**July Reading**
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (81)
Related Discussions
trying to seed midnight kgb in triad, nc in july ??
Comments (7)Well, last year, it was doing just great up until our no rain drought started and within a month to month and a half, was completely brown. The base soil has majority sand. I plugged in the fall and reseeded and had a nice base again this year, however, the first week that we had without rain and summer temps to go along with it, everything was starting to brown and water would not save it. After reading a lot on here as well as a few other sites, I found that Midnight KBG sounds like a winner for this area. I read that it thrives in full sun (which I have) and also thrives in a sandy soil and if taken care of properly, will withstand the kinds of droughts we have around here. I will definitely be waiting to reseed, but wasnt sure if I could around the end of July. Guess I will keep an eye on the temps and if they seem to staying closer to 80 than 90, I may be able to get away with it, but since the price of this KBG is not cheap, I am not taking any chances. Another question.......as far as putting down lime, is there such thing as putting too much lime down ? I just want to make sure that I get the pH level where it needs to be prior to seeding. I am currently taking a pH test of the lawn....See MoreHow did you choose your current read?
Comments (21)I chose my current read, Emily, Alone by Stewart O'Nan, when an older friend told me that when she read it, she felt she was reading a book written about herself. She wondered how a male author could be so insightful about the details of an elderly widowed woman's life and thoughts. When I expressed interest at her reaction to the book, she went into another room and came back with a copy which she then handed to me. So I felt somewhat obligated ... but also truly interested. As I'm reading it, I'm visualizing my friend starring in the movie, which is kind of a comical novelty. I'm also wondering how literal the similarities to her life are. I'm sure we'll have another interesting discussion after I finish. By the way, I kind of wish I had not borrowed her rather pristine copy. It's paperback and I fell asleep reading it the other night, and later awakened to a seriously bent cover and curled corner. Do you think I should buy her a new copy?...See MoreJuly reading list........what are you enjoying ?
Comments (67)I'm reading A Belle of the Fifties, the memoir of a Southern woman in the 1850s. It was published in about 1905 and she was still an unreformed pro-slavery ardent Southerner. Her husband had been a senator from Alabama and she has a lot to say about social life and fashion in Washington DC in the years leading up to the Civil War. She seems very shallow. I have just arrived at secession in early 1861--she was all for it--so we'll see what happens next. Her name was Virginia Clay Clopton tho someone else put the book together from her diaries and notes and verbal input....See MoreWhat are you reading? - July 2026 Edition
Comments (34)Re-read The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee. Read it about 10 years ago and enjoyed it the second time as much as I did then. Lacking familiarity with natural science let alone molecular biology, I read most sections 6 or 7 times to digest the connections made. Mukherjee’s ability to transform the most complex ideas and the historical evolution of scientific theories into a captivating narrative, wrapped in glorious prose, is enviable. I felt the same about his other book, The Gene. I didn’t finish The Song of the Cell, which I started a year ago, and that’s my next read. Some books leave me regretful that I'm not a scientist. His are definitely that kind, because the beauty of the theories and concepts comes through clearly even to a lay person like me, and leave me wanting to understand more. Cormac McCarthy’s Stella Maris left me with a deep yearning for mathematics. (I have better familiarity with mathematical theories than natural science and that only made the yearning more pressing.)...See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

LIFE8 Ways to Make the Most of a July Weekend
Savor summertime on the porch, simplify a little, shop for something special or add a fun feature to your yard
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGood Read: ‘Landscaping Ideas That Work’
Get a landscape architect’s strategies — along with gorgeous, inspiring photos — for a yard you’ll really enjoy
Full Story
HOLIDAYS100 Homes Around the U.S. Say Happy Fourth of July!
Enjoy a visual tour of houses and gardens stretching from mountains to desert and sea to shining sea
Full Story
CONTEMPORARY HOMESHouzz Tour: Passive Energy and a Reading Nook in Oregon
A builder’s Craftsman-style home features super insulation, a photovoltaic system and a cozy getaway under the stairs
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSJuly Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Pare back inside while you fire up outside for the Fourth. And why not donate some spare produce while you're at it?
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGTo-Dos: Your July Home Checklist
Get your safety and housekeeping ducks in a row so you can splash into carefree summer fun
Full Story
NORTHEAST GARDENINGNortheast Gardener's July Checklist
Fire up your garden with sun-loving yellow and red blooms to put you in a party mood for outdoor summer fun
Full Story
HOME INNOVATIONSConsidering Renting to Vacationers? Read This First
More people are redesigning their homes for the short-term-rental boom. Here are 3 examples — and what to consider before joining in
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESSoutheast Gardener: What to Do in July
Time to claim your prize: a bounty of fruits, veggies and flowers, but don’t forget to keep an eye on weeds, pests and water
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESCentral Plains Gardener's July Checklist
Can you believe there are only 2 important garden tasks this month? Find out what they are here
Full Story
vee_new