SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_340353937

New Quartz Counter Issues

Evan
2 years ago

For a kitchen remodel, our design firm used a well rated counter top supplier. When we chose our quartz (a white marble design), the counter company rep told us our budget only allowed us to get 'their' brand and didn't even allow room to get LG's version. It looked nice and she promised the quality was the same as the name brands...but then went into resin ratio being a poor indicator of quality...which should have been our hint to run. We were told we weren't choosing OUR slab, as we were still a month off from counter install. But that time never came, as we were told randomly one day by our design firm, "Your counters will be in tomorrow." When asked about choosing our slab, our designer said that's not done for quartz since "they're all basically the same, unlike granite."

The counter company's 'brand' turned out to be a generic slab from India sourced through a local supply company, with no warranty. The counter company rep was adamant that they stand behind their product from defects and said we'd be happy.

Turns out that wasn't the case. We noticed chips (either from manufacturing, transport or renovation work) and imperfections (red dots/stains, seam filler that quickly discolored to a rust colored tone) in our counters, mainly in the piece the makes up our peninsula.

Initially to try to fix the grout on the cheap (and after the counter company told him they use Bar Keeper's Friend), our designer destroyed the seam with Bar Keepers Friend Soft Scrub, causing an extremely dulled finish. The counter company then sent out a third party to 'fix' all issues. The 'fix' was to drill out both the red dot stain and chip with a Dremel and put clear glue in each hole, neither of which look good (can still see the imperfections) or, more importantly, feel smooth like the rest of the counter. For the seam fill, the repair guy chipped out the old filler and filled it with stark white epoxy...which doesn't match the counters. I asked him before he left about the dullness of the seam cause by our designer, and he said it can't be fixed. And he said the epoxy would 'change color' to match eventually. Magic epoxy, apparently.

So my questions are:

- Any pros out there ever fix a manufacturing stain by gouging a hole into quartz and filling it with glue?

- The glue doesn't have the polished look or feel, and the imperfections can still be seen and felt. Is that the 'expectation' with that type of fix?

- I have asked for the peninsula slab to be completely replaced, again because none of these issues are our doing so I fail to see why we should have to live with these damaged items. Is that going too far?

Thanks for any help. This entire renovation has been a NIGHTMARE Of Errors, and I plan to share once it's completed.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting