SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Coneflower "cheyenne spirit" advice and updates?

Marie Tulin
2 years ago

Zone 6 A boston suburb.

I keep reading that we should remove the buds from first year echinacae so the root systems can get well established. When you buy from a nursery, how do you know how old the plant is? Or does that recommendation apply to any ech that is newly planted?

The ones I saw today were huge and would be perfect for a big bare spot in my echinacea bed.

(May the gods save me from buying expensive "perfect" plants. If not the gods, gardenweb aka Houzz. )

The tempting plants filled 2 gallon pots and were nearly 2 feet tall. Is that an indication they 're older than first year plants or that they were pumped full of fertilizer at the nursery? Both?

If I remove all the buds, it's not worth the big price tag with no guarantee they'll return next spring. I'd be better off buying small plants in the spring.

I've lost many echs over different winters. Most were planted in early or mid fall when I bought them on sale. I know better now. But is mid-August and there are 2 more months in the growing season.

Finally, what's your experience- in seasons, not just months, with CS reverting to it's purple parentage? I love e. Magnus & Pow Wow pink and don't need any more pinks & purples.

Thanks for any recent information you have to share.

Marie

Comments (2)