SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deniset15

Opinions on a variety of bathroom decisions....

Denise Tokarz
2 years ago

Haven't posted on here in a while but here goes.... We're updating the master bathroom, likely selling the home at some point in the not too distant future. We're in the Atlanta area had have lived here for about 25 years. Not sure what the next step is but this is the last of the major renovations, having updated the kitchen, hardwood floors and carpeting.

Would love a few comments on the following:

1. Polished or honed marble? My tile installer suggested I look at porcelain, but it seems to me that marble is nicer for a master bath. I was sure I wanted honed, but am now thinking I'm going with polished marble. Found some really nice stuff at a local Floor & Decor (I had some really pretty stuff at at great price from a local stone supplier, but I think I like the pattern in the F&D marble even better.) The honed only comes in 18 x 18 square, so I'm planning on that for the floor to save someone (me?) from slipping on a possibly wet floor. The polished comes in 12 x 24 and I was planning on that for shower and jacuzzi surround (and yes, we finally decided in the end to keep the jetted tub.)

I've had matte tiles on there for years, not sure if the polished is going to drive me crazy with reflections or not -- it will depend on where you are in the bathroom. There are two large square windows over head, so the room gets a decent amount of light. If I go honed-only, then I either have to pick new stuff or use the 18 x 18, but then there is NO reflection, it doesn't even seem like a matte reflection.

Once the polished marble is sealed, do I have to worry about much else? Scratches or special things to clean it with? I've had carrara marble in my kitchen for the past 5 years and, while I was a nervous wreck to take the leap, I absolutely love it! It's honed but still has a bit of a shine to it, possibly from use or the sealer?

Is there a way to take down the shine on a polished marble without taking all of the tiles to someone to do that.... would something like light steel wool do it? Would a sealer take away some of the high shine? And in some lights the surface looks like it has water marks on it, but that's the "crystalline" look of the underlying stone (sorry, no pics at the moment.) If you can understand what that is, is that normal?

2. Shower size -- Tub and shower are all on one wall, looking left to right. We were thinking of leaving the surround on the jetted tub and moving the current shower wall to the left, to make the shower wall come up against where your head would be in the jacuzzi, essentially creating a bench in the shower. While this will not increase the shower footprint, it will "feel" bigger, because the shower wall will be further away, closer to the jetted tub. Hope that makes sense.

The other option was cut into the box that holds the jetted tub and increase the footprint of the shower. It's the more expensive way to go to gain about 9-10" of space on the shower floor.

3. To niche or not to niche? We now have a shampoo niche in the shower and we were thinking of taking it out and putting the corner shelf tiles instead to house shampoo, etc. (of which there is a ton, for two people!) The niche just collects water and gets junky, but maybe that will resolve itself with a new tiler that will tilt it properly, I don't know. I've heard several times from tile and designer types that "people love the niches" so maybe this should stay? I'm trying to get a clean look but have to admit it's useful to have it there (sits between faucet head and the handle.) The excess hair care and body products could always sit on the "bench"/tub surround if we go that route, above. The niche could also be a place to put some nice accent tiles for design purposes.

Sorry for the long post, lots bouncing around in my head! Thank you for feedback!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!