SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annalise_nelson6

Butt-joint mosaic floor tiles in bathroom?

Annalise Nelson
2 years ago

I purchased a marble mosaic tile from TileBar to use on my bathroom floor (NOT shower floor, just the rest of the floor) and was perplexed to see that on each sheet of tile there is virtually no space between each tile that would allow for any normal grouting. Definitely not even 1/32nd of an inch in many places (see photos). My contractor and tiler insist that the tile cannot be adequately grouted and that I will get moisture under the tile. They also say that it is hard to fit the 12x12 mosaic sheets together with a perfect butt joint so it will be a bit obvious where each sheet is. TileBar insists this tile is suited for bathroom floors and that it can be adequately installed with a wet unsanded grout. I would have to pay for return shipping and a 15% “restocking fee,” which is annoying but may be worth doing if the alternative is that in a year I have mold issues, and have to take up the floor and remedy the damage. TileBar’s web description shows an installation with what looks like 1/16 grout lines, but with an ungrounded sample with virtually no space between the pieces: https://www.tilebar.com/nature-antique-pebble-carrara-mosaic.html.

Has anyone had a similar experience with extremely minimal grouting on a bathroom floor, and would you trust your contractor and tiler over TileBar on this one?

Comments (5)