SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Stairway lighting sizing help & suggestions

piscesgirl
2 years ago

Our home is a center hall colonial design and we want to place a chandelier in our small hallway. For the time being we had our contractor place a small lantern light we had in the stairway but it looks way too small.

Our stairway is 6' wide and 10'2" deep (13'2" deep if you include the upstairs hallway). There is 12.5' in height from the landing to the ceiling.

I have seen several similar homes with sphere type chandeliers that are 24" round, so thinking something about that size would look appropriate but we don't want to do a sphere light. Looking for something Transitional (traditional with more contemporary/clean lines). Looked at lanterns but we already have a lantern in our entry foyer so I am looking for something a bit different.

We like the Visual Comfort Reed 2-Tier Chandelier which is 26.5" W x 37.5" L, as we like the look of a tiered chandelier. Will this light be too large for the space? I tried to use the Houzz 2D visualizer but can't seem to get the sizing 100% right but it is close. It seems to look good to me but would love opinions from others. Using the window as a guide the 26.5" width is approximately 3 window panes and the 37.5" length would go down to just slightly below the bottom of the second row of window panes.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (5)