SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smhinnb

Meals for one....

smhinnb
2 years ago

I've mentioned before that my husband works away for part of each month. While he is gone, my eating habits are pretty awful - mostly because I find it hard to be enthusiastic or inspired to cook for just me. Sometimes it hardly seems worth the effort. I often end up with take-out, or worse - something like popcorn for supper.

What are your suggestions for easy and quick meal ideas for one? Doesn't even have to be a meal per se, I'm happy with snacky type items - but I'd like some healthier options than popcorn. For example, I could easily make a meal of fruit and cheese but need some inspiration for new combos, etc. I'm in a rut. I actually wrote down some ideas from the 'snacks with wine' thread. I'm not a vegetarian but I'm pretty indifferent about meat, so ideas can include meat or not.

I'm want to try to to be a bit more conscious about my eating habits.... my husband surprised me with a trip to to Hawaii for my birthday (not going until late March) and I wouldn't hate it if I lost a few pounds before then. :)

Comments (62)

• aok27502
    2 years ago

Following. My DH was gone for a month, and I started out pretty well but went downhill. I did eat a lot of salads.

He's back now, with no further travel plans, but I need to be prepared. Really can't do that again.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I've been without a full size working refrigerator for a little over three weeks. Long story about repairs, so won't get into that, but will say that I bought a mini fridge to tide me over, and then bought a brand new fridge Monday (to be delivered tomorrow). My neighbor up the road has all my frozen meat in her freezer.

Anyhoo, I discovered Marie Callendar's and other various processed prepared meals! Enough for one, actually tasty, and no leftovers (no fridge big enough). I'm afraid I may get hooked tho and stop cooking. I've always cooked meals for myself. Tonight it's cheesy rice with chicken and broccoli. Also three ears of fresh sweet corn.

• Related Discussions

Effects of Excessive Soybean Meal?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping my results are more like Tarheel's. I was concerned about the smothering, too. After I ran the dethatching rake on the area, I went in with the old weed hound and aerated it hoping that would normalize the soil at least. I'll let you all know what happens. The entire thing does have me wondering though, if soybean meal can form a hard crust (albeit still be very squishy under the crust), what is it doing in the lawn? I realize we're talking much smaller amounts. Judging by the gooey junk under the crust, I can see why little microbes would want at it, especially if it's loaded with protein.
    ...See More

Using Bulk Corn Meal or Soy Bean Meal to Improve Garden Soil

Q

Comments (13)
    If you want to improve the soil structure then something like Nature's Helper (fine, aged bark chips) or another 'soil improver' would be better than vermiculite. The vermiculite is a permanent solution, so in one way, it's good, but it will NEVER break down and will be there for years to come. The benefit from adding OM, which will eventually be broken down by the microherd in the soil, is that it will all eventually improve your soil, making it more permeable and more fertile. The vermiculite will most likely do nothing, long term, for the improvement of your fulvic and humic acids. I would check to see if there is a municipal source of compost, and see if they will deliver - if they won't, then borrow a pick-up truck, if you don't own one, and get a few loads. It should be free, or nearly so, esp. if you pick up. I know there is a commercial operation near here where a freind got a pick-up load of mushroom compost and top soil for about $30 (about 2 cu. yards). Have you been adding the manure and compost to your garden beds for the past few years? I repeat what I wrote earlier - if you have been adding 4" or more of OM each year for a number of years, then you probably should have pretty good soil by now. If, however, this is only the second year or so you have been adding, then, yes, you could probably add more. One source of free or nearly so, OM is the local tree services, and the companies that trim the powerlines - they end up with truckloads of chippings, and are usually happy to dump one or more loads if you ask. The main draw-back is that the chippings are fresh and pretty coarse, so you have to be able to let them sit for at least a year - 2 is better - before using them. They do make a decent mulch, 'though you have to pick out the bigger pieces. If nothing else, it's a good "brown" additive to your new compost pile. You might also see if you can get the "spoiled" hay or straw. If nothing else, and for the future, see if you can get the bales people have used for fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving decorations. By the time that they have sat out in the rain for a few weeks, they aren't really usable for either feed or bedding. Most people would probably give them to you, rather than have the garbage collecter take them, if their garbage service will even do so. I kinow nothing about the cotton by-products, they aren't locally available, so will let someone else comment on that.
    ...See More

What are your most 'Repeated' meals?

Q

Comments (50)
    I make a lot of pasta with marinara, ragu bolognese, pesto etc. We just finished having a broccoli, bacon, onion and gruyere quiche for dinner that makes regular appearances around here. Another favorite is stir fry, I make that once a week or so. I also bbq throughout the year because our weather here is relatively mild. Other than that, tacos, nachos, salads, soups, stews and pot pies get made often around here depending on the weather. Based on the frequency of its appearance in this thread, I'm going to have to work on my roasted chicken method. When I tried Ann's high heat method the results were wonderful, but I spent more time cleaning the oven than I did cooking the bird. Note to self, when remodeling the kitchen get a self cleaning oven! :)
    ...See More

making 3 meals out of one

Q

Comments (2)
    Sounds good! My one-year old twins wouldn't eat a vegetable lasagna I made, but they did like the noodles. So I blended the rest up- veggies, ricotta, and sauce- and used that as a sauce for spaghetti. They loved it.
    ...See More
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

I lived alone for anlong time. I would cook on sunday and eat leftovers for a few days. the rest if the week was a little of this, little of that. I eas much thinner then 😂

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

Single serve Stouffers lasagna is very good.

• localeater
    2 years ago

I have pretty regular solo meals and I try to eat fairly healthy. As mentioned by someone else, eggs are great: boiled, an omelet, a mini-shakshuka, etc. Mushrooms are also great, sauteed on whole wheat toast - yum yum. For yesterday’s meals, I looked around at the vegetables we had, I sauteed mushrooms, added a small yellow squash from the garden, tossed in the remnants of a red pepper and several handfuls of spinach. That became a veg quesadilla for lunch, and then was part of a bowl for supper with some leftover brown rice, more spinach, and a tahini drizzle. My breakfasts tend to be yogurt with fruit and wheat germ, but if i’ve skipped breakfast I’ll be happy with that for lunch. Another thing I like to keep on hand is smoked salmon, trout, mussels. The smoked salmon is great on toast with spinach, the smoked trout i like on crackers, smoked mussels are just yummy. Also a big bean fan. A quick bean salad, can be lunch for several days, white beans also serve as the basis for dips.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Love all the ideas... asparagus parmesan with a sunny side up egg sounds fab!!

I do not like most frozen dinners-- but I found a number of Trader Joe's frozen dinners I thought were great (channa masala is a fav!) .. and some of their fresh meals too (rosemary chicken breast with wild rice). I haven't been for a long time as the nearest one is almost 2 hr away and I no longer drive-- but I know they still sell the indian line, including channa masala.

And on a personal note: soon I won't have to travel-- A Trader Joe's is being built just 2 mi from my house! It's not a good path to walk-- but it is an easy uber ride and i am sure my local nieces are smart enough to figure out that if they take me, I will buy their groceries!

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

I try to cook and eat in most nights, but certainly not every night. And I am often cooking for one as my husband was away quite a bit for his last job and will be again for this one he is starting soon. How do you feel about leftovers? I'm a big fan of something I can cook one night and re-heat for the next night or for lunch the next day.

https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-cauliflower-and-lentil-tacos/

This is one of my current favorite meals. As a vegetarian I had the misconception that tacos needed at least cheese, but I was so wrong. These are delicious. I can cook the lentils and roast the cauliflower and the put the leftovers in the fridge. Just re-heat the lentils and cauliflower in the microwave the next day (or multiple days) and I have another meal.

https://cookieandkate.com/foolproof-shakshuka-recipe/

I often take half of the sauce before I put in the eggs and put it in the fridge to cook for the next night.

https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/tempeh-curry-recipe.html

Make up a bunch of curry (I use carrots and cauliflower swapped in for some of the potatoes) which can either be eaten over several nights or frozen and eaten later.

I also do a handful of very roughly thrown together "meals" without recipes.

• Roast up a cookie sheet of vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus, brussel sprouts, bell peppers, whatever I have on hand) with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Put slices of haloumi cheese on the cookie sheet to roast at the same time.
    • Cook up a bunch of brown rice. Quickly saute some broccoli, baby bok choy, bell peppers, and/or snap peas. Saute some tofu that I've soaked in soy sauce while the veggies were cooking. Throw together with some store bought peanut sauce. This is my favorite: https://www.sisterspantry.com/our-products/fresh-spicy-peanut-sauce/
    • Cook up brown rice. Saute some bell peppers and frozen corn if desired. Mix together with rice and add in some canned black beans. Top with shredded cheese and salsa.
    • Make quick quesadillas with wheat or corn tortillas folded around cheese, canned beans, and salsa. Top with sour cream if desired.

Most of my meals are either things that I can eat several days in a row or that are super fast and easy with very few dishes to clean.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    2 years ago

When it's just me I often have a canned of smoked oysters on rice crackers and a glass of wine.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

a quick, delicious soup using a can of white beans, some chicken broth, some herbs, quick microwaved carrot slices, some chopped fresh spinach or kale, and some fresh lemon juice.

LynnNM, I like the sound of that. Is there a recipe or just eyeball it?

"single guy" meals which were some type of meat, grilled, a starch and vegetable.

This is what I make most of the time, for everyday family meals. TBH, most meals that are more elaborate than that involve bread of some form, sauces, etc. All more caloric and labor intensive than I think nightly dinner should be, at least for me.

• lisaam
    2 years ago

Marcella’s recipe for white bean soup is quite good and quick. lovingly made chicken broth is nice but not required. Lynn’s embellishments could make it even yummier.

https://food52.com/recipes/51809-marcella-hazan-s-white-bean-soup-with-garlic-and-parsley

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Thx Lisa, I love Marcella.

Time to plug my fave chicken broth again!

• lisaam
    2 years ago

Ive never seen that brand. i am (mostly) vegetarian but i do go for chicken broth, demi glace, and even sweetbreads. a wonderful friend brings me broth that she makes when she roasts chicken.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

Trader Joes frozen food is often high in calories, salt and fat. Proceed with caution

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

They also have a delish vegetable broth, beef, and seafood. My local grocer in CT carries it but I've not seen it a lot of places. To me, it tastes very close to homemade .. subtle and complex.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    2 years ago

I have no problem eating leftovers.

• Anne
    2 years ago

My DH is retired and I still work full time. We both like to cook but seem to go in phases of not wanting too.

If we make soup we freeze in single servings.

On a Sunday we will hard boil eggs, cook pasta and roast a pan of veggies. I keep oatmeal, yogurt, almond milk, cream cheese and cottage cheese on hand. I freeze half a loaf of bread when I buy it. I do buy bagged greens.

DH will make a salad of greens with tuna, cheese and black olives.

The pasta can be served with jarred pesto and roasted veggies.

Toast with cream cheese.

Roast Beef hash( high quality deli meat sliced thick or canned) and over easy eggs and a side of applesauce, oatmeal and almond milk with nuts.

breakfast for dinner.

My local grocery has the meal packs ( fish or chicken and veggies you bake in the pouch) A bit more expensive but easy and healthy.

Also naan bread pizzas or flatbread with the roasted veggies and pesto are a hit.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

1929Spanish, well that's true of prepared food in general-- but from my experience, the ones I have purchased from Trader Joe's in the past were much better than the others recommended above-- both in calories and general nutrition. Perhaps that changed and perhaps it depends on what you select. The two i remember/have in my tracker are the Chicken Asada (240 calories) and Channa Masala (180 calories)... but I didn't track sodium.

Mtn, you nudged me to finally track down the broth (fall is coming!). It isn't available here but i did find it on amz and dibruno brothers. $8/34 oz at DiBruno's which is about double the cost of the broths I use now. I am going to give it a try but I am curious if that's the price range you are seeing in the grocery store.

I have to say, I am so ready for fall and soup season-- not because I am done with summer but because this year, summer keeps teasing with fall temps!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

Another single guy here, tonight was a flat iron steak on the grill, grilled asparagus with parmesan and dried cranberries, and a very small amount of organic brown rice all rounded out with a hard cider and some dark chocolate.

Oh and I ate a bunch of blue corn tortilla chips while cooking.

• Anne
    2 years ago

Also with the pasta ( I use wheat or chick pea pasta) I will mix in frozen fire roasted corn with a little ialian dressing and cojota cheese and black olives.

cottage cheese with allfruit fills me up.

• Fori
    2 years ago

Grab a whole wheat pita (not the squishy flatbread--the drier less fatty pocket ones), warm slightly, glop on hummus, fill it up with raw spinach. Onions optional.

• 4kids4us
    2 years ago

When it’s just me, I tend to eat a more filling lunch and a lighter dinner. I lose motivation by dinner time if I’m the only one home.

I like to keep shredded chicken on hand, either poached and shredded at home or from a storebought rotisserie chicken. So much I can do quickly with that - a chicken quesadilla, chicken tortilla soup, chicken salad sandwich, make a big green salad and throw some on top are just a few things I make with it.

In the summer I can make a dinner out of my garden - I keep fresh mozzarella stocked for making caprese salad with sliced tomatoes and basil from our garden. I’m satisfied with just that. I also make a veggie sandwich - hearty bread (I like Trader Joe’s sliced pane) smeared with hummus then layered of thinly sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and feta cheese and lettuce.

This summer, I’ve been living off that wild rice salad recipe that was shared here a few times. I adjusted it slightly and use quinoa instead of wild rice. I don’t mix with the arugula and just keep it separate. I eat it several days in a row, tossing with either arugula or spring mix and to make it hearty will add grilled or shredded chicken. I eat this for lunch usually but would definitely eat for dinner if I were eating alone.

When I was young and studied abroad in Europe, to save money, many a meal while traveling was finding a good baguette and cheese. Yum! If I wasn’t watching my carb intake, I would be happy eating that all the time for dinner!

In the winter I make a lot of soups.

I’m used to making dinner for 6. Next week, kid #3 leaves for college and it will just be three of us. I’m so used to cooking for more that it’s going to be hard to pare down. I find it easier cooking for myself than I do for 2-3 people so this will be an adjustment.

• amykath
    2 years ago

I live alone. I hate cooking for just one. I often buy a prepared chicken salad that my grocery store makes and have that on whole wheat.

I also love the Buitoni Pesto with Basil Spread. I swear it tastes like it was homemade. Honestly, if you like pesto this can not be beat! I add it to some pasta and put fresh parmesean and it is so good!

I also do shakes. I will add some kale or spinach in with banana, peanut butter and some fruit. Always delicious and healthy.

Sometimes a good ole pb&j hits the spot.

• LynnNM
    2 years ago

Mtnrdredux: regarding my white bean and lemon soup, I just eyeball it, adding the lemon at the very end.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I rarely cook for just one, pretty much never lol. I love to cook, don't like convenience foods and I am picky about how long something is in the fridge (leftovers) or freezer. I am not one to keep alot of frozen foods, but since covid, I do keep more. Leftovers are eaten by day 3 or thrown out. I also do not eat alot of sandwiches. But as someone said, this time of year, I have enough fresh produce to easily make a meal. My favorite mid-day meal (I usually eat around 11 am and then again later in the day) is whole-wheat toast and 1 or 2 eggs. If i'm living it up, I will have jam or jelly on my toast. Mostly I try to greatly limit the "white stuff" which includes too many things I love such as bread and pasta. So I have those in only small amounts. But pasta with homemade sauce is one of my favorites. I make sauce when our tomatoes are plentiful and then freeze. It is good with or without meat added. I try to keep nuts, fresh fruit and cheese on hand and can make a meal with that. On the rare occasions I am eating alone, a meal like that is nice because I would never serve that with the Mr. here, it would not come close to filling him up.

I generally cook at least 3 times a week, have a couple of other meals that are usually partial leftovers and eat out a couple times a week. Such as this week, I will cook a small tenderloin one day which will make a couple of dinners for us (and still probably have a bit for a lunch) but I'll switch up the veggies. I'll do the same with a chicken casserole another day. I do like to make a frittata and make in a muffin tin and freeze those for my breakfast/brunch meal.

• salonva
    2 years ago

Interesting thread. I am one who does not enjoy cooking (or even preparing food). DH seems to really enjoy it, and I am very un-fussy and happy to eat just about anything. I do think about how I have gotten so out of cooking that I am not sure I even remember how ( other than to roast/bake a chicken or cook salmon in the oven).

I would probably eat a lot of PB and J which I do love. I would like to think I would get back into preparing food but I suspect a fair amount of frozen dinners and salads would be my go- to. (If I was trying to not be too bad. Otherwise I can see ice cream being my food of choice for lunch and dinner!

I do love roasted veggies and used to do that but have fallen out of the practice. Do you do them in advance? I think something that can be prepared and then just reheated is definitely appealing. Does that work with veggies? (if so- can you share details).

Thanks,

From a very lazy lady

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I have grilled veggies and used them for multiple days in multiple ways-- I have also ordered vegetarian fajitas and done the same.. from one batch of grilled veggies, I can have them ...

• as fajitas w/tortillas and refried beans
    • rolled in a burrito with black beans and cilantro lime rice
    • in an omelet
    • on top of couscous (basically a 10 min meal!)
    • in a salad with or without meat
    • with pasta and an herb sauce, wine sauce, pesto
    • reheated with a skirt steak, flat iron or whichever steak you love
    • reheated in a skillet, topped with cheese and served "cheesesteak" style in an amoroso roll

• Bunny
    2 years ago

I love leftovers!

For those who like rotisserie chicken (Costco or elsewhere), remember the carcass makes really good stock. I usually get 3 quarts which I freeze in pint or quart containers. So much better than boxed stock.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@salonva i roast veggies on a large cookie sheet so that we will have leftovers. a little olive oil and seasoning and thats all it takes! Roasted veggies are almost always used as a side for us ir sometines on rice. Funky has some yummy suggestions!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I don't like leftover roasted veggies, fwiw. Maybe hidden in something, but o/w i find them unappetizing.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Really? I can hardly tell the difference.

i have been wanting homemade egg salad and now i am wanting roasted veggies! (but not together lol)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

They seem soggy to me, which is why they are ok in something else. But roasting them fresh is so easy , esp if you use parchment paper and then you don't even have to clean the pan

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Hmmm, i havent had soggy veggies. Definitelt parchment paper!

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Zucchini can get soggy-- but grilled onions and peppers stand up well imo-- but maybe I have just adapted because it's convenient. Again, I rarely bother to cook for myself during the week. There's just no joy in it for me.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don't like rotisserie chickens from the store-- they seem really fatty to me and I don't really like dark meat. I do get pulled white meat for busy weeks-- and I will also cook a split turkey breast with herbs and citrus (in the oven or on the grill).

• salonva
    2 years ago

I am really a most un-fussy eater, but I think that I would agree leftover roasted veggies are unappealing. I used to do it with broccoli and then eat it like a snack ( like instead of chips).

Question that will show how inexperienced a cook I am-- when I roast veggies in the oven, I line the sheet with foil to minimize clean up. How is it different from parchment paper?( I do have parchment paper but curious). Thank you all

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@salonva I guess I am just a roasted veggie lover. Fresh or left-over! One tip is not to cook them until they are too "done" or too soft (unless you like them that way). I love to roast broccoli for myself and lit it get a little crispy! You can use foil, I have used it also, IMO it really isn't that different.

Funky, rotisserie chicken turns me off. In fact, I have never bought/eaten it. I think it is the smell of them cooking that turns me off. I also don't like dark meat.

Enjoy your day ladies! I'm off to catch up with my sister!!

• localeater
    2 years ago

I dont think we ever have leftover roasted vegetables, LOL My DH eats a lot. It actually amazes me how much he eats.

@pricklypearcactus I am so excited about that lentil cauliflower taco recipe. I love cookie&kate recipes in general, but hadnt ever seen that one. We’ll be having that this week.

• deegw
    2 years ago

I don't think I am too picky of an eater but I also really dislike the texture of the leftover roasted vegetables. A few veggies on a leftover pizza are fine but an entire serving doesn't appeal to me at all.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

Leftover roasted vegetables do look somewhat sad, but they taste fabulous. I often mix them with rice or an omelette or pasta, but sometimes I just bite the bullet and dig in and I am happy I did, they taste good. I think if the texture bothered me it would be another issue, but it doesn't.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Let's face it-- there's little i prefer as a leftover. That said, I also don't want/have the time to cook every day. We all make compromises that work for us.

I remember not too long ago when everyone jumped on my using fresh pre-cut onions sometimes.. since I have depth perception issues, sometimes (esp later in the day), cutting onions was a challenge and i was willing to make the pre-cut compromise. I have since purchased the pampered chef chopper which has helped quite a bit!

• jojoco
    2 years ago

along the snacking as dinner route--my summer addiction has been Cedar's Tzatziki sauce (comes in a tub near the hummus section). I take a whole pita pocket, soften it in the microwave and then spread the tzatziki sauce on the outside and add rotisserie chicken slices and fold over. It is quick and easy and not completely unhealthy. Depending on what salad fixings I have on hand, I may add cukes or lettuce to the sandwich. I'm also meh on most meats (except chicken), so the sauce has to . carry the show. In this case it definitely does.

• Oakley
    2 years ago

Sometimes I make my favorite and easy casserole that DH usually doesn't eat and have it for a few days. That and bag salad.

Sometimes I make fixings for tuna, egg salad, or chicken salad sandwich, and a Mexican 7-layer dip on the side. Best comfort food ever and it last for days.

• amykath
    2 years ago

This recipe is delicious!! Its easy and healthy as well its one of my favorites So many of his are wonderful and simple!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KZM9-eTczIs

• nekotish
    2 years ago

During the summer especially, my DH will cook two chickens on our BBQ rotisserie. We have part of one for that night's dinner. He likes, dark meat, I don't like it by itself, but am fine with it in something, like enchiladas or soup or chicken pot pie. So after our first dinner, I cut the legs and wings off, strip the rest of the meat and bag it for the freezer. DH eats a couple of wings or a leg for a lunch for the next day or two. I throw the carcasses in my instapot and get couple of quarts of good broth, which I freeze. Before freezing the stripped meat, I usually make a batch or two of enchiladas for two. Two chickens done this way makes 5 or 6 meals for us and the broth gets made into various soups. For a hot weather soup, that doesn't involve a lot of kitchen time, chicken taco soup is a favourite; chicken broth, shredded chicken, a can of black beans ( or a cup or two of frozen) corn, green chilis, whatever veg are languishing in the crisper, tomatoes and seasoning. Comes together quickly and we both like it.

• nekotish
    2 years ago
    • AKTillery, I've saved that Chicken Calabrese recipe. I think that, on a bed of fresh spinach would be a great summer meal. We have a plethora of cherry tomatoes and lots of basil! - thank you!
  • amykath
    2 years ago

Nekotish, I am glad you will be trying it! I think you will love it. Fresh cherry tomatoes and basil will make it that much better.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I'm trying it too! yum

• amykath
    2 years ago

Mtn, let me know if you like it!

• Lyban zone 4
    2 years ago

Aktillery9.

i just made the chicken Calabrese for our dinner tonight. we both thought that it was delicious. my only sub was ginger ale instead of white wine.

.so quick and easy, thanks for that web site.

• amykath
    2 years ago

I am glad I could share Lyban. Interesting about the ginger ale. I wonder how that would taste vs. wine.