SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Another update: Finally ordered a dishwasher!

Alisande
2 years ago

My dishwasher stopped working in early January, and my daughter offered to get me a new one for my birthday (in April). I received some helpful advice at the KT about which one to choose, and I embarked on my research. But then came the roof leak, and it was 3.5 months before a) the leak was fixed and b) the kitchen ceiling was replaced. By the the time that was done, my dishwasher hunt was back to square one.

In the end, it came down to what is available. Appliances are so hard to get right now. I spoke with an appliance repairman, and he told me it's so tough to get appliances that he's been asked to repair old units he would normally recommend replacing. The owners just can't find a decent replacement.

I asked him what brand(s) he would recommend, and his first choice was KitchenAid, followed by Whirlpool. He does not recommend Samsung, and said he doesn't understand why Consumer Reports gives Samsung high marks.

I ordered a Maytag dishwasher from an independent dealer. It has the features I wanted--stainless steel interior, third rack, and short-wash option--and Maytag is made by KitchenAid. It has the same third-rack design as the KitchenAid (contoured to accommodate cups and bowls as well as utensils).

I'm excited and relieved. Hand-washing dishes isn't the worst job in the world, but after 8 months (three of those months without kitchen lighting) I'm more than ready to let an automatic dishwasher do it.

Comments (26)