SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vbnagle

What to hang on either side of rattan mirror at beach?

Val Nagle
2 years ago

Hi! I recently bought a 35" rattan mirror to go at the end of the hallway at my beach house. The wall where I hung the mirror is 90" so I have about 27.5" on either side of the mirror. This wall is visible as you enter the "bedroom wing' of my house. To the right is a guest room, to the left is the open dining/kitchen/family room. When I exit the master/primary suite, this is the wall I see. I do not have a table underneath because I don't want to block the doorway to the guest bedroom. I may add a plant to the left in the corner. See first 2 pictures.

My questions are: What size pictures should I hang on either side of the mirror? I want things to be the right proportion with the right spacing. That leads me to my next question...how much space do I allow between the mirror and prints? I've read that a hand (with fingers closed) is a good rule of thumb. Also that the center of the mirror and the prints should line up. Last question...what are your thoughts on canvas wrapped prints vs. matted framed prints?

I first saw this mirror in a local furniture store and loved it (last picture). I liked the grouping with the mirror and the prints and thought it would look nice and add some interest and color at the end of my hallway. One thing I did NOT like with the grouping at the furniture store was I thought the prints were too big in proportion to the mirror and with all the items on the dress.

I appreciate any advice on size and spacing. Thanks so much!

Comments (19)