SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

School lunches

Kathsgrdn
2 years ago

Listened to a podcast yesterday on the way to work about school lunches. A woman had written a book about people's experiences growing up and their lunches. It made me think about my school lunches growing up.

The earliest I remember was first grade in San Pedro. My dad had to rent a house in another school district than the one we ended up in because we had to wait on base housing to open up. The only school lunch I remember getting was greasy chicken in a paper bag. And not good chicken like my mom made but that horrible shake n bake type coating. When we finally moved to base housing I alternated between school lunches and lunch brought from home. I don't remember what they served us at school or what I brought from home, but I do remember my lunch box. I had a Cinderella, metal box with a magnetized game on the back.

School lunches when we moved to Nevada when I was 9, I can remember a little more. The food was pretty good and I miss the square, Friday pizza with chocolate milk. Also there was rice, ground beef and gravy that was really good. I've actually tried to duplicate it at home and can't. I don't remember any other meals, though.

I don't remember Jr. High meals either. In High school we didn't have a cafeteria and by then my dad had retired and bought a house about a block from the school. I was able to walk home from school to eat.

I thought it would be interesting to hear about your experiences growing up, especially those who grew up in other countries or different decades. I know our school lunches in the town I live in now are horrible. I've eaten them years ago with my kids, a couple times. Only the current foreign exchange kids I have think they are okay. The others hated our school lunches.

Comments (49)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville