jasdip1

Wednesday's Brain Game-----SOLUTION!!!

Jasdip
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Comments (50)

• bpath
    2 years ago

Some tricky ones! Have to have my first cup of coffee.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Fun! At first glance, I don't have A2, C2, D2 or C3. The rest came to me easily. I'll take a page from bpath's book and see if coffee helps.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Haven’t gotten B2, C2, C3, and maybe D2. A1 took me embarrassingly long to figure out. B3, I’m not sure. Mulling a few options.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Just got C3 - funny!

• bpath
    2 years ago

Letters, I was googling and hoping to find not the answer but some clues, and I came across something definitely NSFW! I'm fairly certain it was NOT the answer.

So, knowing C3 funny and not "ew", I'll carry on solving.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

So far B2, C2 and C3 are eluding me. Need more coffee. . . . .

Rusty

ETA: And I think C3 hit me just as I summited this . But it's not the 'ha ha' kind of funny, to me, anyway.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Missing B2 B3 C2 C3

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Ok, sorry for the confusion -- the phrase itself isn't funny, I just thought the way of expressing it was! And bpath, you might unknowingly be on the right path with 'ew', just replace the vowel with another one. Sorry, I know it's probably too early for hints, I just hate to lead people down the wrong path!

I have D2 now, still just stuck on C2.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

First time through i have all except C2! B2 is kinda funny imo!

• bpath
    2 years ago

This is it, just got B2!

• bpath
    2 years ago

C3 done.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Does ANYBODY have C2? Not quite ready for a hint yet, just making sure it’s solvable!

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I have nothing for B2 or C2

• lily316
    2 years ago

I'm having trouble with all the Cs and most of the Bs. I feel dumb.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

LOL just got B2. I think.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I'm still not getting B2 or C2. I'm pretty sure they are solvable, just not by me today. But I'm not ready to give up just yet.

Rusty

• bpath
    2 years ago

To solve B2, coffee might not be enough. You might need a new drug. But really, if you believe in love, in the power of love, you can solve it. Let me know if this is it.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Wow you really put your heart and soul into that.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Yeah, well, I’m doing it all for my baby.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Ok, it's a brand new day, a new pair of eyes and a new cup of coffee ... and I still don't get C2!

I give up. Anyone???

• bpath
    2 years ago

Jasdip, a hint for C2! You’re the only one who can help us!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I'm stuck on C2 and C3....

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Annie, for C3, the word you see is not part of the phrase, but it's an example of something that IS part of the phrase.

• User
    2 years ago

Annie, think of the dentist for c3.

I’m stuck on c2. Maybe if the v was a u but it’s a stretch.

• User
    2 years ago

Oh no! I do think that is the answer for c2 because the c isn’t a k and the v isn’t a u.

Yes, yes yes.

Maybe I’ve just read too many Asterix and Obelix comics! Lol

That could be a int-hay.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Ah thank you...c3 is clear now

• blfenton
    2 years ago

I know what int-hay but how that translates into C2 is eyond-bay e-may..

• Rusty
    2 years ago

Exactly, bifenton! ! I don't see it either, and if that's the answer, I'm hoping someone can explain why. The answers are often pretty good stretches of the imagination, but really? ? ?

Still not getting B2, either. I think the name in it is causing brain-block.

Rusty

• User
    2 years ago

I’m not sure c2 is what I think it is but I can’t unsee it now.

I think if one reads Asterix comics they could see it, maybe. My kids and husband used to come up with the funniest words.

It is a stretch, though.

Anyone else have anything?

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago

C2 isn't a word in itself. It's a method, or description.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I never read Asterix so I looked it up, and now have a clue for solving. But, I’m not getting anywhere yet,

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Rusty, for B2, forget about the word for a second and focus on the second part of the clue....if between that and the earlier hints from bpath and FOAS don't do it, you may not get it, just like I wouldn't get anything from roxsol's comics hints since I've never heard of them.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

Ok the dentist hint made the answer pop right out of course. B3 and C1 I have multiple possibilities for, probably luck of the draw if I end up with the correct ones. I think I’m destined not to get C2.

• User
    2 years ago

My thoughts are a dog could be a barcvs in a certain language, if you wanted to be silly.

Remember Bart Simpson and his Dorkus Malorkus😀

• bpath
    2 years ago

C2! D'oh! Got it! (I think)

• bpath
    2 years ago

Rusty, I considering googling to be fair game, so Google a couple of the phrases from my and foas' hints above. You might find a common thread. And if the answer pops up, you'll recognize it.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I got the second part of B2 right away, but anything I come up with for the first word just doesn't make good sense. To me anyway.

Never heard of Asterix comics, so that's no help. So I Googled them, don't think I've missed out on anything by not reading them. Never watched the Simpson's, either (well, I did once, that was more than enough). So I give up on C2.

Yeah, it's just that kind of day today, I'm just in that kind of mood.

Rusty

• User
    2 years ago

Lol Rusty, I learned more world history from Asterix comics than I ever learned in school. And it was fun!

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here you go my lovelies......

Quarterback

Lickety split

Getting it all together

A star in the making

It's hip to be square

When the smoke clears

Several irons in the fire

Pig Latin

Root canal

Two wrongs don't make a right

All things great and small

Step brothers

• blfenton
    2 years ago

Pig Latin? Can someone please interpret that one for me? Thanks

I didn't get Hip to be Square either as all I could see was Elvis.

I'm really having to think for these ones and that's a good thing

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I need someone to explain Pig Latin too. I dont get it.

And even though I got Root Canal, i can see why people had trouble with it. Technically, the symbol is ’Square Root’ and should be used correctly, not abbreviated as ’root’. I guess i am too trchnically-minded and my engineer/math mind gets in the way, lol.

A good challenge this time!

• User
    2 years ago

oinc=oink

vs=us

You seldom see the letter k in Old Roman/Latin writing and u is usually written as v.

The cv made it Latin.

Oinkus/oincvs =pig Latin

eg. barkus/barcvs=dog Latin (which isn’t a thing so it wouldn’t make sense)

Kids, like Bart Simpson, add us to the end of words to make them sound Latin-y trying to sound smart.

Thanks for the puzzle, Jasdip 😀

• bpath
    2 years ago

I had "getting close to it" and multiple wrong answers for smoke lol. I wasn't sure about D2 because I had "all CREATURES great and small" in my head, so my answer was "all things not being equal".

This was a tough one! Thanks!

• User
    2 years ago

Lol, I just looked up dog Latin, which apparently is a thing and it probably would have made more sense in this puzzle.😆

• lily316
    2 years ago

Did not get the pig Latin one and for stepbrothers which makes sense, I had 'he ain't heavy he's my brother' which makes NO sense. Otherwise, I got them all. Whoops, I forgot I missed hip to be squared too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

The pig latin is a S T R E T C H for sure. I thought "up in smoke" for b3.

And I agree on the root canal as it's square root or radical symbol.

• lettersatoz
    2 years ago

Well, I don't know that these need to be exact to lead us to a common phrase (such as root canal), but pig latin?!? Yeah, I agree that's a stretch and although I'm familiar with pig latin, I never would have gotten there with that clue. And I also had "up in smoke" since the word was getting more prominent as it went up, but the 'correct' answer works too, so it's all good.

I do prefer having one or two trip me up instead of them all being easy, but I will admit to spending WAY more time (that I should have instead been working) staring at OINCVS than I should have. Still fun - thanks, Jasdip!

• bpath
    2 years ago

The radical symbol can be used for other roots, it just defaults to square root when there is no number within the V.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

I just had 'Getting it together' for A3, close enough?

Never did figure out just what was to be squared in B2, and had 'Going up in smoke' for B3.

I thought C2 would have something to do with coins until someone gave the pig latin clue, no way I'd ever have figured that one out! Definitely a stretch, thanks for explaining it, Roxol. Yeah, the 'oinc' makes sense, but still. . . . And oddly enough, while C3 seemed daunting at first glance, when it hit me it was a 'well, DUH, how simple is that?' moment.

This was a good puzzle, from very easy to hard to confusing. It's always fun when that lightbulb goes off in my head with an 'easy' answer when I was looking for a 'hard' answer.

Thanks, Jasdip!

Rusty

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

This one definitely stretched the limits beyond what we’ve seen here before. In past puzzles the words or letters were part of the actual solution. Not always the case here, as there is no ”canal” or ”Latin” or ”hip” in the puzzles.

Interestingly I found myself making the V a U several times but I always backed up from that. I’d habe never gotten that one!