Please do this little check each morning...wish I'd known
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (12)
Related Discussions
Things I'd wished I'd known about Ventahood before buying ...
Comments (51)I am curious about how the actual flow rate was measured. Typically, a door opening is utilized as an instrumented flow path. At the door, one could measure by the pressure drop through a calibrated venturi, but in that case there would be a pressure drop and not only would that cut the actual flow rate of the hood, but there would be some house leakage not measured. Alternatively, if there were also a fan in the path keeping the house pressure at zero to the outside, while also measuring the flow through the fan (by whatever means), then the flow rate measured should be the static value for the entire hood system. Of course, without the test fan providing zero differential, the actual flow will be less depending on where the MUA is sourced. No magic is involved. kas Correction: In an early message above, I asserted: "A fan at the hood can more easily overcome flow resistance between the hood and the outdoors, but normally this resistance is small, a few tenths of an inch w.g., so attic and roof mount fans work fine when properly sized." I now doubt that it matters much whether the restriction is before or after the fan, as most fans have fan curves that are based on total pressure drop around the path and do not differentiate between pushing and pulling. Differences could result from turbulence interacting with structures on one side or the other of the fan, and in such cases the actual flow might differ slightly for the same fan. I don't know how VAH squirrel-cage blowers might behave in this respect....See Morefaucet info-wish I'd known sooner!
Comments (12)One more thing: if buying a Grohe online from ebay or other resellers, it's worth asking if the faucet is the redesigned version that does not rotate back. I bet the old version is being sold at a mark-down. macybaby and doggonegrdener, moving the handle to the front will work well for your faucets, since the handles are fairly small. It wouldn't work for the Concetto because the handle is pretty big and really gets in the way, and it has the red and blue markings that zelmar mentioned, which makes the swapping lines solution unworkable. buehl, swapping the lines is simple, and of course my GC mentioned it, but the red/blue markings would be backwards and I wasn't willing to cover or blacken them out as would have been required. It's also too honkin' big a handle to be in the front unfortunately. abundantblessing, the Kalia faucets are totally dreamy and I considered the Elito earlier, which does not have the blue/red markings but does rotate back a full 45 degrees. I've always had great luck with Grohe, so I decided to stick with that, and save a few bucks over Kalia. sammieccanada, does your ladylux3 rotate back a full 45 degrees? iT looks beautiful in your kitchen and I'm sure I'll love it....See MoreWhat do wish you'd known?
Comments (34)Coming from the industry I really find this thread very informative. From the posts the biggest surprise to me was no one mentioned "I wish I had installed automation on my pool". Maybe it is explained everyone did get automation when they installed the pool. Automation for a pool is like a remote for a TV. The least surprising thing I read was the concern of all the power used by a pool and driving up electric bills. In defense of the PB; the IntelliFlo and Intelliflo 4 speed are very recent product introductions to our industry. These products change the way a PB has thought about pumps in the past. Unfortunately the prevailing PB's thinking was: the bigger the pump the better. A 2 HP power had to be better than a 1.5 HP pump. Actually if you only have 2" suction pipe they are both about the same except the 2HP will be louder because the 2" pipe cannot draw the water required to operate the pump effectively. This thinking has been really around since the beginning of time. Now a company comes out with a completely different pump that requires completely different thinking. The thinking now has to be: Take a pump and set the RPM's of the pump to operate the pool at it most optimum, efficient performance. No more bigger is better thinking. It will be only a matter of time before all the choices of HP are no longer available - just one pump and you set the RPM speed. Presently the minimum energy savings of a IntelliFlo pump verses a standard pump is 30%. That is due to the rare earth magnets that are used in the motor. A long story short a standard pool pump needs to create a magnetic field through the motor windings to turn the shaft of the motor. The IntelliFl pump is a magnetic and this alone saves 30%. Now set the RPM's for the actual GPM your pool requires and the savings begin to move from 30% up 90%. The savings will average 60% on most pools. That means if your bill is $100.00; it will now be $40.00. Lastly two more points: PGE and other utilities offer a minimum of $250.00 rebate for just buying this pump and this pump can do more than one application. In other words and in many cases you can replace a pump therefore having one pump do two applications - that equals super savings. Each day more and more PB's are beginning to understand the concept and see the benefits of these pumps. A month ago at a industry show in Las Vegas there was a IntelliFlo/ Variable Speed seminar and the room had well over 200 people in it. A year ago this seminar was not even offered....See MoreBefore I lose it I thought I'd ask for help! Please! Pics
Comments (20)What types of evergreens? If they are close to the neighbors side, are they ok with that? Some evergreens shed their needles and can be messy. Some grow quickly, some grow very slow, most grow in width as well as up and will quickly spread into the space there...and most are likely to give a lot of shade, meaning that you will be limited on what you can plant around them if there is not much sun. Pachysandra is a nice ground cover, very low maintainence and stays green all year. But, it does spread fast. I wouldn't put any ground cover if you have any desire to grow flower there at any point. If it were me, I would put up a hedge type shrub to act as a fence along the neighbors side, look for one that is pretty tame and grows fast - then you won't have to look at that boat. Gotta love people who park boats in their yard. We have neighbors with a boat the size of Rhode Island in their back yard. They got it cheap after Hurricane Katrina, took a flat bed truck and a crane to get it up here to the northeast, they put it in the yard, and there it has sat for the last several years - they worked on it for one summer and then just forgot about it, not even bothering to cover it in the winter...slowly it is turning into the world's largest birdhouse and the neighborhood's biggest eyesore...but what the heck. I digress... Anyway, hedges. Yes. And then something pretty and fast growing, centered in that space there. Like a Bradford Pear or a Wheeping Cherry. Plant pachysandra around it, or make a nice little flower bed with decorative rocks or whatever your husband wants. That's what I would do! Good luck!...See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWSWhat Pros Wish They’d Known Before Starting Their Firms
Save time, money and hassle by heeding the words of experienced pros running their own businesses
Full Story
HOUZZ PRODUCT NEWSWhat 4 Pros Wish They’d Known When Starting Their Businesses
Remodeling and design pros share the lessons they’ve learned that could save a new business time, money and hassle
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Check Out a 'Project Runway' Winner's Brooklyn Studio
Does success in clothing design translate to a fashionable apartment? See for yourself in Gretchen Jones' New York City rental
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESPattern Focus: Buffalo Check
This farmhouse-friendly pattern has a wide range of uses in the home
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
CONTRACTOR TIPSHow to Check the Quality of a Contractor’s Work
Make sure your remodeler lives up to promises and expectations before you make the hire
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESFinish Your Remodel Right: 10 Tasks to Check Off
Nail down these key details to ensure that everything works properly and you’re all set for the future
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESCheck Out Our Sweepstakes Winners' 2-Room Makeover
The laundry room's organization needed ironing out. The guest bath didn't make a splash. See the makeovers a Kentucky couple won
Full Story
CONTAINER GARDENSLittle by Little: Why Growing a Bonsai Could Change Your Life
Tap into the gentle and intriguing world of bonsai and let it teach you the joy of patience
Full Story
CONTEMPORARY HOMESMy Houzz: Check Out the Curves on This Cliffside Home
Circular forms star in a home on a Washington gorge, from the boulder pile downstairs to an exterior side with nary a straight line
Full Story
amicusOriginal Author