SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_hoyos7263938

help me design around this huge piece!

Jessica Hoyos
2 years ago

I’m so stuck and apologize if this post is too long. If you don’t want to read, here is the issue: I have to find a way to design around this huge, red, sideboard. What I’m particularly interested is what art to put above it (or any well decor l, really). It currently has some art set atop it that I don’t have to keep but I sort of like how the colors are muted compared to the red… and I think they go? I’m not sure and would love some ideas on how to decorate above this red sideboard.

Why do I have to keep the sideboard? Well I think it’s awesome but mostly because my husband built it and there is no way I could move it without really hurting his feelings. I think it’s amazing but it’s so huge and the red is SO bold. And I have these red chairs that accidentally match it (that I actually got for free from work- they are old office furniture. I could get rid of them but they retail for almost 3K each and are super comfortable and unique so I’m thinking I should keep them). I don’t think I want to pay to reupholster because I assume since it’s such a specific shape it would get costly to customize. So for the sake of this argument, let’s say the chairs stay.

My husband is currently building a coffee table that will replace this old ikea one we had. The table will be a grey/walnut type color and a little lower than the current one we have and it will be very simple and with black, thin, iron legs.

The artwork can stay or go but I LOVE the 2 pieces you see in the last photo and I think they- Oddly enough- go well with the red. All other decor (candles, things on the coffee table, guitar) can also change.

I really am open to anything but realistically, the things that will stay are the white couch, the rug and of course, the sideboard. I’m open to getting rid of the red chairs and changing up the art.
Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (27)