SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

What -seedbank- had amazed you even when you have stopped planting

a1an
2 years ago

I planted Vinca Cora's in my Flowerbed 4-5 years ago . It was a full on masse of them. The following year and the year after that, I did not plant them, but I was getting Vinca sproutings here there and everywhere. I was plucking them out like weeds whenever I saw them. Now bear in mind, the beds see winter winds, mulch/soil is turned over by the mere act of planting and I have no idea how or why , but the Vinca seeds find a way to survive in all of this.

Fast forward 5 years later. I have one Vinca Cora that once again has sprouted from whatever seedbank it has left in my soil and I'm just blown away that between the winds, the movement of everything that happens on the beds, all 4 seasons of weather 5 freaking years later, and it's still germinating and growing from the seedback deposited 5 years ago. This is the only Vinca's I haven't pulled as I want to test and see how much of a seedbank it will produce in that area for next year.

Ha, I wish my lawn turf would do the same and be just as regenerating as these pesky Vinca's.

Comment (1)