SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric_mckian

How can I get my dryer to vent fully to the outside?

Eric McKian
2 years ago

I recently bought a 15-year-old house with a dryer in the finished basement. One day while running the dryer, I decided to check the exhaust outside and I noticed that there wasn't much air flow when I put my hand against the exhaust vent. This combined with clothes taking a cycle and a half to dry made me wonder if the dryer vent had ever been cleaned before.
I bought one of the DIY cleaning kits on Amazon and got to work. However, once I removed the caulking from the outside dryer vent and took the vent out, I noticed there was a combination of lint and insulation in the wall cavity. I ran the dryer to investigate where the duct is, and sure enough, the duct ends at the top right corner in the video below.
http://imgur.com/a/TYKSM2F
I'm assuming that this whole time, the dryer has been exhausting hot, moist air into my wall cavity. Not great!
I ran the dryer cleaning kit from the inside (got most of the way until hitting a snag - will try from the outside in to get all the lint) but my question is, given the location of the duct, would I be able to use two sheet metal elbows to connect that duct there in the corner to the exterior vent? Is there any other option I should consider here?
Thanks.

Comments (7)