SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vina538

Replace my Rose with an easier plant

vina538
2 years ago

I have one rose bush that I've had for years because it is sentimental - the rose is the same name as the business that hubby & I founded and was a gift from my late mother. At that location the shrub was about 4 ft tall with massive flowers that were held up on strong stems. I had a local rose grower propagate it for me when we sold the business and brought it to our new home.

The business was located on the farm and when my husband sprayed the fruit trees, the roses also got sprayed. Now that we live "in town" (8 years) my rose has problems. The flower heads flop - it does not have the strong stems in this location (I blame that on the different soil). But worse, the Japanese beetles are relentless. I spray them, but need to do it at least once a week. Which I don't want to do.

I'm pretty much past the sentimentality because of the flopping flowers, providing lunch for bunnies, and the Japanese beetles.

My question is - can you suggest what to replace my rose with? Something about 3 ft wide and tall.

Full sun, clay soil, zone 6.

The garden bed is not big (only about 10 x 25 ft) and my larger plants are coneflower, daylilies, daisies, peonies, iris, two shrubs.

I have thought about a Bobo hydrangea, but would like suggestions for summer flowering something.

Many thanks for helping me out!

Comments (11)