Alexander McCall Smith - Do we like him, or not?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (27)
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Discussions
Alexander Hill Gray
Comments (33)Sherry, I meant "evil" in the very nicest rose enabler way. You could never be any other kind of "evil". Of course I do NEED both so I'm planning a fall order. Rose Petals has Alex in stock now so I just need to decide what else I "need" to add to the order. I'm thinking of waiting until fall, hoping that they have some of the "out of stock" roses back in stock by then. Since I'm putting in a garden at the church, DW is not cringing by my rose buying because I'm not putting these at my own house. It's my new philosophy. If you run out of room for roses in your own garden, start planting in someone else's....See MoreSmith & Noble - Never again
Comments (28)This tells me that we have a lot of genuine influence in the marketplace because of the generous, honest, careful way we treat each other in this forum, which allows us to trust each other. We also are, for the most part, fair in our recommendations and the relating of our experiences. (Here I am, patting us all on the back...) Many companies have special sections in their marketing, PR, or customer service departments whose job it is to monitor "social media," particularly sites like this one, which is full of people from a particular target market. I think it's a great thing. Somebody in their CS or PR department who scans the internet for references to S&N saw your post and kicked it upstairs. What I'm curious about now is, how long has Mr. Constable been in this job, and did the quality erode on his watch, or has he arrived to clean it up? I'd like to know, because I have had one very good and one less than great experience with them. I bought very pretty, well-made, perfectly measured, quickly delivered Roman shades for my kitchen about six years ago. Then about a year and a half ago, they wouldn't take three very expensive six-month-old (never installed) roller shades back and cut them to a shorter length because we were moving to a place with narrower windows. Of course I intended to pay for the shipping and the service, but they just refused....See Morealexander mccall smith
Comments (14)I like the Precious Ramotsswe series the best of all of them. I really didn't like the Poruguese Irregular Verbs series at all, even though I read all three of them, trying to like them. I found that I liked the sequels to The Sunday Philosophy Club better than the original one. I don't mind when Mma Ramotswe philosophizes(it seems to belong with the characters and the setting) but I really got annoyed with Isabel Dalhousie philosophizing. It seemed to make the story drag. At least, I felt that way for the first book in that series, it didn't bother me as much in the later books....See MoreSmith on Rankin
Comments (2)We met Rankin at a book signing in London a couple of years ago. He was personable and very friendly; said he had always wanted to visit Kentucky to do the Bourbon Trail....See More- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

DECLUTTERINGEscape the Inheritance Trap: What to Do With Sentimental Pieces
Too meaningful to toss but too hideous, precious or unusual to display? These ideas can help
Full Story
MIDCENTURY HOMESHouzz Tour: An Eichler Remodel Spawns a Design Career
A homeowner finds her true calling upon redesigning her family's entire California home
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
TRAVEL BY DESIGNCome Away to Northern California Wine Country
The rolling hills and valleys of Napa and Sonoma inspire relaxed interiors and spending time outdoors in these 12 homes
Full Story
TASTEMAKERSTake a Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Netflix’s ‘Grace and Frankie’
Set decorator Beauchamp Fontaine explains the design decisions behind the home sets featured in the new Netflix series
Full Story
KITCHEN BACKSPLASHESNew This Week: 3 Backsplashes That Steal the Show
Bold colors, enticing textures and attention-grabbing graphics bring drama to these 3 kitchens
Full Story
LIVING ROOMS20 of the Coziest Living Rooms on Houzz
Can you really have snuggle-down living room comfort without sacrificing style? See for yourself
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREWhat the Future Holds for 3D Printing in Architecture and Design
Designers worldwide are creating 3D-printed buildings, furnishings and materials. Will we be seeing this trend in our homes?
Full StorySponsored
annpanagain