SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenellemarchetti

How to decorate when there is no entryway??

jenellemarchetti
2 years ago

I dont have much of an entry way. any advice on how to decorate this area?

Comments (39)

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Show us the corner the table is in, please

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Without seeing the rest of that dining area, my instinct is to change table to a round one, add some kind of small table or bench with narrow mirror on the right side of the door and maybe a small coat tree on the left. Change rug to a larger and longer one.

• Related Discussions

Akward entryway shape: how would you decorate it?

Q

Comments (1)
    I would find a warm-colored rug to soften all the cold-looking tile. From this one view it's difficult to see this area clearly. Could you please post more pictures? I'm afraid that large and heavy-looking mirror is out of proportion to the more delicate console beneath it. The photos and basket underneath also don't seem right.
    ...See More

I have this new house I need advice on how to decor the entry?should

Q

Comments (0)
    Thank s
    ...See More

How would you decorate this entry?

Q

Comments (316)
    I've lived with the rug for a few days now and I think I'm keeping it :) Considering this one to go in front of the bench: [https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-area-rugs-prbr1-br~t_13149~s_2107[(https://www.houzz.com/products/traditional-area-rugs-prbr1-br~t_13149~s_2107) It's the same brand and has the same colors in the description (rust and ivory) so I'm hoping it works. Never bought from Houzz before, though.
    ...See More

how to decorate living and family room as well as to create entrance??

Q

Comments (14)
    I agree with CDR. Two sets of table and chairs in the SAME space would look really odd, like a hotel lobby with various seating. (4 club chairs & table AND dining table & chairs) Re: Pool table. Do you have a flex room, loft or 3rd car garage/man cave? I saw a pool table in the dining space area of young single male's home. Such a set-up is not conducive to a family holiday dinners. The. breakfast nook area looks like a small round table and 4 chairs. (kids & homework) or small child's limited play area (supervise while cooking dinner) If this is your bachelor pad and no big dinners are in your future- then four comfy club chairs (for cigars & whisky) & round table in the front living area with pool table in the dining space.
    ...See More
  • jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the rest of the dining area. It’s a very small area for a dining table.

• housegal200
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

More photos needed to show the left side of the front door to get the best answers. In the meantime, some thoughts:

--Get a runner that harmonizes with your walls and furnishings to create a pathway into the space. This will give the sense of "two rooms." I like this one because it almost suggests footsteps into the space. Or choose a runner in tans, blues, reds from your art work or whatever your palette is in living room side.

Surya Melody MDY-2010 Area Rug, Neutral/Blue, 2'6"x8' Runner · More Info

--Get a not-too-deep sideboard with drawers/low but slim bookcase/console piece for under the dining window.--could be all across the wall or just under the window. This give you a landing place for keys and mail and a welcoming table lamp.

--Float the dining table in the middle of the room with another rug that the chairs can fit on entirely when pushed out.

-

Winston Sofa Table · More Info

Etsy has many hairpin consoles.

Powell Benjamin Console Table · More Info

--If it's in the budget a round dining table might work better--no corners to bump into in a small space. In any case, turn the table the other way and place it in the center of the room. It looks very squashed where it is, adding to a cramped feeling. Be thinking about a wide narrow storage piece for under the window. Also, check out Etsy for hairpin leg consoles for under that window or DIY and stain it the color of your table.

--We can't see your living room. If you have a sofa against the wall think about floating it so that its back creates an entryway behind the sofa. This is assuming you have space

Interior Renovation - Grant Park, Atlanta · More Info

--Floating shelf on left side of door with mirror.

Fort Greene Condo · More Info

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I moved the table in the center of the room. I plan on getting a runner for the front door. Thank you for all your advice and ideas..

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If I put a small side board under that window, the chairs wouldn’t be able to be pulled out all the way. I can’t move it any closer to the counter because it would interfere with walking space and the barstools (which get used everyday)

• erinsean
    2 years ago

Could you put your table against the wall under the picture. Two chairs on one side and one chair on each end. Looks like you would have enough room. Then find a slim console table to put under the windows. slim and not too long.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If I put it under the pictures I wouldn’t be able to walk through that side of the island . It’s already narrow

• Kim H
    2 years ago

I like your dining table centered in the room, how does it feel to you? I've got the same issue my front door opens up right into the living room and my family comes in and drops everything on the dining room table. Will a slim console table fit under the window on the living room side? Not centered under the window but right where that floor register is. You could add a lamp, mirror and a dish on it to catch your keys and mail. Then you could add a couple hooks on the dining room side of the door.

• Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

What sort of climate do you live in? Do you need something at the door for coats and boots?

Much as I hate rugs under dining room tables, that might provide a way for you to make a distinction between the living room and the dining room. Otherwise, a set of shelves or a big poster on the wall between the door and the window by your table might also lead to a subtle definition of the dining space.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Thank you for the extra pictures. Next time you post, do a quick drawing with measurements. Now that I know you have an archway setting off the living room, that simplifies things. Options:

--banquette arrangement instead of chair, still with dining table in the middle. Then put two of the chairs at either end of the current table.

--

--Or get a white hairpin bench that can be tucked under the table with two of your white chairs at either end.

--Install a deep windowsill for a basket, small lamp, plants. Paint it white.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kim: I do like it centered. It fits the space much better. My family does the same! Always clearing off the table with stuff. I can try to see if a slim console would work. I think it may be in the way of the chairs. They wouldn’t be able to scoot out far enough without hitting it.

Yvonne: we live in the Bay Area California. It’s very hot during the summer and it never snows here, just rain. I was thinking about maybe putting a floating shelf and and a mirror or picture above it. That way the shelf can be a place for keys etc. I and going to get a runner for the front door. I’m hoping a longer runner will be able to separate the space a little. A rug under the table would be so messy. And it would cover the air vent and possibly interfere with the barstools being able to be pushed out.
    I can’t decide what color runner to get. We have gray and white, neutral tones in our house.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Housegal200: thank you for the advice and ideas. Are you saying to buy a bench and use that as the seating and place them against the walls? It’s not in our budget to build any permanent seating at the moment.

• Kim H
    2 years ago

Would a console fit over here? Is there enough room behind the couch? Maybe with some baskets under to help corral stuff

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Okay, forget about any banquette idea. The table does look much better where you moved it. If you could, drop a light over the table to define the space. And, yes, definitely get a great runner that harmonizes with your art and living room pieces. I like the idea of a slim console, if it fits, in living room area. You need something to put down keys, mail, with a lamp that gives you the feeling of an entryway. Good luck!

• Kim H
    2 years ago

What does the rug in the living room look like? I can only see a little corner peeking out. If you are keeping it I would coordinate with it.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

A bookcase / cabinet countertop ... pony wall ... height that is the same length as the table (open shelving or with glass or solid doors) could be turned to face the entry as a bookcase/curio cabinet and its wainscoting or paneled back could face toward the dining area or ... reversed ... could be turned to face the dining area and hold dining related items.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/21016351/how-to-build-a-columned-room-divider

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Would not want another "table" to take on the task of the room divider. In a small space, you want every item useful but not outsized to make the space seem smaller.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Consider a washable rug runner the same length as the dining table and bookcase/cabinet you choose as a room divider. Make sure it is non slip and the edges all lie flat against the floor so it is not a stumble hazard. Also be sure it is intended for high traffic. A multicolored rug will not show dirt as much as a solid color will.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kim: here is a pic of our rug from the site we got it from. Should the runner be close to this color? I don’t want anything to clash too much.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Suezbell: thanks for your help and advice. We will think about the pony wall. I am trying not to close the space off too much since it is already small.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kim: the site where I purchased the rug from also has a matching runner. Would that be okay to match them? Or should I go with a different pattern or solid color?

• Kim H
    2 years ago

I would probably go with something different. It’ll make it more interesting. Here’s a few that I found that could go with it. The first 2 are from Target and the others are from Wayfair.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

I agree with Kim to get a complementary runner that has an accent color in it to brighten all the gray.

You know, many Design Dilemmas that ask about colors, or a piece of furniture can partially be addressed by working on layout. That's why when you pose a Dilemma, it's important to show all adjoining spaces and rooms. There are likely ways to use you living room to add some small entryway type pieces--floating shelf/mirror I showed you; slim cabinet or table same height as the armchair only partially seen. Please show several photos of the living room so we can see what could add to an entryway feeling.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Housegal200: here are some more pics of the living room. We ordered another end table for the other side of the loveseat. The space behind the couch is narrow. If I bring the couch up more, it interferes with the fireplace. We are also looking for a coffee table for the living room. Still not sure what color runner for the front door. I like pops of color but don’t want it to clash too much in a small space

• housegal200
    2 years ago

You made some lovely choices. If you could move your fireplace facing sofa forward about 12" would a very slim hairpin console table fit behind it to provide entryway piece? You could commission a very affordable sofa table with hairpin legs from Etsy. Now that the furniture sits on the rug and isn't as close to entryway, just get the runner you referenced without color. You like neutrals. Your palette is great.

Is a TV in the living room? If not, you could also reposition one sofa to face the window and put a slim hairpin console behind it, which could be welcoming as you enter.

Here's an Etsy page with may hairpin table possibilities--sofa tables, coffee tables. I like the idea of slightly rustic wood accents for your room to add texture and color without breaking the neutral palette too much.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=hairpin%20table&ref=auto-1

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I like the idea of a narrow console table behind the loveseat. Thanks for the link! For the runner, should I get the matching one? Or get one on with similar tones?

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Not sure. I'm a mix and match person, so I can't really say. Someone else will kick in. Sometimes what's nice is just reversing the colors, i.e. have the runner be mainly the darkest color from living room rug with just a little light tan pattern.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Here are three I like against your floor with your big rug in view:

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

here's an idea just to add some oomph to what you have. I like the wainscot and darker wall, the rug, and a nice loom style pendant light would really make this look good

tried to put it together to show you. textured sisal rug in a dark charcoal or black, the same light over the table, and switch out your planter for a larger/taller white one, like shown here

Also, your two art pieces? too far apart. try moving them in a few inches

I think a banquette set up for that corner w/the table would be ideal. it would give you extra seating, more room, and give you a design punch.

something like this. w/a cool chandelier over the table.

I see you have a floor vent. for that spot, you could do a floating bench,

or a settee,

or have the area open to allow air flow.

or build it like this

you could also do one single bench under the window, (notice the vent grate) and hav some tall cubbies on either side.

replace that plain white mini blind w/a nice roman shade like this, or even a woven wood

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    2 years ago

Foe wall decor..Here are some ideas to ponder. Good luck and enjoy decor !

To check more unique collections please visit my shop -

http://www.pooviartgallery.com

Flow Acrylic Interior design Artworks · More Info

• Maureen
    2 years ago

Suggest a room divider to create somewhat of an entrance and add a runnner to make it feel more like a hallway. There are DIY styles or look for an appropriately sized double sided bookcase and accessorize to suit the “hall“ and dining room.

You could paint the interior of the door and when adding a runner complement color. Adding a light over the table and even a rug, will also help to define the dining room.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maureen: thanks for the ideas. I’m trying not to close off the space because it’s already small. I was considering a rug under the table, but we have the air vent there and the rug would cover that. Also, it would interfere with the barstools being able to pulled out

• Kim H
    2 years ago

You may not want a rug under the table if you have kids anyway, just harder to keep clean than the tile. I love the art that you have in your dining room, could you center it on the table now that you've moved it? It would help define the dining room as it's own space

It also looks like instead of a runner you could use a 5x8 (or maybe 3x5) rug in the area in front of the door, it's hard to tell size from a pic.

Is there a color from the artwork or any pillows that you have that you might want to have in the rug? Blue or green from the art? Yellow/Gold from that big fluffy dog and your mantel decor? Or do you want to stick with the gray/black combo?

I agree with housegal you could move the sofa and loveseat closer into the fireplace and more onto the rug and make it a little cozier.

You have a lovely, serene space and I don't think you need to do much to make it fantastic.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kim H: I agree. The rug would be another thing That would be harder to clean. I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old Great Pyrenees. They make a lot of mess haha.. We will be centering the artwork with the table. We may pull some colors from the art work into the runner too. Thanks so much for all your advice and ideas! I appreciate it!

• Kim H
    2 years ago

Here's a few from Rugs USA that are neutral.

• Kim H
    2 years ago

These are way more colorful and may not be what you like but I thought I'd show you that as long as you have some black and some of the same themes/shapes that you really can go in a lot of different directions for the runner. The pink and black on the bottom is my favorite.

• jenellemarchetti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kim: thanks so much for the runner ideas! I like the bottom one too!