SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate7467

Bringing Life To A Kitchen With Knotty Pine (?) Cabinets

Kate D.
2 years ago

Hello! This is my first post, so hopefully I don't commit any forum faux-paux - I would love your insight!

We are moving and the kitchen is small with what I think is knotty-pine cabinets. The house was built late 50's but I'm not sure if the cabinets are original because I'm not super familiar with design trends through the decades! I DO know that I want to try and honor the knotty pine instead of painting everything like everyone else my age is doing (haha...)

My issue is - I was looking forward to doing a backsplash but with the way the window extends to the countertop and the placement of the fridge, it leaves an awkward, tiny rectangle for backsplash (and then across the aisle above the range, is one small section of countertop with two cabinets - also an awkwardly small space). So, is adding a backsplash out of the question here?

I'd like to paint the walls to brighten up the space, but I'm open to something other than white. I actually don't mind the green in the photo, but it's not quite what I want for the space. I love the small, older homes and describe my personal design style as "midcentury cozy" - I love the look of midcentury modern but it's not entirely practical for us - I also love the cottage look. I just want something that makes me happy and looks homey, because I love to cook. Any suggestions for this space?

Comments (22)