High School courses . . .
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (99)
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Mac for a high school student?
Comments (5)Within a couple months of your niece's acquisition of the Mac (assuming OS-X) you'll be considering converting your entire household. It isn't a "plunge"....it's a massage/jacuzzi/etc....with a happy ending. I'm biased. I switched three years ago after decades with PC/windows. Changed my computer-life entirely.....from wasting mega-time maintaing the stupid box and OS to forgetting all that crappola and actually getting things done. Thing just sits here and runs. First box I've owned since 1985 that actually does that -- and nothing else. Yup...I'm very biased....See MoreWhat subjects intrigued you in high school?
Comments (46)My favorites were Business Law (thought I wanted to be a lawyer at one time)and Business Mgmt. Even liked Accounting. Typing was what I use most now! I was in FBLA Future Business Leaders of America. Sociology was also interesting, but most people took it for an easy A. I got good grades all through high school, but I hated math Alegbra 2/Trig and sciences classes! I remember Psychology was offered my senior year and now I wish I had taken it as I loved it in college! My mom made me take Latin! I protested, since I already finished 3 years of Spanish, but now I understand why she wanted me to learn. Taking Latin first would have helped immensely with Spanish! I can't say I loved it, but it came in handy around SAT time! And it is the root of so many words (Legal/Medical fields) My 2nd year Latin Teacher was wonderful!! She was the kind that if you didn't do your homework, you felt like she was personally offeneded! And you definitely did not want to hurt her feelings! She cared about the kids doing well. She had cancer before she was my teacher, and it went into remission. I heard recently that it came back and she passed away-how sad!! The school lost an awesome lady that day! She was so loving and brave! There weren't many teachers that I felt cared so much about their kids! My Spanish teacher was a hysterical little man! He was quite short, so literally little. He was strict, made us recite oral presentations in front of the class (all in Spanish of course), so woe be to you if you weren't prepared, but he used to make up funny stories about living in a cave in Spain with his pirahnas. I think he did them to see if we were paying attention lol! And to this day I'll always remember how to say-Take out your homework and Do you have gum in your mouth?? Very useful, no? lol...See MoreIn High School What Were Your Very Best Subjects?
Comments (34)This will be a bit long, but I think everyone here will appreciate the story. The course I excelled in was one that males weren't allowed to take. I became a ground breaker when I was finally allowed to take the course and paved the way for other male students. I wanted to take Home Ec (actually it was cooking, but they didn't call it that then) in my sophomore year, 1963. When I told the counselor I was told "males can't take that course, you need to take some type of shop". When I asked why, I got the answer "because home ec is only girls". Sooo, I went first in mechanical drawing which I promptly withdrew from after pinning the instructors shirt sleeve to my board with my compass. His sleeve naturally ripped off when he was walking away. This time mom came with me (she was catering at that time and thought I should be allowed to take the course)and was handed the same line. So off to wood working I went. I lasted all of two weeks before I sent back to the counselor's office. Reason? I kept breaking the stupid saw blades. Once again mom and I make the trip and again meet the same stupid reason. O.K. electrical shop it is. To this day, I have the dubious distinction of being the only student ever to blow the entire electrical system in the school. Don't ask me how I managed that (I think the system was actually faulty and my overloading one of the outlets was the real reason it blew) but you should have seen the counselors face when mom and I went into his office. His response? "He can take ANYTHING he wants Mrs. K as long as it's not a shop." So I spent my last three years in home ec and maintained a straight A average. I did have a couple of the gals who tried to make it rough for me, but the instructor brought that to a screeching halt. I graduated in 1966 and was so upset when Mrs. D called me into her office shortly before graduation and handed me a thick package. It contained a scholarship to the chef's school in Chicago. What she didn't know was that I had enlisted in the Navy and this being 1966, there was no way out of that contract. I never did make it my career (the military wound up being my choice and a good one) but still enjoy cooking especially when we have a party. Thanks mom and Mrs. D for being pioneers in your own right too....See MoreBoarding school beyond high school?
Comments (2)A friend of mine has a son with learning disabilities. He went to a special high school and once he graduated he went to a college that has special programs for kids like him. No uniform, though. I don't know the name, I just remember it is in Florida. But there were several schools they looked at. I would think a high school guidance counselor could help you, or even a local organization that helps parents advocate for their kids. Why does it need to have uniforms? If that is really important I think you will be greatly limiting your choices....See More- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDES11 Spaces That Aced High School
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. But who knew high school influenced interior designs too?
Full Story
MY HOUZZMy Houzz: Leafy, Light-Filled Loft in a Historic Former High School
A creative couple lives among the trees in a converted condo that was once filled with students
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESClash Course: Pile High, Lean Low
Forget the walls. For a truly original and exciting artistic display, turn your attention to styling the floors
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: A Loving Remodel for High-School Sweethearts
Ellie and Michael Mroz return to their hometown of Westfield, N.J., and design their dream home
Full Story
HOME TECHIf ‘High-Def’ TV Isn’t High Enough, Maybe You Need Ultra-HD
The ultra-luxury next generation of TV, called Ultra-HD, is finally here. And so is the first content, if you know where to look
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES9 Dorm Room Classics Schooled in Grown-Up Style
Furniture, shelves and lighting from college years past make for high-grade interiors with a bright future
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESAlphabet Decor Spells High Style for Rooms
Letters in artwork, on wallpaper and even woven into rugs show that you're well versed in design. Word up
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow High Should You Mount Your TV?
Today we look at an important question to consider when locating your television: How high should you set it?
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDecorate With Intention: A Crash Course in Feng Shui
Designing according to ancient principles may do more than put your home in balance — it may enhance your life
Full Story
ECLECTIC HOMESHouzz Tour: Family-Friendly Apartment in a Converted School
A reconfigured London home goes from cool couple’s hangout to fun family home
Full Story
mdln