SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8029771

Help with kitchen

User
10 years ago
I am in need of help with re decorating my kitchen. I am on a budget and my idea is to paint the kitchen all white including cabinets and shelves. The brown chairs in the pictures will be going as they are to big for the area and the metal chairs will stay along side another 4 multi coloured metal ones to come. With the shelving my idea was keeping is simple my having white only dinnerware ect.... Thoughts?....

Comments (507)

• PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Artwork is so much better than baskets on the wall. Your photos of flowers are lovely and would work very well. If you have access to Photoshop, you could experiment with different filters for these images. It is really fun and the results can be stunning! You could frame them in such a way that you could slip another series in the frames for a change. -

The drawings need more color for that grouping. Think about a color for the matts and frames. A little bit more contemporary and you could use colors that are wild or more conservative, in the framing. So happy that you are considering your own artwork for this room, along with other rooms in your home.

Unlike oldroo, I am not familiar with your other pieces. Have you tried any of them in this spot in the kitchen? Just bringing them in there would help you decide on palette, subject matter, size, etc.

I do respectfully and humbly disagree with oldroo re: an "ocean" subject not working in the kitchen . . . you absolutely get to hang anything on that wall that pleases you & your hubby.
    If you say it works, that's that! Try it - lean it up there - you just never know until you do and then this bit will be settled. Try lots of things you have around the house and learn!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I won't bite your head off Sandy, what do you think of the circles and swirls? If you scroll waaaaaay back you will see her lounge room artwork. I will see if I can find the bathroom link.

If you study the lounge room photos too, you will see a bit of a tribal theme in the colours and paintings that Shondelle was keen to keep flowing through the house. That is why I keep bringing her back to that and the orange.
  • Related Discussions

TABLE height kitchen island?? what?? help finalizing kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (110)
    Here is a mockup of an idea for your dining room and living room flip. Obviously, the final placement of the various pieces would depend on their size and necessary clearances/aisles, but this is the basic idea. You only really have two walls where the TV could go, so there aren't a whole lot of options. The orientation I chose makes the wood-burning stove a focus point, which I think is nice. I added a large coffee table between couch and loveseat, assumed a flat screen TV on the wall and added a rectangle in the new dining area to indicate a piece of furniture that could be anything, really (china cabinet, sideboard, bookcase, etc.). As for the kitchen, I went back to the open plan for this drawing. As you can see, having the dining area in the new location makes the seating in the kitchen somewhat redundant, although with kids I'm sure it will be useful. However, I agree with 3littlelights and others that this "open" plan still has you facing away from the open space for most of your kitchen tasks and is therefore not really accomplishing what you want it to accomplish. The layout of the sink, stove and fridge is also extremely awkward. What are the exact measurements of the wall with the sink on it? I know you said the windows were 72x36, but how much wall space is there between them and how much wall at either end? If there is no way to put the fridge on the same wall as the sink, then perhaps something like the plan below would work. It doesn't disguise the posts in any way, but it does give you a vastly better workflow and lets you face the open room while you are working at the sink (you'd want to move the dishwasher to the other side of the sink so it wasn't directly across from the oven).
    ...See More

Help with kitchen knob colour in white kitchen, want to get it right

Q

Comments (6)
    Hey M K, it would all be up to personal preference. I agree with shopping37 you have stainless appliances which nickel works well with so i think you could make it work in your kitchen. I do personally feel like a matching gold hardware would give a cleaner more put together look but if you really like the idea of mixing or don't really have a choice you could definitely get away with it in your space. Also, i am swooning over your light fixtures they are just the coolest things!!! if your still looking around for hardware options you should check out Century Hardware. Congratulations on the new kitchen!
    ...See More

Help with Kitchen Layout- Small Original(?) Kitchen in 1930's Cottage

Q

Comments (2)
    New proposed layout. I did a mock up in in the IKEA home planner but it will most likely use a local cabinet company.
    ...See More

Paint help - kitchen cabinets: monotone kitchen?

Q

Comments (9)
    Here is the spot on their website where I am getting the information: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7015-reposegray Pavestone, Coral Clay and Eider White are shown as complementary colors to Repose Gray. That doesn't mean Eider White is necessarily a lighter shade of Repose Gray. That's why I said either Eider White or Repose Gray cut 50% might work for you. Where it shows 244 - Repose Gray it shows gradients of the color, getting darker. Mindful Gray is the next darker one. However, once again, I can't be sure that Mindful Gray actually is Repose Gray darker. Someone at the store who can see the formulas should be able to tell you that. While I have had paint colors cut back 50% to get what I wanted, I don't know if it works in the opposite direction - can they increase the tint 50%? Probably, but you would have to ask someone at the store.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Funny you say about the 70s, I am a fan of the prints of the 60s and 70s! I have collect a lot of material from op shops from those eras and my mother in law always talks about one of my retro long paisley dresses saying how she had one identical when she was young :) I do like that print to and the colours, style, and pattern really suits the theme. What if I also make the pattern go length ways?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes I can see a tribal/tropical theme happening! I can def see what both of you are saying and I would like the house to be somewhat cohesive and I agree I would like to bring my own artwork in and personality! I am very cultured, alternative person and have graduated as a fine artist from the university school of art which I am looking to do honours ether soon or in the future. I like all things relaxing but simple and also welcoming...so if you can put that into my house then it might help with artworks and room arrangements. Roo speaking of the beach painting...what do you think of it in the hallway of my house because I am really not sure?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also the circle retro print reminds me of something you may see in a scandinavian kitchen.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If I was to use these pattern how could I arrange them? Should I frame them separately? Or paint them on one big canvas? Or separate small canvas? How big?
  • silk789
    10 years ago
    Sandy just wanting to know where to get this pic from please?
  • motherto2
    10 years ago
    Shondelle, I've enjoyed reading and seeing the evolution of your kitchen this evening. Could I make some suggestions? I had to laugh because I was thinking of things you should do, and then someone would mention it a few posts later! I was thinking of the banquet seat, and lo and behold, there it is! But I have to say, I haven't been a fan of any of the pillows or cushions you have used. I think you need something just a little more tailored so that the cushions actually don't draw the attention to them. I was noticing your sofas are tailored and tufted. Why not do one long cushion for the seat, with the tufting, and then a small (not overwhelming) thin cushion attached to the wall in the same fabric with tufting. It will give your look a bit more sophistication that works to bring your two rooms together. I would stay in a one color fabric. Then maybe a couple of small pillows if you still want the whimsy. But the pillows need to be a little firmer. I also thought it would be a neat idea to put one of those plate shelves over top of the cushion. I'm not sure of the correct term for it, but I've seen it numerous times where it's higher in the wall. Then you could lean several of your pictures against the wall, and you can change them out for seasons, different colors, etc. and not worry about holes in your wall. BTW, I loved the baskets when you had them on your shelves. I think you need something more substantial on your table. Think a large glass bowl with maybe some sea glass and a tall battery operated candle in it. I'm not much of a fan of the numerous candles that are half burned look on the table (sorry!). I also like the gray chair (are you going to get another one?). I also like the idea of a light over the table. I think one of those that are rectangular in shape would be a great idea. Helps to define your space and mirrors your table for a little symmetry. I'm so glad you and your husband decided against redoing your cabinetry. Your kitchen is one of a kind.

I love the painted cabinets and floating shelves. They really have made your room look so much more custom! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I need to find your other threads....
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Motherto2 you must read my mind, haha. Everything you said I have thought about in the past couple of days. My husband mentioned to me not long ago about a shelf over the cushion/seating and I have leaned toward it more and more and I think it will bring the space more together, also your suggestion with a light over the table is ideal! I love the baskets on the shelf to and I am moving them back because I miss them sitting on the shelf when I entered the room. I agree with a more tailored seating and the one colour fabric with tufting is a great idea as it will tie in with the living room sofas. I love your table idea of a big glass bowl with sea grass and battery operated candle, any ideas as to the size and shape of bowl?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/discussions/541793
    This is the thread to my loungeroom
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/discussions/579939
    This is the thread to my bathroom
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Morning Shondelle. I just want to take you back to the beginning here to ensure we are still on the same wavelength. I know how easy it is to be side tracked by seeing something you love but that may not fit into the original scheme of things. In the lounge room planning days you expressed your desire for the tribal/tropical theme and you were happy the room had that vibe and were desirous of keeping it and the colours flowing through your home. This is what I have been trying to focus on for you and not having the same emotional attachment to your home as you do, helps me to try to keep you on this original path ............... if you still want that. We continued it through into the bathroom, and now are trying to carry it into the kitchen.

This does not mean that you can't side track into other themes, I do like a surprise element from time to time and this is where your ocean painting can fit in, especially when it continues colours and being a nature theme it is not that far divorced from the tropical one.

As an alternative person, I feel the tribal theme fits your personality very well and using your paintings (which are very impressive) certainly gives a cultural feel. If I were to walk into your home, I would expect the unexpected, I would be looking for you to surprise me and you can only do that by following your heart and not your head. The heart will tell me who you are, the head will just deal with practicality and the feasibility of what you do. This is why I suggested you take some time out to go back to you, what you want to achieve and refocus.

As far as welcoming goes, I believe that will come from your personality injected into your home. People who want to be around you and enjoy your company will feel that and feel comfortable and at ease. I have a friend who had a decorator fully do her home, it is absolutely beautiful, colours flow, proportions are correct, she loves it, everyone admires it, but she feels SHE is missing from it. We can give you ideas, suggestions and opinions till the cows come home - only you can make them yours. I would hate to think of you 1 year from now looking at something, hating it, and thinking "damn roo, I wish I hadn't have listened to her".

To me your beach painting needs to be on a wall where it will have impact. In a hallway, it needs to be opposite an entry door so you can stand and take it all in. On a side wall, you are not going to be able to do that and the effect of it will be lost. It has a lot of drama in it too and that can only be appreciated looking at it direct. Maybe putting it above the orange chair, (if it fits) would be a better position from what I can see in the photo. Otherwise, would you really like it in your kitchen? The colours are perfect. The only thing is do you want that drama in the kitchen.

Have to dash off to a meeting - catch up later.
  • siobhanclare
    10 years ago
    LOVE the bones of this original kitchen especially the cabinets and sink. It is a true Bungalow Kitchen (as in the book). Perhaps it's been so long now that it is completly changed, but I hope not much....
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thankyou heaps roo, you are the best! Always know what to say to me :) you are 100% correct I really want to keep with the tribal/tropical theme as that is closest to who I am. It's scary to know how well you know me just though houzz :) I am so glad I have met people like yourself roo! I guess I am having trouble with the kitchen because it isn't big but that particular wall is big so I don't want the room to look small but I want something good on that wall that ties into the theme. I agree about the beach painting. I will see if it will fit where the orange chair is. If it doesn't I will try the wall opposite the bathroom. If that doesn't work my husband and I are remodelling our garage into a rumpus room!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I know what you mean by rushing off I have to go babysit my nephew, just got a phone call, haha.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/52591
    I didn't mind the different circles on here, I love the colours.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/35128
    I found this roo on my research journey. You can see on the wall circle images, similar to the ones I found.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh I am so silly roo! I have small versions (series) of paintings that are to the paintings in the living room. I would have to frame these ones but I will send through a picture of them.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Ooooh, someone has changed the font while I wasn't looking.

Why am I not surprised, you really make me laugh. Look forward to them.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    See this is what happens when I finally clean the garage, haha.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I didn't think it was possible for you to have anything left. I'm still liking those circles but will wait till I see your pictures. What size are they?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the circles too, they are ether a4 or a3 so we will see what they are like first and if it is a no then we will go back to the circles :)
  • motherto2
    10 years ago
    here are some more. I love the glass bowl 4 (punch bowl is cool too, minus the ladle :0) )
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    MT2 - welcome to our chat here, you have some great ideas, I love that plain glass, it is so simple and elegant. However, Shondelle isn't allowed to buy anything new, she has a stash like you wouldn't believe. :))

Shondelle, if you don't use the circles in the kitchen, I was thinking of them down the hallway, something about a 50cm square, maybe smaller, depending on how much wall space you have. But then that would depend too on where your ocean painting ended up. If the painting fitted and looked ok with the orange chair you I think you could still put the circles where the painting is now.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yeah sorry mt2 I am forbidden from buying anything...however in roo's suprise I do have that exact glass jar like the first pic, little pebble rocks and white pillar candle, haha! So that option still stands :) roo - you seriously amaze me! I had never thought of the circles out in the hallway! What a fantastic idea, I love love love it! Painting went down last night and circles are def going there! I love the circle too I think they are so interesting.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If the painting fits where the orange chair is then I believe the circles would look great on the other wall :) on small square individual canvases or still small individual squares but framed?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Somehow try to imagine them straight and cut down to the same size height ways. Even put together to make one long image.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    No comment - Roo didn't get any sleep last night and her head is spinning enough as it is.

Is where you had the ocean painting the only wall space you have? I'm not sure what is behind your desk and the other side of it. I think for a hallway, the circles should be side by side for best impact. I am really into the clean look of canvases at the moment and in your case here, would give you more versatility for the size you choose. Photo frames don't have as much variety unless you make your own.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry about the picture taking. These are botanical images using oil and ink. They are a4 and joined together as a idea! The same as what I would do with the previous paintings
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These are photographs of materials I have collected over the years.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I would put the 3 middle ones together - the other two are too different - but I am worried if they were cut down to the size of the smallest one, they won't be big enough for the space.

You will have to help me here, you are in the room. What if you were to get a piece of MDF, paint it black and then put those three paintings on it like tiles. Maybe lay them on your table to give you an idea of just how big you could make it, it can't be too small, in fact I think the table top could be a perfect size, it just comes down to how to make the paintings work.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Next to the study area is a small hallway the goes to the toilet and bathroom. Unfortunately the painting is too big for above the orange chair. Sorry to hear that you haven't had much sleep, I hope you get some rest soon :)
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If only I didn't give the real finished paintings to my mother because she won't give them back! The three you just picked are the ones she has...:( . I like the idea of using the table as a template for size. I will paint a mdf board black and see how it goes.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I'm so jealous, those flowers are divine!!! On that wall though, they are just not making enough of a statement.

Focus woman!! Those first 3 are exactly what you want for the room - the colours are perfect, you want the orange, and they carry the lounge room theme through, which is what you also want.

How to hang them for full impact is now the issue.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    We mothers are mean people!!! I don't blame her for not wanting to part with them though, they are pretty amazing.

Use your table to plan before you start painting, I hate to give you work to do if it doesn't turn out right.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Haha I couldn't take them away from her, she says it is a part of me still there :) I like work roo...bring it on! Yes I will arrange them on the table first then once I have done that I will paint the mdf board. Yes I love the flowers but I would have to find a nice sunny spot for them or a room with big windows, haha.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Oh, rats about the ocean painting. Back to the drawing boards with the hall. I will think about it tomorrow. I have discovered I must not drink green tea at bedtime, I didn't realise it had caffeine in it, it will be back to the camomile tonight.

I will leave you to think about the kitchen - I need a nap.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have begun messing around with my smaller paintings against black and I like what I am seeing so far. Thoughts?
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I figured the black would make them sing. I just love the earthiness of them and the colours are perfect. Now you have to look at size and proportion on the wall. I think you are going to need something larger, but I'm not in the room to tell. The subject matter of the paintings makes them very dominant so you don't want them to take over the room but I feel you need to create something large enough to make a statement - if that makes sense.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    When you say larger do you mean as large as the paintings in the living room? I do have a piece of mdf board that is around about the same size as the black table. If I paint that black as you suggested previously and put that in the wall and then arrange the paintings on top of that then I will be able to make a decision. I love the earthiness of them too :)
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry don't mean put the mdf in the wall, to put it up on to the wall.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    It's ok, I speak the same language, I have uncontrollable fingers too. Like I said you are in the room, picture the table on the wall - how does it look for size or is it too much. Maybe you only need it as wide and can reduce the height a bit. Just thinking how you will then arrange the pictures.
  • Sheena Garner
    10 years ago
    There is something really charming about your kitchen. The tall cabinet -is that used as a pantry? You could replace with an armoire and that would look nice! Maybe from craigslist ? I'm thinking less modern than the current one. There are a lot of things you could do with it.
  • jac24
    10 years ago
    In keeping with the tropical theme would u consider using a tropical forest wallpaper? That wold really make the orange pop major :-) haven't been on here muchbut ur kitchen looks incredible! Well done!
  • jac24
    10 years ago
    Just a couple of examples. I thought the last two would fit with ur love of retro while maintaining the look
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry about quality
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oops put that picture in wrong discussion
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    10 years ago
    We would love to help in any way with the entire remodeling process of your kitchen. Call us today!
Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz