SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fig_insanity

Off topic, but URGENT: Please Help Save an Irreplaceable Rose Nursery

fig_insanity Z7b E TN
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm cross-posting this in several forums, hoping to reach sympathetic, like-minded gardeners who don't want to see an irreplaceable resource disappear. Long story short, the water well at Burlington Roses in Visalia, CA has run dry. The owner, Burling Leong depended on this well not just for her rose business, but for her home and farm. Her collection of rare roses includes old garden roses, otherwise unattainable modern roses, and perhaps most importantly, the remnants of Ralph Moore's collection of miniatures and unusual species crosses that he hybridized over many years (Ralph is known as "the father of miniature roses"). For many of these roses, there is no other commercial source. But Burling is facing a $70,000 cost of drilling a deeper well and buying a new pump able to handle the job.

Even if you've never purchased from Burlington Roses, if you love roses I hope Burling's plight will move you to donate. Besides the physical existence of her collection, her breadth and depth of knowledge is monumental, and her warmth and generosity are legend. There is no one more deserving of our help. The original post on the rose forums about her is here:

Help save Burlington Roses!

And you can donate here:

GoFundMe for Burlington Roses

I thank you in advance on behalf of Burling and all lovers of roses.

John

Comments (2)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner