11 months ago

Annie, What??? Your mom doesn't like apple pie anymore?? Who could ever dislike apple pie?? That's my fave, the only one I bake at all regularly. LOL

Bud is 16. Wow.

We got down to 1C last night....0C is 32, so just above freezing. I didn't see any frost on the cars but we've had heavy dew nightly.

Oh, I have to make twice-baked potatoes. I keep forgetting. I'll try them in my air-fryer.

Are you going to kill one of your wild turkeys for TG?

• annie1992
    11 months ago

Mom changes her mind about what she likes about every other day. (sigh) I gotta admit, though, apple pie is definitely not my favorite, I didn't eat any of it. I'm not really fond of apples at all. Strange, I know.

Nope, no wild turkey for Thanksgiving. First, they have very little meat, I'd have to have three or four to feed all my family, LOL. Second, they are actually smart and elusive, and I'd have to shoot one. And, of course, it isn't turkey season until spring and there's a BIG fine.

We had Bud's party today, so we had pulled pork on buns, au gratin potatoes, baked beans, BBQ chips and cake! 16. It's just hard to believe....

Annie

• Jasdip
    11 months ago

I made an apple crisp today so I'll be having it soon with some tea.

Dinner was air-fried potatoes, onions and carrots with baked goat cheese and spinach stuffed chicken breasts in the countertop oven.

11 months ago

Happy 16th Birthday to Bud! What a beautiful cake you made. I attempted to make a layer cake for DH's 50th, and broke one of the layers taking it out of the pan. It tasted delicious, but was far from what I was hoping for. We are planning a BBQ at a local park next month for Garrett's 13th birthday, so I am going to try again, but will also make a sheet cake just in case.

This was smoked tri tip from last week with air fried potato and asparagus. DH loves it as rare as can be and is enjoying using the wireless Meater probes, which tell us exactly when to take it out.

This was a whole grain durum loaf. It came out really well and was perfect to dip in EVOO.

Yesterday, I made a big batch of That green curry paste using up a lot of garden produce.

Our pomegranates ripened early this year, so DH has had his hands full with making wine. So far he has made two 5 gallon batches and we are waiting for the last few to be ready so we can make a third batch.

Original Author
    11 months ago

So busy you are with wine and projects.

Apples, meh, lol. We did so much with our trees in the past. Now i juice it with greens, ginger, beets, fresh fruit and anything i've got on hand. And freeze. I found some apple butter in the freezer in 1/2 pints. 2016.

I do dehydrate paper thin for granola but the best is freeze dried but the home freeze driers are expensive.

I made a batch of Vivian's LittleGreenDress. Love this stuff. With ramen eggs.

With pate and quick pickles.

Original Author
    11 months ago

I just ordered ButcherBox for the first time. Impressive packaging all compostable. I'm set for the holidays through Feb-March.

First order A free 12 pound turkey. Free shipping. Such a stress reliever if we visit my parents that seems enevitable at this point. They have to have turkey. A 12 pound pasture raised is perfect. My mothers turkey is traditionally horrid but it is most important being at home with them. I can foil her stress and bring a big meal she does not need to prepare.

Rock solid frozen. Flat pack big chunk of dry ice. Obviously i put most of it away before this pic...I hope the cod is better than i ordered last summer. Pork but will be BoSaam christmas day. Stew beef for chili...

• Jasdip
    11 months ago

Lynda, your DH's beef dinner looks fantastic. Beautifully done.

Sleeve your eggs on toast looks really good!

New recipe: chicken and orzo with spinach. I added some asparagus. It's a keeper

Original Author
    11 months ago

I did a couple cast iron stovetop meals. Sausage, peppers, onions and greens. Potatoes on the back burner for a future potato salad. So creamy i tossed a few in. An made a small batch pasta for another salad.

Last night i made another big shredded salad an two different humus---zesty green and spicy. Seared the rest of the sausage with peppers and onions with humus and corn tortillas.

• foodonastump
    11 months ago

96… Joining late I won’t even attempt to comment on the meals. Perhaps the pets instead? Beautiful Aussies, the princess looks like a princess no matter what anyone says, and I just love Zac’s coat. Handsome dog. Did I get them all?

Inspired by Peppi’s visit I made Rouladen tonight. And Rotkraut and Bratwurst and pretzels. Had mom over for ”Oktoberfest”; overdue for having her over plus I need her to watch my dog this weekend. 😉

Original Author
    11 months ago

'Garbage' plate. Our favorite 'what-is-in-the-crisper' meal.

• Jasdip
    11 months ago

FOAS I love red cabbage!!! I make sure I order that as my side when going to my favourite schnitzel restaurant. Your pretzels.....did you make them??? Tell me you didn't.

11 months ago

Post 100!

FOAS, as you can tell I am a dog person!! Love your Octoberfest meal. We went out the other day and shared a sausage platter and some pretzels in honor as well. As Zac was with us, we ate outside with him under the table. The waitress commented on his self control as platters of sausages were passed by him (we never feed at the table) and brought him an entire to-go portion of sliced meats. He was one happy dog!

Sleeve, I love all those vegetables. You definitely inspire me to add more to my cooking. I took a look at butcher box. I really like the convenience of having things delivered and how you can customize your box, but the prices are a lot higher than we can buy locally. I can imagine that the shipping costs add up. I am on the fence, but may give them a try if local quality or supply diminishes.

Jasdip, your cast iron chicken looks delicious and healthy.

My schedule is slowing down and will thankfully stay low until the end of the year. So, I am back to cooking more.

I made this baklava for Garrett's Halloween party today. It is his favorite and we got to have the extra pieces for dessert last night.

We also had one of the best lamb roasts we have ever made a few nights ago. I forgot to photograph it. We've been using the wireless probes and an App which tells us exactly how long to cook for our desired level of doneness. I hadn't thought we needed to step it up, but apparently we did. I've noticed that it tells us to take it out of the oven before it hits the target temperature and then rest while the internal temperature continues to rise. We served it with a freshly made mint sauce. Yum!

Last night was more sushi, in honor of the last homegrown cucumber of the season. This was Ahi from Hawaii and Ocean Trout from Scotland. The free delivery is a game changer for us, making it easy to have for a mid week dinner. I worked all day, but had the fish delivered at 5pm and we were eating dinner by 6pm.

Original Author
    11 months ago

I swear i saw Lynda posted sushi. That has happened to me so often lately. Post, then zip-gone. It does take some time, then gone.

11 months ago

Guilty as charged! I did edit it about an hour a go, so maybe that is why you couldn't see it.

• neely
    11 months ago

Love those rouladen FOAS.

Back with DH at our vacation home. Good to be sharing the cooking for us both again.

Pork fillet with salad, potatoes, cooked chopped apple as a garnish.

The cupboards are bare because he has hardly been off the property. I’ll do a big shop tomorrow.

• foodonastump
    11 months ago

Jasdip - I love red cabbage, too. I’ve found that I’m happiest with a simple recipe, others I’ve tried are overspiced for my taste. Cabbage, onion, apple, allspice, S&P, balsamic. I finish with white wine vinegar if it needs more sour.

Pretzels are Alton Brown’s recipe. We love them but I reduce the baking soda in the bath, found it overpowering full strength.