SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polarprincess

Some final questions before ordering new PC

polarprincess
14 years ago

I have been looking for quite some time now and waited for the new windows 7 to come out, and now that it is here, i am still trying to figure out what i want and need and i have posted some ??? on this before, but need updated info with the newest options... The biggest complaint with my current computer from my family is that it is too slow. I do have too many pics on it that i will transfer to the new computer and then hopefully this one will speed up and make a good new 2nd computer-- if not i will purchase some Ram..i have done all the necessary scans and everything else to get it faster.. so anyway, on the new computer

1. Does one really need a quad processor? Is dual plenty good? Is it necessary to go up to like a 8300 or 8500 number? How is the Athlon processor different from the Intel?

2. Am i being ridiculous looking at 1 Tb hard drive even if i store alot of photos and videos? How about Memory? is 6 GB adequate for a speedy computer?

2.Will the microsoft word and excel i have installed on my current XP transfer and work on the new computer or do i need to purchase new software for windows 7?

3.Is windows home premium adequate or do i want windows 7 professional? The only difference i could see is that windows professional has back up features but is this something i need if i have another form of backup and speaking of backup.. i was thinking of purchasing the Dell online datasafe and i am wondering if i can transfer my files from my current computer that way or do i need to buy a usb transfer cord as i do not want to burn cd's or anything like that.

4. I have a modem currently from my internet provider. If i am going to add a second computer to my home can it share this modem or do i have to get another one? Is there a way to have 2 computers in the home hooked up to the same dsl line or do i have to go wireless? I do not plan on getting a laptop so would prefer to not spend the money on a router and wireless card if i don't have to. I noticed on some of the computers it had the option of a data fax modem and some had no modem options so what does this mean? How is this different from the modem sitting on my computer?

5.If i do not do graphics or gaming or anything like that is an integrated graphics card plenty or should i purchase an upgrade? I remember being told in the past that a good card will help computer be faster.

6/ Should i purchase an extended warranty? I never did with my current computer which i bought in 2003.

Alot of questions i know- i intend to have this next computer for at least 6-7 years so want to make sure i do it right. Thanks for any help

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County