SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina_lauderdale

Colors are way off in Paint Visualizers

Nina Lauderdale
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I've been "trying on" exterior paint colors by uploading photos into the Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore visualizer tools. It must have to do with the lighting, but the shades displayed on the photo were way off from the chip. In one case, in order to get a yellow that wasn't pumpkin colored, i had to pick a green. And I found a pewter color that looked correct on my front facade but was so light it was basically off-white under my covered porch. I spent hours trying to come up with something that looked pleasing to me by picking "off" colors (like green for yellow) or using a very dark grey on the porch to approximate the pewter. But even having achieved a look I like, the paint codes will be wrong.

Any tips?

I live in Texas, so I'm dealing with strong sun.

Also, I found 2 professional photos online with exterior colors I like, but struggled for hours to find the best match by hand (at least on BM. The SW tool is easier in that regard.) Is there a good way to find a paint color that matches a picture? I tried the S-W tool where you upload a photo and it gives you their paint colors that best match the colors in the photo. I tried it with the two photos and the color match was way off. Like they suggested a beige for an orangy yellow and a steel gray for a silvery blue.

Comments (7)