SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
g_indecisive

Whites Dilemma! Chantilly Lace Simply/Super White. Cabinets Trim walls

G Indecisive
2 years ago

Hi all. Joining the white dilemma party. It’s a real one and it’s painful :) please help! I’ve been studying @Lori A Sawaya amazing posts and scientific data on the whites to try to make the right decision.

We are renovating our kitchen + painting the rest of the house. We have a lot of crown & molding (& columns) throughout the entire house so when I mention trim, it’s a lot of trim that plays into the picture. Kitchen is east facing.

Paint surfaces that need to be determined are:

1/ kitchen cabinets

2/ trim/molding (which is throughout the entire house both floors)

3/ walls:

-kitchen will have minimal remaining drywall since cabinets are going to the 9’ ceilings

-hallway that enters the kitchen and extends to the 2-story entry foyer

-2-story great room - that is connected open-concept to the kitchen with columns

4/ ceilings

I tested 8 whites and am very surprised by my initial reactions! I thought White Dove might be a clear winner but it actually is almost in last place. These are what I tested:

1/ Bm White Dove

2/ BM Atrium White

3/ BM Simply White

4/ BM Chantilly Lace

5/ BM Decorators White

6/ BM Super White

7/ SW High Reflective White

8/ SW Pure White

Pic #1 is in a room with a decent amount of natural lights but is east facing like the kitchen although some of the windows are bag and technically face NE and SE.

Pic #2 is a hallway into the kitchen that gets a lot less natural light

(I was shocked at how White Dove is so blah and seemingly disappears)

So I think/thought Chantilly Lace is the winner for kitchen cabinets and was going to work from there but the more I read I worry - is it too stark? Not the color itself but considering the calacatta quartz countertops? And thinking about trim color (since the commitment impacts the entire house both floors!) Every time I look at the sample wall, it’s the winner…but with the concerns I wonder about Simply or Super white instead.

Kitchen is large so it’s a lot of cabinets so a lot of whatever white I choose. The island I decided to contrast with black (oh goodness, will black pose This amount of dilemma, too!!) as will be the hood. FYI our range is matte black.

With all this, I guess my questions are (but open to other thoughts/suggestions too!) are:

IF CL cabinets, what color for walls & trim? AND what would be a light light gray that would work with the trim for the neighboring great room?

And the same questions if:

-simply white (does it read too yellow)

-super white (does it read too blue/purple?)

Sorry for the long posts but really hoping for a lot of input to help me make some decisions! Cabinet color needs to be decided ASAP!!! THANK YOU!!!

Comments (34)