SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natureinspiredm_6b

Need help with Plant ID

I have this volunteer purple leaved plant, which decided to start growing in the newly created front bed two years ago. i was not quite sure what it was but loved the dark purple leaves and decided to let it grow.

this year it has grown about 4 feet.

Shape of the leaves remind me of crab apple. as the weather gets warmer the lower leaves turn greening purple but the stems and new leaves remain dark purple.

i tried plant id website with inconclusive results. most return ninebark as result, but to me it looks more like a Malus.

Could someone name the plant correctly?

stem with older leaves:

Young branch:

Comments (4)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It‘s a Crab apple seedling.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

with the vagaries of genetics.. you really dont know what you will end up with .. let say whether it will have a nice flower show ... or nice fruit production ... or resistance to some of the disease issue the older varieties have ...

but that said.. it will be a fun project ...

if you want to turn it into a tree form ... you will have to start pruning it up .... cleaning up the trunk.. to force it vertical ... and thats no big deal ... there is a proper time to do that ... and we could help with that if you are interested ...

i cant tell if its potted ... at 4 feet.. it should probably be planted in the ground this fall ... or moved if need be ... that would be best done in dormancy ... we can also help with that ...

i would suggest you post in the tree forum... but its the same peeps here.. so why bother ...

ken

• natureinspiredM_ 6B NJ
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Ken. I would love to grow it as a tree.

That said, mr. Malus needs to be relocated from the current bed. The young plant is in ground, growing intermingled with my russian sage. the pictures i posted were from a cut branch, i cut it back it as it was sticking out above all other branches.

i would like to move it to a more tree aporopriate location at the back of our house. I have not seen any bud forming this spring. but when i googled purple leaf crab apple i was returned pictures of pretty dark pink flowers. may be i will get flowers or showy fruits or both - the prospect of experiment and making my backyard birds happy is exciting.

When i come back from work, will add some pictures of the current plant in ground.

Will surely need suggestions on relocation, light requirements and pruning.

• natureinspiredM_ 6B NJ
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Pictures…

im afraid the pics are not very clear.

the main stem is now at about 1.5 feet tall as i have taken out the top by more then 2/3. and it about 1/2” thick.

it has four lateral branches growing, out of those the front three (facing the camera) are much thicker (about 1/4” or more at the base) while the 4th branch is thin.

@ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 can you please suggest what i need to do to move it successfully? what care it needs after transplant? i once tried to move a volunteer sassafrass and thad did not end up well, partly because deer kept nibbling the plant, but mainly i think due to bad drainage. it succumbed after about two years.

I am hoping this one will grow in a mostly shady spot. the location i have in mind doesnt get much direct sun in bottom 6 feet, but plenty of bright light. once the tree reaches 6’ sun will not be a problem.

I am dreaming of a low branching tree.

front view

Top view (almost top)

another angle

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022